Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Registered WAHM

I'm just starting out. I want to apply to Demand Studios, but I'm not sure what they're asking for in thier application page.

They want a resume -- will my usual day-job work resume be okay or are they looking for writing-related resumes? I've published fiction -- is that what they'd prefer to hear about?

They want a sample -- do they mean a published article, published on a site like eHow or AC? I don't have anything like that yet. Or do they want a sample of my writing in general (I was thinking of just writing one especially for the application.)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2009, 06:13 PM
WAHM Regular

Generally, writing websites want writing-related resumes. They want to hear about what you've published especially if it is web content.

For samples they want anything especially if it is web content. You may want to go to textbroker.com and pick up a few jobs, and then use what you wrote for them as samples for DS. But, maybe not because lately their titles have been less than stellar.

You could start a blog and use some of that writing for DS. Then you could also list your blog on your writing-related resume. You could also just go to Ehow or AC and publish an article, and then you might pick up some residual income, you would have writing to use for samples and you could put Ehow or AC on your writing-related resume.

If you go to Ehow and look at some of their non-how to titles, you will see the type of writing that DS will pay for.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:15 PM
WAHM Regular

Oh, you should also list your 9-5 career if it covers subjects or topics you might be writing about such as legal, finance, or medical background...
Old 07-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Awesome WAHM

Hi, you'll definitely want to submit a writing related resume to apply for DS.
I would recommend signing up for eHow or Associated Content or any other content site which lets you publish immediately. Then, write an article, publish it, and use it for your sample.

Ehow would be best because most of the articles you write for DS will be published here, and they might give you a bit of favor if they know you have experience with the site.

Also, any writing experience (including fiction) will look good on your resume, but I'd leave out anything that doesn't have to do with writing in some fashion.

Here's an example of the resume I used to get hired by DS. I hope it helps you out a little!

Creating a Writing Resume - Example and Tips

Old 07-03-2009, 09:25 AM
WAHM Regular

I didn't submit a writing-related resume nor a SEO, keyword heavy articleas a writing sample. Instead, I sent over mystandard resume and a writing sample related to what I know best: frugality.

DS in all honesty wants to guage your ability to write. You don't have to be published online or in printin order to get hired on.

In fact, my boyfriend went ahead and applied to DS as well for the occasional summer work and to perfect his writing. Hetoo submitted his regular 'ole resume and used a scholarship essay he'd written for his Capitol fellowship and he was hired on too.

Just thought I'd share that so you don't fall under the assumption that you NEED internet-related/style writing in order to get hired. Edited by: LadyInkSlinger
Old 07-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Registered WAHM

Thanks to all of you for your help.
The people on this forum are always so generous with their advice and experience! It's a pleasure to read the posts here.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:23 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyInkSlinger
I didn't submit a writing-related resume nor a SEO, keyword heavy articleas a writing sample. Instead, I sent over mystandard resume and a writing sample related to what I know best: frugality.

DS in all honesty wants to guage your ability to write. You don't have to be published online or in printin order to get hired on.

In fact, my boyfriend went ahead and applied to DS as well for the occasional summer work and to perfect his writing. Hetoo submitted his regular 'ole resume and used a scholarship essay he'd written for his Capitol fellowship and he was hired on too.

Just thought I'd share that so you don't fall under the assumption that you NEED internet-related/style writing in order to get hired.

I never submitted a writer resume as well because I did not have one made at the time. My sample was an article I wrote up in ten minutes about camping, I was accepted in one day.

Pam
Old 07-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Registered WAHM

Reworked my resume and decided to use the writing samples on my website.

And wouldn't you know...DS's application page isn't working! You can't scroll through the "Agreement" and reading it is required. So it won't let you submit your application.

Darn.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Super WAHM

I'm wondering if they are on a hiring freeze when it comes to writers. Not sure. But my mom has tried a couple times in the past few weeks to get hired with no luck. I've seen her resume, samples and links and they are really good. Better then the ones I got hired on with a few years ago. She gets the message saying that they don't need anyone with her experience at the moment. The thing is, she has experience in various areas, most of which are main topics available at DS. I don't get it...
Old 07-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Registered WAHM

I finally got the application page to work by switching to firefox.

I've also applied to Content Divas, and was accepted at Textbrokers.