Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

View Poll Results: What do you think?
I will never get paid for the article she accepted. 4 18.18%
The client is always right just suck it up and move on. Forget about it. 3 13.64%
She was very unprofessional, and I'm lucky I got out when I did. Forget about it. 20 90.91%
Hey that's what People's Court is for! 1 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2009, 06:05 PM
WAHM Regular

Post Fired? Ouch...

Background: received this assignment from a client...
Article 1 Keyword phrase: xxxxx
Article 2 Keyword phrase: xxxxx

Those are the first two articles. Those are the keyword phrases. Each article only has one keyword phrase. I'll worry about a compelling title if you can just write up two professional articles geared toward the intelligent business crowd.
If you can use the keyword phrase 3 times throughout naturally throughout each article, that would be great.

Thanks so much. I just need them by tomorrow evening or Monday morning. If you like them, I have more. No one else wants them. They don't know anything about stocks. Just be sure the articles you use for research are very recent, since i know things change a lot. But on these articles, probably not.

Thanks so much!

Read my email Monday Morning and client is emailing writing team and reassigning articles because she has not received articles "on time".

Had the first article finished, so I sent it solo at 7am PST and let the client know I still had work to do on the second. I received this response: Briefly looked over the first one and it seems fine. I'll edit it and wait on the second. Thank you I just get a bit freaked out because I've had some "no show" articles.

Sent in the second article at 7:58 am PST and received this response:

I am sorry but your work was late and you didn't even follow directions. This morning at 10 am you let me know that you were "editing" work that you did last night. I don't take kindly to liars and I knew you were running behind and avoiding me. You didn't write these til today. The only instructions for this simple article was to include the keywords. You said that you could not manage that. The simplest of writers can figure out a way to include keywords naturally. Are you kidding me?

DO NOT bill me for the second article, since it is a joke. People THINK they are writers... They PRESENT themselves as writers... but they are FAR from it.

Since you have not found a way to put the keywords I asked for 3 times naturally, which was the clients request, this is a breach of contract and you are cut from the team. I have a lot of work right now and will not put up with sub-par performance. I plan on increasing everyone's pay according to performance. I guess you are the first example of poor performance.

Thank you for what you've done, but you are no longer a part of xxxx team. I am forwarding this message to all other writers on our team.

Here is my too polite response to the rude behavior of this client:
I appreciate your candor xxxx, and I hope in the future you can truly think about your words before you send them in an email. FYI the first article was written last night. The second article was halfway done when I went to sleep last night. The first thing I did when I got up at 7am this morning was finish up the second article. If you can find a way to put the phrase what is capital gains into the article three times, be my guest.

I don't appreciate being called a liar and I don't appreciate being insulted. The least you could do is be civil. At any rate, I will only bill you for the first article.

Good luck on your future endeavors.

What do you think?
A - I will never get paid for the article she accepted.
B - The client is always right, just suck it up and move on -- forget the $10 and the article she is using.
C - She was very unprofessional, and I'm lucky I got out when I did -- forget the $10 and the article she is using..
D - Hey that's what People's Court is for!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Super WAHM

I think the issue here may have been a time zone issue. I am not saying this woman is right - she is not, and I think she would have been a nightmare to keep working with - but you sent the 2nd article at about 8 a.m. PST. It sounds like she is on EST or in another time zone, where it was 11 a.m. or even into the afternoon.

You are probably not going to get paid for the article, but I would drop her a note to let her know that, since it is not paid for, she does not have the right to use it. Let her know you will be putting it up for sale at another site or using it on your own site. This isn't worth small claims court at $10/article.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:33 PM
WAHM Regular

Thanks for the response. Good advice.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:51 PM
WAHM Fanatic

You are entitled to payment for the article that she accepted, and I hope you receive it.

While I can understand the client's displeasure about the keyword phrase not being repeated as she instructed (yes, "what is capital gains" is an awkward phrase. but that's par for the course with some SEO articles), her response was entirely unprofessional and harsh. She said "by Monday morning"--11 AM her time is still Monday morning. It sounds like the article could have been corrected without much difficulty, if she hadn't flown off the handle with her "you're off the team!" outburst.

Move on...and good luck!
Old 11-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Super WAHM

She doesn't have the right to use an article that she didn't pay you for, so I would immediately post that article on another site and tell her that you are doing so. That way, the article won't pass CopyScape so she won't be able to use it as an article of her own.

Frankly, I think you're lucky that you got out this early in the game. She sounds like a tool to work with. There are better clients out there.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:31 PM
WAHM Addict

Keyword requirements are keyword requirements. You just have to make them work. I've had 8 and 9-word phrases that seemed impossible to include several times, but you find a way. Honestly, I wouldn't have accepted an article where the keyword wasn't used as instructed, but I would have been polite about it and let you know that the requirements weren't met. Having her freak out like that is just ridiculous. There are thousands of clients out there who won't do that, so you're better off never having to work for her again. It sounds like she's saying she will pay for the first one that was accepted, and that's what I think she should so.

Last edited by Hoping2; 11-16-2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Super WAHM

Wow. I would be glad that you don't have to deal with her anymore. I got a rejection email once that asked if I was a 10 year old for an article that they didn't like. You can't make everyone happy. Let it go and move on. Do try and get paid for the article, though.

Cheer up and keep writing.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:24 PM
WAHM Addict

Thumbs down Nut Job!

I'm sorry this happened to you! It sounds like this person is disturbed - nice and polite in the first email and in the second, doesn't even sound like the same person. To say she was unprofessional is an understatement.

Best wishes,

Blinky :-)
Old 11-17-2009, 07:13 AM
Super WAHM

I avoid like the plague keyword phrases that are grammatically incorrect or awkward sounding. Can't make anybody happy if their keywors are crap

Sorry, baby on lap..

J
Old 11-17-2009, 08:19 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Thanks

Thanks for all of your responses. I needed to find out if I was just being thin-skinned, or if others thought that was totally uncalled for. I think sometimes working in the isolation of home can cause me to overreact to innocuous internet talk.

Also, I understand about keyword requirements. One of my gigs requires me to use them at least 8 times throughout the article. I know how to do it, and I probably could have pulled it off on the article in question; however, it would not have "sounded natural," and I was somehow under the impression that using the phrase three times "would be great," but that it was not a requirement. Guess I read that one wrong.

Even if she chose not to use the second article and to cut me from the team, the email was over the top.

I still have not gotten paid for the article she accepted. The last $8.00 she accepted she paid for a month later. After I sent her three emails she said "oops I forgot, sorry." Why didn't I just let this client fade away then? Anyway, she has until 12 noon PST to pay me for this article, after that I will follow this good advice above and let her know I am selling the article to someone else, and she should not use it.

Thanks again for the support!

Shannon