Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:23 PM
WAHM Regular

Default I'm going to do it.... for real this time.

If you've read part of my intro (there's a lot I know) you'd know I like to write, a lot. I've started and deleted a few blogs in my past. I have the knowledge to set up blogs, monetize them and do some niche work but I've never fully committed to it.

Yesterday I applied to a couple sites where you write and get paid for it. I haven't heard back from them yet and I don't expect to for a few days. If I'm to be honest though, I kinda hope I don't. I know I can write some awesome content, some of which I could possibly want to put on my own blog site. Knowing I provided that content to someone else to use on their site would, well it would make me sad.

I've made a few blogs in the past on free sites. Primarily Blogger although I have two personal blogs set up into my Wix sites. I tried Wordpress yesterday and mentioned that somewhere in another thread. I can see how others would like it but for me it just wasn't working right. I don't know if it's because I was on a free level account or what but nothing was working, or saving for me.

So where are you going with this? Right, let us not ramble.
I write, or will be writing, about A LOT of different topics which means I will most likely have multiple blogs focusing on different niches. I've read about the Amazon Affiliate program and will be looking into it. I know about Adsense although I realize I won't be doing much with that for a bit. I read in the other post about the legal stuff, so I'll research that today too.

I'm looking forward to this. I've known how to do this for a while and it will be nice to finally apply the information and make something of it. I'm excited.

(Added note: The thread is more of a motivation, everyone talk and share thread. I placed it here because it's about blogging. If this is the wrong place for that, please feel free to move it.)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2018, 12:46 PM
WAHM Regular

So funny story.... I was on wordpress dot com, not wordpress dot org. Don't know if that's going to make a difference on my opinion on working on the site BUT we can all laugh for a minute. I sure did.

Go ahead, laugh with me. Everyone needs a good laugh
Old 01-08-2018, 01:35 PM
WAHM Regular

K... soooo...

This is confusing. I guess mostly because I'm used to Blogger and Wix where the webhosting is included in everything.

Wordpress dot com is the "free" version of Wordpress dot org?

Wordpress dot org suggests three different sites for web hosting, Bluehost and Siteground. I've seen a few posts on here about Bluehost but not much in the way on Siteground. Does anyone have experience with both of them that can give me some incite? Including information on their affiliate programs.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:38 AM
Awesome WAHM

I've never used either of them but you do have a lot of hosting choices.

In the past, I hosted a number of blogs with many different hosting services. At the moment I have WordPress sites hosted on Namecheap and Lifetime Hosting. Namecheap has reasonable prices and the support has been very good in my experience. Lifetime you pay one time for - no recurring fees - and they have good service too. The only drawback I've found with Lifetime is the data storage. It's about half what Namecheap is.

My point is that you have a lot of hosting choices out there so I'd advise shopping around. I've heard good things about Bluehost and Siteground. Hopefully, others with more familiarity can chime in with comparisons between them and some of the other well-known services.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:41 AM
WAHM Regular

I switched from Hostgator to SiteGround recently. If you have any questions about SiteGround, talk to the guy who runs the ProprietorsWeb group on Facebook. His name is Jeremy. Any questions you have about WordPress or Siteground, he should be able to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandambassett View Post
If you've read part of my intro (there's a lot I know) you'd know I like to write, a lot. I've started and deleted a few blogs in my past. I have the knowledge to set up blogs, monetize them and do some niche work but I've never fully committed to it.

Yesterday I applied to a couple sites where you write and get paid for it. I haven't heard back from them yet and I don't expect to for a few days. If I'm to be honest though, I kinda hope I don't. I know I can write some awesome content, some of which I could possibly want to put on my own blog site. Knowing I provided that content to someone else to use on their site would, well it would make me sad.

I've made a few blogs in the past on free sites. Primarily Blogger although I have two personal blogs set up into my Wix sites. I tried Wordpress yesterday and mentioned that somewhere in another thread. I can see how others would like it but for me it just wasn't working right. I don't know if it's because I was on a free level account or what but nothing was working, or saving for me.

So where are you going with this? Right, let us not ramble.
I write, or will be writing, about A LOT of different topics which means I will most likely have multiple blogs focusing on different niches. I've read about the Amazon Affiliate program and will be looking into it. I know about Adsense although I realize I won't be doing much with that for a bit. I read in the other post about the legal stuff, so I'll research that today too.

I'm looking forward to this. I've known how to do this for a while and it will be nice to finally apply the information and make something of it. I'm excited.

(Added note: The thread is more of a motivation, everyone talk and share thread. I placed it here because it's about blogging. If this is the wrong place for that, please feel free to move it.)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:12 PM
WAHM Regular

I'll have to look around. I just saw those two first because they advertised the one click download for wordpress and I'm not exactly smart enough to know how it do it the other way. I had most of my blogs set up on Blogger and I've been typing there just to keep the creative juices flowing knowing that at some point I will have to move them to the new site.

On an unrelated note.... Does anyone have a suggestion for a web browser that doesn't take this much space on my computer? I don't have that many add ons to Chrome that it should be doing this... really annoying.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:53 PM
Awesome WAHM

Don't build on the free wordpress site as you can lose them. Especially if you plan to do affiliate marketing or adsense. I had that happen some years ago.

It's better to get a hosting plan, like Siteground, Bluehost or Hostgator... and then upload wp to it. That way you can do anything you want with your blogs. There are some cool facebook pages or groups on most anything you want to do online, such as wordpress groups, hosting groups, etc.

Amazon doesn't pay as well as they used to for affiliate marketing, but there are other affiliate places available through places like Commission Junction and Avantlink that pay better.

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2018, 08:32 AM
Awesome WAHM

I recently read that Clickbank is listing physical products now. Haven't checked into that though.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:34 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSpirit View Post
I recently read that Clickbank is listing physical products now. Haven't checked into that though.
Yes they are. And some of those aren't bad either, especially if you are using a sales funnel.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:26 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Did you get up and running yet?

Hey Amandambassett, just wondering if you got your blog up and running yet? If you're still pondering, here are my two cents:

NO to WordPress.com It's free, easy to set-up but you may not truly own your content.

YES to WordPress.org It's free BUT you need to self-host it on a hosting company like Bluehost, Siteground, In Motion or one of the thousand other hosts out there. My first blog was difficult to set up because I did all the configuring by myself. My second blog was very easy to set up because I used InMotion and their once-click install. I even bought my domain name through the process. I think the annual cost is about $107.00. I selected InMotion because they have two data centers - one on the East coast , one on the West - and my thinking is the closer the data center to my physical location, the better uptime of my blog (though that's probably not true ). I did look into Blue Host and Site Ground. I nixed Blue Host because I didn't feel the service was suitable for my needs at the time. I almost selected Site Ground but In Motion won out due to the two data centers.

Anyway... did I read correctly that you have knowledge on monetizing your blog (sorry, can't seem to scroll up to review your original post)? Yes ? Great.

Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes.

Tags
blogging, goal, inspiration, motivation, support