Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:52 PM
WAHM Regular

I'm curious. What would you say is your single best tip for fast research?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Super WAHM

I'd love to see the replies to this one also. Sorry I can't be of help,lol.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:49 AM
WAHM Regular

Well, I primarily stick to articles in subjects I know. Most of the articles I write are health-related so when I'm working I have WebMD, Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, NIH, CDC, RxList, and a few others in a separate bookmark so I can open them right up.

I also have the search feature for each of these websites in Needlesearch. Check it out at http://needlesearch.mozdev.org/. WELL worth installing for anyone doing any type of research or a lot of searching.

When I'm writing for DS, I have to be able to find a decent amount of information on the topic on one of those websites. If I can't I don't take the title.

If I happen to be looking for a non-health DS title (which is rare) I run a basic Google search and if I can't find the type of reliable information I'm looking for after checking out four or five pages, I don't take the title. I often use the "site:.gov, site:.org, or site:.edu" searches in Google to help me sort out what's reliable and what's not.

I'm willing to put more time into articles for rev share sites since I know I'll probably make more in the long run if I put the time into researching and keywording properly, but right now the bulk of my writing is for content mills (mainly DS and WG), and I simply can't afford to spend 20-30 minutes researching a title.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:09 AM
WAHM Regular

Terrific, helpful info! Thanks. My biggest problem right now is speed. Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to more...
Old 07-12-2009, 03:14 PM
WAHM Fanatic

City, state and federal government sites are a goldmine of information and the content is factually correct. Also informational sites run by non-profits. I try and gather my research from these reputable sources.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Super WAHM

Use the query "search term" (no quotes) site:.edu

This returns only .edu sites, which makes research a bit easier. I learned that and quite a few other research tips from Jenn Dize's Power Ghostwriting course - I can't say enough good things about it.

However, my top secret weapon is

http://gistweb.com/

I use this for quick articles all the time. I also have a program that I bought from someone on the Warrior Forum for 7 bucks - you plug in your keywords and it pulls the major information from like the first 10 pages of google results - very useful.

Edited by: slvsquared
Old 07-12-2009, 04:13 PM
WAHM Regular

Everybody raves about gistweb, but I can't figure out how to use it. Is there a web search option, or only the browser plugins? And yes, if you can take Jenn's course, do yourself a favor and do it!
Old 07-12-2009, 04:15 PM
WAHM Addict

Sometimes I look up the topic and Wikipedia and then look through the links at the bottom. That's a quick way to find a lot of different types of resources on a single subject. It's also useful because it can help you find something about a topic even if the resource itself doesn't use the same keywords.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Super WAHM

@ Jesse - If you click on summary, it pulls sources on your topic from all over and summarizes them
Old 07-12-2009, 05:09 PM
WAHM Addict

There's a plug-in for FireFox that will pull up Wikipedia articles whenever you do a Google search. I just added it so I can't say how "great" it is but I thought I'd let you know that it existed. Sorry, I don't have the URL for downloading it but if you go to the FireFox plug-in site I don't think it would be too hard to find.