Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:21 AM
WAHM Regular

Frizz,
I agree, pretty much every single sentence needs to be sourced. Even if it's a common-sense, logical statement you need a reputable site to back it up. So even if it's a "rewrite" you have to make sure the old article's sources back up everything the old article is saying, or you'll basically be writing a completely new article.
It's all very very time consuming. It also seems I'm being evaluated by the contractors--the big dogs once a month. Those evaluations compare you to all other writers. So though my scores are okay, and I received a small raise last month, in comparison to other writers I'm just not writing enough articles and I now have a low rank from the contractors.
Either way, I find the job to be extremely stressful and I hope I'm getting closer to moving on.

My advice to new writers, as someone else said, be careful what articles you check out. I actually do research before checking out an article to make sure there is enough reputable information on the topic.

Last edited by Bella Pearl; 09-25-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2012, 11:43 AM
WAHM Regular

Bingo regarding the evaluations. It's been once a month for me, too, and the small raise. I fall in the middle of the pack for both types of evaluations, but I was initially not writing enough/too slow. The only way I was able to fix that situation was to start with the "prepping" on my own time, which I hate, but I need the steady income. So, I'm settling for getting paid some of the time rather than losing the job and not getting paid except from my other inconsistent (but more enjoyable) eggs. Sometimes, just doing all the stuff required in the source tab for so many sources takes me 20 minutes! I see these posts from people just getting ready to start who are so happy and excited and remember that I was there once.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Pearl View Post
My advice to new writers, as someone else said, be careful what articles you check out. I actually do research before checking out an article to make sure there is enough reputable information on the topic.
I've learned to do that as well. If the occupation isn't covered in the BLS, I move on.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:46 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Ms. Frizz and Bella Pearl, I had the same experience that you are both having. I was also really excited as a new writer for Remilon, but wow, did that change fast. It stinks that you have to work off the clock just to keep your stats up.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:53 AM
WAHM Regular

Anyone still writing for Remilon? How's it going?

I like the steady work, but I'm getting annoyed with all the crappy editors. It seems like some of them haven't even read the guidelines for the articles they are supposed to be editing. I wish there was some more oversight on that department. It gets frustrating when you have to contest every rating.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Super WAHM

I'm still writing for Remilon, and I know what you mean about the editors. I've had good experiences with most, but it amazes me that some even ARE editors, since they take off points for things they obviously shouldn't. I don't contest every rating, because sometimes I do make mistakes, but when editors make really obvious mistakes, I think they might be new and in their learning curve, and I've had good luck having my scores adjusted more than 50% of the time. Although the pay is low, they start you above minimum wage, and I'm pleased that I've received 3 raises in 9 months. At that rate I believe it is worthwhile, especially since I can work the hours I want and don't have to waste time and gas commuting to a job I dislike. I enjoy writing and like working at home.

My first evaluation was disappointing, but the two since then have been very good. I'm struggling with a new guideline now, so I don't know if I'll receive an evaluation this month. I am disappointed that I had an outstanding guidance editor and senior editor, and now I have different ones who don't respond as fast to questions and seem to be offline a lot. I guess I got spoiled by the really good ones I started out with.

Last edited by Lumara; 11-13-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-13-2012, 08:11 PM
WAHM Regular

For the most part, the editors have been pretty good. I was just crabby earlier today. It seems like the couple who don't understand the guidelines are also the ones who want to mark everything as a critical error though. I think that's the part that annoys me the most.

My guidance and senior editors are also amazing. Do you get new editors when you switch guidelines?

I've only had one evaluation so far, and it was really good. No raises yet though. Are you hoping to be promoted to an editor?

Anyway, thanks for replying. Ultimately, I am still happy to have this opportunity. It just gets frustrating at times. I'm glad to hear that you are still happy and sticking with it. Congrats on all the raises! May I ask how much each raise was?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Super WAHM

You keep the same guidance and senior editors when you switch to a new guideline, but the content editors seem to change.

I goofed; I've earned 2 raises in the 9 months I've been working there, not 3, but those 2 raises were only 3 months apart, so when I hit the year mark, I'm hoping for another one. The first raise was after I had been writing for them for 6 months, and the second, 3 months later. I'll PM you the amount.

I'm not interested in becoming an editor. I know they make more, but going around behind someone and checking all their sources would be a chore, and I enjoy writing more.

Last edited by Lumara; 11-14-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 AM
WAHM Regular

Thanks for all the info.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Super WAHM

I have a question for the others who work for Remilon:

Do the content editors receive a score for how they edit like the writers receive a score for how we write? I'm asking because I'm pretty disgusted with one right now. She gave me a low score and then screwed up the Wiki code in 2 rows of the table so that it is messed up, then started a paragraph with a lowercase letter at the beginning of a sentence fragment. Even I don't mess up that badly, and it was very aggravating to have someone give me a low score who screwed up the article like that! That hasn't happened before.

I wrote her and politely pointed out the screwups (although I didn't call them that). I hope that was proper protocol. Changes needed to be made to fix those glaring errors, and I figured that was better than "tattling" to a senior editor. I hope someone scores her, though, because that was bad.