Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

View Poll Results: What do you think?
I will never get paid for the article she accepted. 4 18.18%
The client is always right just suck it up and move on. Forget about it. 3 13.64%
She was very unprofessional, and I'm lucky I got out when I did. Forget about it. 20 90.91%
Hey that's what People's Court is for! 1 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2010, 05:58 PM
WAHM Regular

Yikes! I just got a PM from another writer who used to work for ex client. She says she completed assignments for said ex client just before Christmas. She waited until AFTER Christmas to request payment. Ex client went on a rant and claims she never received the assignments and that she tried to IM the writer for three days. Writer says she never received any IMs from ex client.

Writer no longer works for ex client and is happy about that. Me too! I'm just bummed that ex client got articles for free and once again has shafted a writer.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2010, 06:01 PM
WAHM Regular

Anyhow, my DMCA letters are ready to go out tomorrow. It's the PRINCIPLE of the matter...not the $20. I hope website owner removes copyrighted material and drops ex client.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:59 PM
WAHM Regular

I would email her and politely ask for payment within x amount of days. She has to pay you for the work you completed or she does not have the rights to use it. Make sure to mention to her that if you do not receive payment for the article that you will be submitting it to another site. GL!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:49 AM
Super WAHM

My 2 cents...

Yes, keywords can get awkward at times, but that's part of our job as writers. Sometimes clients do not care if the keyword sounds odd in their article, they are simply trying to optimize their article so it ranks well in search engines. This is where you say to yourself..."oh well, I didn't pick the keyword" and simply write as instructed.

Now with that being said, in my opinion, I think the client was completely unprofessional in the way she presented herself. There is a much more mature way to say that the work did not meet requirements.

As far as the article that is not being paid...that belongs to you and not her and she has no right using it since she did not pay you for it. You have every right to sell it or use it. I would let her know that though. And, like the others said, forget about her and move on. There is no need beating yourself up over someone as unprofessional as that.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:59 AM
WAHM Regular

Thanks Colly,
I agree with everything you've said. Now my problem is that the website owner feels that he has purchased articles from my ex client, and now he is the owner of them. He feels that payment issues are between ex client and I.

For me there are no payment issues between ex client and I. They are my articles and he is stealing my stuff. Since he continues to do so I am forced to either use legal means to have said articles removed, or just let him steal my stuff.

What would you do?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Writely Applied

It sucks for him, but if she didn't have the rights to transfer the content to him, he has to remove it and go after her to get his money back. If someone sold him a stolen car, he'd be out a car.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:17 PM
WAHM Regular

Starbirdy, that's the same scenario I posed to him, which is what Angela Hoy gave to me. He doesn't care. He is the paying client, and wait... here is his email:

Yes, this is a waste of words. Congratulations - we agree on something.

I have paid for 10 articles and recieved 6 - 2 of which are problematic. From my perspective - the perspective of the actual client - this is terrible business practice and an awful experience. Your problems with XXXX are not mine. I have paid XXXX in advance of her instructing you. You should really be taking your issues for payment up with her. As far as I am concerned, the service I have received is substandard and I have asked her for a refund.

I am sure that if I could be bothered in taking this to a lawyer - as you keep threatening to do to me - that I could make a claim from you for breach of copyright since I have paid for the articles and you have published them when you clearly should not have done so.
I have altered the articles and the sentence you quote has been removed from the site. Google's cache has not caught up yet, but the sentence is gone. Please read the articles. I am sure you will learn something about the work of a stockbroker.

If I may be so bold as to ask, I have no concept of why you are defending yourself so aggressively when the amount of money you have requested is US$15. I cannot imagine for a moment that this is worth your time. It certainly is not worth mine, which is why I changed the articles. I believe that I - as client - am in the right and that you are in the wrong, but it is not worth the effort to me to argue over it. I have much better things to do.

Should you contact me further, for any matter, I shall take the action which is easiest to me. I am a professional Search Engine Optimiser and I shall create a number of unflattering articles with your name as the primary keyword. Should people - future employers perhaps? - choose to Google your name for information about you, they will find my unflattering prose ranked very highly. This will be virtually impossible for you to remove and will likely be there for years. In fact, once there, it will be almost impossible for me to remove, you will have no chance.

I would like to finish this message in the way that I have finished other messages to you:

I see no reason why you should feel the need to contact me further. Please do not.

Last edited by shan90805; 01-22-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:19 PM
WAHM Regular

Unfortunately his "altered articles" would NOT pass copyscape. A point I made to him in a previous email. I do have attorney friends, and they would fight this for free for me, but is it worth the hassle?

At this point I am just going to publish MY articles EVERYWHERE I want to and let him deal with "original content".

I'm tired of the headache.

Now to get back to paying work!
Old 01-22-2010, 01:38 PM
WAHM Fanatic

OMG, he is as big of a jerk as your ex-client!

If you contact Angela again and give her all of the details, she may be able to help you expose both of them in her Whispers and Warnings column. They are both underhanded, unethical, extremely unprofessional people and I wouldn't let them get away with it.

Here's a link to Angela's column:

WritersWeekly.com - Whispers And Warnings
Old 01-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Awesome WAHM

Umm, I cannot believe he is threatening to print horrible articles about you. He says it's not worth his time yet he won't pay you $15. Uh, hello?