Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:42 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Advice please?

I've been blogging for a while. I do use wordpress, free blog. I've been thinking about upgrading to the low business blog for now just to see if it's something that works. My blog does not make money right now. I guess I'm just trying to learn to navigate the idea of money making. I see people using PPP and adsense and stuff...but I don't know what I can use, since I'm using a free wordpress blog. What can I do to start the process of making money on my blog? Maybe my inexperience is throwing me off? What advice would you offer? I really don't want to lose the content and time into this blog.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2017, 07:35 AM
Awesome WAHM

Is your blog currently on blogger or WP dot org?

How are you monetizing that blog? If you don't have visitors to the blog site you have now you need to learn how to work on that. Upgrading won't make any difference if you can't attract readers.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:07 AM
WAHM Regular

Thank you for replying. I use wordpress dot com right now. I do have a personal domain. I originally started it just for fun, but now that i'm getting in the swing of things, I think it'd be fun to just earn money. I'm a telemarketer from home and now that we are going to be going in another direction (foster parenting) I really need something different. Right now I have wordads. I'm making nothing from wordads. I did apply for payu2blog, but I don't think they are accepting me, I haven't heard anything and it's been about a week. I know PPP is not allowed on wordpress dot com. I have three other blogs that are on blogger, but i'm just not active on them as much. I hope to get active, but I want to focus on one at a time so I don't get frustrated and neglect the one that's doing well. Eventually I hope to move it off wordpress, but I don't know anything about that right now. I'd like to just make a little bit so I can see it had potential. I get several people who reblog my stuff...so it's hard to tell I guess where I am in the journey. I average daily 20-35 visitors. My posts are between 1.17 (on bad days) and 3 posts per visitor average. I'm grateful for any advice and help anyone can offer. I should add I also post on facebook, but sadly I have NO followers. I also pin to pinterest. I recently signed up for reddit, but I don't know if it'll be of any help. Everything I post they message and say it's been removed. It is so annoying. Final note, it's a cooking blog if that helps.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:35 AM
Awesome WAHM

Seems to me you're ready to move away from blogger and WP dot com.

I use wordpress dot org for my blog related sites and for some of my product sites. The reason for that is WP self-hosted platform is simple to operate once you learn how - which isn't difficult. Self-hosting my website also gives me more control over it.

Since you're getting 20 - 35 visitors on your existing blog (cooking) and if the "personal domain" that you have is cooking related you can move your existing site over to a self-hosted site. Depending on the hosting service you select you can most likely get their help moving the files over.

If the "personal domain" that you have is not related to cooking you'll need to get another domain for use on the new site.

If you'd like to get my recommendations for hosting services send me a PM and I'll send them back.

If you have any specific questions you can post them here or send me a PM and I'll get some answers back to you.

As far as making a little bit of money now you should be able to do that by monetizing your current blog depending on the type of traffic you're getting. Are some of those 20 - 35 visitors a day returning visitors? Are they posting comments to your posts? If they're interested in your content then you just need to get some products in front of them I think.

If you'll PM me the URL for your blog I'll be happy to have a look at it to see if I can recommend some ways to monetize it.

As far as Reddit removing your posts you're most likely violating their TOS in some way. There again I'd have to get a look at the content in your posts to give you some advice.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:13 PM
Awesome WAHM

I highly recommend getting off a free platform and going with paid hosting and WordPress.org. You can move your posts over (or have this done for you) so you don't lose what you have published already.

Once you have moved your blog, I would start looking at Adsense as well as affiliate marketing. Recommend products and services that you use and that your readers would benefit from. Sign up for the Amazon Associates program so you can promote products from there.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:00 PM
WAHM Regular

Thanks guys so much...my blog is wishingwellslife.com (can I post that here?? If not i'll take it out)...but as far as visitors...I do notice the same one's coming in. I don't get a ton of comments though...I follow some on wp that have like 150+ likes and comments. I don't know how to get there though.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:07 AM
Awesome WAHM

Looks to me as if you're self-hosting this site. Doesn't look like it's on WordPress dot com.

Are those your original recipes? Other than those of Mamaw that is. My first thought toward monetization for your site is recipe books. If you're creating the recipes yourself you could put together some books with recipes that don't appear on your site. Each food area can be a separate book - collection of books. Examples: beef recipes, chicken recipes, desserts, books of salads, etc.

Next, you can become an affiliate (such as an Amazon Associate) and post cooking related products. Those can be kitchen utensils, barbeque tools, pots & pans, and other items in the cooking family. A couple years back I picked up a number of grilling brush sets (3 brushes to the set), sent them to the Amazon warehouse and listed them on Amazon. That was in the spring and those sets sold out within a month.

Once you start thinking about those options I'm sure you'll start dreaming up other marketing opportunities for your site.

I noticed that your site doesn't have any legal pages beyond the contact page. You'll need those as they're required by the FTC. Those consist of the About, Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service pages. You can model those pages after similar pages on other blog sites so that you comply.

Don't hesitate to keep your questions coming if you have more. I'll be glad to try and answer them for you.

Last edited by JoeSpirit; 08-08-2017 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Added information.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Awesome WAHM

You definitely want to get off the free WordPress, especially if you want to get more serious and make money with your blog.

Recipes can drive amazing traffic these days, but you could work on the images. You need to have a long image with text on it for Pinterest - which is where recipes tend to do best.

You should also have other social media accounts for your blog, including a Facebook page and Twitter account. You can drive traffic and get the views, comments, and likes you are after by sharing your posts on your social networks.

I'd also jump straight to signing up as an Amazon affiliate rather than trying to sell any of your own products right now. You want to build up a following for your own books. With Amazon, you can link to ingredients, cooking materials, etc that are needed for your recipe, then earn commissions when someone clicks through and makes a purchase.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:47 PM
WAHM Regular

Thank you guys. I haven't seen disclaimers and such...I am going to research that. Would I add it like a page??
I do use wp.com...but i'm wondering, do I have to delete my stuff to go to a new blog hosting site?
Finally, amazon affiliate....I signed up for it. I'm just unsure how to use these items. How can I use this to my advantage? Should I make posts about certain items? I think I can fit that in my blog as individual posts. I do have several reviews published and several pending publishings in regards to products for the kitchen.
As far as images. I use my cell phone for them. Funny part is I actually in real life photograph people (my specialty is babies and children)...but I just never thought about using those skills in the blog. I usually just snap a photo as I'm plating.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:00 AM
Awesome WAHM

In order to place Amazon Associate links in my blogs, I currently use Amazon's Associate Links Builder. It's a WordPress plugin provided by Amazon and you can search for it from your associate back office. Instructions for its use are also there.

The plugin works by inserting the link to a product into the position in your post where you want it. I normally highlight a product related keyword of phrase, paste it into the link builder search box, and it returns a selection of products in the keyword niche to choose from. I select the one I want, tell the plugin to use that one, and it turns the keyword into a link with your associate ID.

For my legal pages, I use one page in my main menu to list them under. For instance, on one site I created a page titled Administration Pages then created each of the required pages with that as the parent. On another site, I have the parent titled Legaleze. You can name it whatever you want as long as visitors can easily navigate to them. If you want to use my pages as an example PM me and I'll send the URL of one of my sites. You're welcome to model after them. Just re-word them for your own needs.

If you're currently hosting your site on WordPress dot com then you can move your site to a regular hosting service. There are many recommended services for this. I currently use Namecheap (very good support) and Lifetime Hosting (also good support but only about half the file storage limit as Namecheap). There's also Hostgator and I'm sure you can get a bunch of other suggestions.

All three of the ones I mentioned will be happy to help you migrate your existing files over to the new platform.

Since you're a professional photographer you should use your skills for your food exhibits. You'll find that the better quality the photo the more response you'll get from your visitors.