Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:23 AM
WAHM Regular

Default wanting to start blogging

I have wanted to start a blog for quite some time now. However, I have no idea what to blog about!! How did you all get started with this? FYI, I do plan to monetize the site eventually, just not right now.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2015, 09:08 PM
Awesome WAHM

Just think about a skill you're good at or a subject you're passionate about. Anything which you know well enough and can share with your readers. For example, if you're good at financial issues and have good knowledge of all things finance, you could start a blog on that niche. Similarly, if you're good at gardening and wish to share your tips on gardening, you could start a blog with gardening as the theme of your blog.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:58 PM
Grand WAHM

I agree with Lori. Write about your hobbies, interests, etc. It's easier to write about things you know. If it's something you enjoy, that helps keep you motivated.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:32 PM
Super WAHM

Talk about something you do everyday or think about everyday. That will make things easier for you to start your blog, as time goes by you'll have more topic on your blog before you knew it. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:56 PM
Registered WAHM

sunshine5637, as others have previously said, the best way to go is blogging about your passions, things you love to do, your life and experiences. If you can match that with value for blog readers than you have a winner for monetizing it later. Always think about what you can offer to your readers to have them come back for more.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:00 AM
WAHM Regular

I've started blogging primarily to be able to share some thoughts on parenting, being a mom, a working mom, stay at home mom and working from home mom (as I was and am from time to time all three), family issues, etc. Inspiration is in your day to day activities, thoughts, feelings, dreams, plans.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:59 AM
Registered WAHM

Ideally, as mentioned, you need to pick your favorite topic on earth as you'll be able to involve your readers by showing your enthusiasm.
A rational approach would be to do some research and try to find a unique niche which is not overcrowded and start learning everything you can about it.

The idea is that if your passion is relatively common you'll be able to address a huge audience, but at the same time you'll be facing fierce competition. Some topics are dominated by well-established bloggers who have been doing that for a long time, already have lots of connections (hence support and advertising) within the blogging community and have time and resources to advertise their channel.

That doesn't mean that it is impossible to compete in such an overcrowded space...it just means that it will take lots of time and dedication before attracting a decent amount of traffic and creating a large fan base.

You can scan all of your passions and do some research at the same time and then pick one topic which will allow you to talk about something you love but which also covers a niche area that doesn't suffer from hyper-competition.

Since I had to write on many different topics for clients, I noticed that the more I researched on a subject the more I became curious and started feeling passionate about it. If you're a particularly open and curious person, you can actually "fall in love" with new ideas and find your niche :-D
Old 09-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Super WAHM

Like the others are saying, pick a topic that interests you but also will provide value for others (your readers).

By value I mean information that is helpful, along with tips to help others solve a problem or achieve a goal.

One simple example is, if you have a goal to lose 30 pounds, create a blog writing about that and about your journey. People want to see the struggles and success.

Once you reach your goal, you will have documented your journey and also explained exactly how to did it.

That's just one simple idea...there are lots of possibilities.

Get creative.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:50 PM
Awesome WAHM

The beauty of blogging is that there is so much you can do with it.... affiliate marketing, sell your own products, adsense etc.

One tip I have - especially now with the holidays coming up. Use 'buyer keywords' in your long tailed keywords. I like to use jaxxy for keyword research and by narrowing your traffic down to a specific audience, your writing can definitely yield more moolah.

Example:
Instead of just targeting 'gifts for teachers' on a blog post ( by the way, 'GIFTS FOR' is a great keyword this time of the year!) ... if you use 'unique gifts for teachers 2015', it narrows your traffic down to a very specific READY TO BUY audience. AND it's easier to achieve better SEO ranks for these long tailed phrases.

Happy writing!
Old 11-12-2015, 05:12 AM
Registered WAHM

What websites, forums and communities do you frequent the most? What topics do you comment on? Pick that to start with. I got started that way.

Tags
fiftik, magazine