Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:37 PM
WAHM Addict

Default Interesting Article About DS

Make A Living Writing Blog Archive Demand Studios’ IPO Reveals More Reasons Writers Should be Wary - Frank advice about the business of writing.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Awesome WAHM

One thing I am curious about:

I'd love to see a 400 word article that someone gets 1 dollar or 2 dollars a word for and compare it to a 400 word article someone got 20 bucks for. I wonder how different the quality really is.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Super WAHM

Interesting. There were some counter arguments to the posts' interpretation in the comments that were interesting too.

I hope they don't go under, but yeah, this makes me nervous.

M
Old 08-11-2010, 03:11 PM
WAHM Fanatic

The author of that article is very biased against content mills; I've read her blog before. Take what she writes with a grain of salt .
Old 08-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Awesome WAHM

I'm sorry but her attitude is actually what's wrong with the market. Even if she was trying to "help" us poor peons I'm honestly think I'd tell her to shove her help where the sun doesn't shine. Ok vent over.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Awesome WAHM

I just find it hard to believe that someone is really spending 400 dollars worth of time on an article... (her example of a dollar a word).

Even when I write for Graduate School I don't spend 400 dollars worth of time on one page of writing.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:54 PM
WAHM Addict

I just found it interesting and something to think about
Old 08-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed View Post
I just find it hard to believe that someone is really spending 400 dollars worth of time on an article... (her example of a dollar a word).

Even when I write for Graduate School I don't spend 400 dollars worth of time on one page of writing.
She doesn't spend more than an hour or so for $400, she just charges that much. That's fine and great but it does take time and effort AND requires that you don't have to be paid withing 30-90 days necessarily b/c big companies do just that. It's an awesome thing to strive for, I just don't care for her attitude.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writermommy4 View Post
She doesn't spend more than an hour or so for $400, she just charges that much. That's fine and great but it does take time and effort AND requires that you don't have to be paid withing 30-90 days necessarily b/c big companies do just that. It's an awesome thing to strive for, I just don't care for her attitude.
Right and this is my point. Those of us who choose, right now, to write for less are not "less than" her. Our products are not any less researched than hers.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Awesome WAHM

I don't write for DS nor do I really do that much writing for any clients anymore, so I don't have a biased opinion, but why does she care about DS if she doesn't write for them and she can't stand them? This isn't her first article about DS and other content mills that she can't stand. I don't understand why she would waste her time writing about them if her time is so precious she gets paid $2 a word to write an article. She says that she does it to help people see how much of a waste content mills are but she doesn't come off that way. She just comes off as being snotty and above other people.

Anyways, as for DS not making money, she doesn't take into consideration the other people that are on DS's payroll like tech staff, website designers and probably several admin assistants. She thinks it is just writers and an editor when with the type of business they are running they have more than just writers and editors they have to pay.