Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:27 AM
Registered WAHM

Default How Much to Invest

I had a blog previously and really enjoyed it, but I got so busy with freelance writing that I didn't have the time to really promote it so I made very little money. I would like to try again but I am a single mom now and my budget at this point (I'm just starting working from home as a freelance writer again) is extremely limited. Would it be wise to wait until I have money to invest in the blog before I attempt to launch it or would it be smarter to go ahead and start writing now and spend money as I can afford it? What initial investments do you think are most important for launching a successful blog?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2015, 04:39 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by writingmama1678 View Post
What initial investments do you think are most important for launching a successful blog?
Answer: Time! The only two things you need to launch a blog is a domain name and a hosting service. However, if money is really tight, you can start off with Blogger or WordPress.com, as both are free. As you can see, it doesn't take money to launch a blog, only time. You can promote your blog on your social media sites, and if your blog posts are interesting enough, people will read them. Once you start getting traffic, join some affiliate programs where you can make some money. Success will come over time, but only if you take the time to get started!

Last edited by Jeffrey Sloe; 10-12-2015 at 04:43 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:03 AM
Registered WAHM

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:00 PM
Super WAHM

Website builders are good to use too! You can start for free and then upgrade later on (This is what I plan on doing). You can check out my blog in my signature. I use a website builder. I agree with Jeffery. Get started!
Old 10-20-2015, 09:26 AM
Super WAHM

I want to ditto exactly what Jeffrey said. Time is the biggest part of what you'll need to launch your blog and grow it. There are very little expenses involved in setting up a blog, so you don't need to worry about sinking a whole lot of money into it once you've started. Later on, you'll want to probably add other tools that will make your blog run better/faster, but that can come later.

As for monetizing, look into affiliates or if you have a product or service to sell, definitely advertise that on your blog as well. Look into places like Fiverr to pick up gigs that will bring in money as you're waiting for your blog to grow. Keep us posted on your progress and let us know if you have anymore questions while you're getting things set up.

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2015, 03:51 AM
WAHM Regular

Have you thought what do you want to write about? Do you have a favorite niche? Make sure you connect your content with your affiliate program and products.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:38 PM
Banned

Starting a blog is cheap. All you need is a domain name and hosting; mine costs me about $10/month. You can buy a nice theme and make other improvements once you have more money.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:17 AM
Registered WAHM

Unless it's a personal blog/journal, one thing I would advise is sit down and build a schedule - build a list of at least 40-50 topics you can write about in your niche. Like others mentioned, time is definitely a factor, but make it a consistent effort. If you cannot allocate time regularly, dedicate a few days just for this blogging activity and schedule these posts over a 3-4 month period.

This way, when you have time later, you only need to keep promoting it. Over time, when you start seeing traffic, you will start building motivation to continue writing regularly.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarp View Post
Unless it's a personal blog/journal, one thing I would advise is sit down and build a schedule - build a list of at least 40-50 topics you can write about in your niche. Like others mentioned, time is definitely a factor, but make it a consistent effort. If you cannot allocate time regularly, dedicate a few days just for this blogging activity and schedule these posts over a 3-4 month period.

This way, when you have time later, you only need to keep promoting it. Over time, when you start seeing traffic, you will start building motivation to continue writing regularly.
A schedule is so important. I have an excel file that lists what I'm going to write about and when the post will be published. Without that, it's way too easy to just forget about the blog.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:53 AM
Awesome WAHM

Initial investments would be the costs of hosting + domain + a good theme. If you already have purchased these, then take the time out and add content and do your bit in spreading the word and towards getting traffic. Traffic = success really and so it's key to have a good amount of content as soon as you can put that out so the search engines discover your site/blog and send in visitors to them.

Once you have an adequate level of traffic going and once your site/blog has been around for a few months, you can apply to various affiliate partners for monetizing your content and generating income, thereby paying for your initial costs and eventually make your site/blog a profitable investment for you. Good luck!!