Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Banned

Default 1200 word blog posts?

I've been trying to figure out what to do with my old blog since Google keeps changing its mind about everything all the time. Now I'm told that I need to make all my blog posts 1000-1200 words to get Google's attention. Most of my posts now are 400-500 words, and I'm hearing that isn't cutting it anymore.

My blog isn't even up right now, because I don't really know what to do with it.

What do you think of this new longer post rule? Should I just leave my old posts as-is and start doing longer posts, or should I slowly try to expand on them too?

And what is with all the pictures in blog posts now? It seems there are more images than text, and honestly -- that turns me off. When I'm looking for information, I don't want to have to scroll past 10 images and search for the info.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2015, 09:28 AM
Super WAHM

You don't want to get stressed out over this. If you feel like you can say more in your old blog posts then expand if not. Just leave those and focus on making your new blog posts longer. I don't agree with all of the changes that Google has been making because I feel that they are making it harder for people. However, the reason I believe that they want people to write longer blog posts is because some people just write spam posts. Which are usually short and don't have anything to say that is very helpful. With that being said, every blog post that you write might not be long and that's okay.It's more important to focus on meaningfulness of the content.

Here is a tool that will help you monitor your word count: Windows and Linux howtos: WordCounter.

I believe that one or two images is enough for a blog post. That's usually the amount of images that I add to my blog posts. I believe simplicity is best.

Good luck!
Old 05-16-2015, 04:27 AM
WAHM Regular

A blog post made at any length is fine.

I wouldn't worry so much about what google wants, more what the readers who visit your site want. I've had success with "mini posts" on a blog - prior to twitter's popularity. That blog still gets decent traffic, if anything it has increased over time.

Good luck.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Super WAHM

Seriously, don't stress. I don't worry about word count unless a client specifically says that want so many words. For my personal blog and my business website, my posts might be 200 words...they might be 1200 words. I'm aiming for quality and I've yet to be penalized for that.

I think part of the up in the number of words (because I have some clients who do want 1000 words or more) is because it's really hard to write a spammy post of that length unless you are keyword stuffing...and keyword stuffing will get you beaten up by the Google machine. You have to make an effort to write with quality at that point.

Eventually, you get used to writing longer posts (at least for clients).