Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:55 AM
Awesome WAHM

Default questions to get started

how to get started with blogging? Difference between blogging and freelance?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2015, 11:27 AM
Super WAHM

The difference between blogging and freelancing is with blogging you are writing for yourself and your site. With freelancing you are being paid to write for someone else because you are accepting jobs from other companies or people.

If you would like to know more about blogging you can read other blogs especially internet marketing blogs. Join blogging communities. I write about blogging and internet marketing on my blog. You can check it out in my signature it says Money To Be Made.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Grand WAHM

There are many free places to create blogs too, or you can invest in your own site and domain. There are also many ways to monetize a blog or a website.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:38 PM
WAHM Regular

Default I like Wordpress

I'm a little prejudice because I have used it for years, but I like Wordpress, but I would host it on my own domain. So you are looking at $10 for a domain name a year and around $6-$8 a month for the hosting. There are free themes you setup to go with whatever topic you will be blogging about.

It just depends on what you want to accomplish with your blogging?
Old 02-15-2015, 06:27 AM
Awesome WAHM

Blogging can be done by you using your own website with a domain you choose and have it hosted with a web hosting service. You can monetize your blog through various affiliate programs like AdSense, Amazon Affiliate, Commission Junction, etc, once you have it up and running. You can also blog using writing platforms like HubPages, in which case you are depending on them for doing the tech and back-end work and just writing.

Freelance is when you work for independent clients, who may want you to write for their own blogs or websites and pay you for the service.

If you want to build an online presence and brand yourself, having your own domain and using a service such as Word Press and hosting it on a web hosting service is the way to start. You can get a domain for around $10 a year and you can host it on a hosting service for as low as $3.49 a month..

If you aren't looking at blogging as a way to build up your web presence in the long term, then you can use one of the various writing platforms to blog on, but do be aware that some sites may claim ownership or retain the rights to modify your blog posts to conform to their changing standards. Of course, when you own your own blog/site, you retain full control of what you want to put out and how you want to put it out.

What you go for eventually is really up to what your goals are really!
Old 02-16-2015, 06:27 AM
WAHM Regular

Default How to get started with blogging

Quote:
Originally Posted by janny108 View Post
how to get started with blogging?
Hi,

What are you passionate about? What are your interests or hobbies? If money was not an issue, what would you love to do? The answer to that question will, most likely, give you something to blog about. I'm sure there are many people that share the same interest(s), and would love to read your point of view. Before you go through all the technical aspects of buying a domain name, hosting a site and setting up a blog, start writing. Anyone can do that, and that's the best way to start. As you are writing, the domain name may come to you.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:19 PM
Registered WAHM

Default janny108 - How to get started with blogging?

Difference between blogging and freelance?

You can get paid for both.

Companies hire freelance bloggers to get their messages out and to post fresh content on their website or social media accounts.

Freelance writers are usually in business for themselves and contract their services to a company.

How to get started with blogging?

What do you enjoy writing about?

For example, if you like gardening, cooking, etc. you might consider approaching a small newspaper and writing articles for them.

Publications like a weekly Reminder looks for new and interesting content to fill their pages.

Hubpages is a good place to start online, as you can write about any number of topics and develop a following.

Look at other people's blogs on topics that you enjoy and start following them.

Join a blogging group and interact with other bloggers on what they're doing, how they got started, etc.

Hope this helps you!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:06 PM
WAHM Regular

Plenty of people start out freelancing and then move on to blogging on their own site. With freelancing you can get paid to learn pretty much - and I have done this before.

Having skills in the online space can open many doors as well. So if you lack the skills you can freelance a single skill - learn the skill well - then move on to add another arrow to your bow.

But in this example your "freelancing" might mean paid writing for others' blogs no?

Blogging can be an umbrella term for a variety of online activities under "publishing written content to your own site", which is the activity you want to be doing if you are going to want to make a career from the online space.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:13 AM
Author & Entrepreneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMaa View Post
The difference between blogging and freelancing is with blogging you are writing for yourself and your site. With freelancing you are being paid to write for someone else because you are accepting jobs from other companies or people.

If you would like to know more about blogging you can read other blogs especially internet marketing blogs. Join blogging communities. I write about blogging and internet marketing on my blog. You can check it out in my signature it says Money To Be Made.
Good response
Old 03-05-2015, 05:48 PM
WAHM Regular

Smile Getting Started

Hi,

I got started writing for Yahoo voices. They had a wonderful program in which they posted gigs a couple times per day, and the first one to claim them had 3 days to submit the work. If it was accepted, Yahoo would send you the fee for the article plus monthly royalties based on total traffic. Most of the articles were about $8 which was a reasonable amount of pay since I also learned from the experience and was able to direct the traffic to our site(- Casting Master) I used the past tense for this because unfortunately, Yahoo discontinued the program in late 2014.

Blogging on the other hand is a more long-term play. You get no immediate compensation for your writing when you begin and you earn through advertising. The advantage of blogging is that you own the content, and it just sits on your site attracting traffic for months and years to come. At first, this will be pennies a day making it incredible discouraging.

I would recommend starting off with a mix of the two. Getting a blog or any other site indexed in google can take months, so the sooner you launch, the sooner you can earn. But don't count on this generating any money for about six months time. During that time, try to write a couple articles for other sites that are willing to pay you and provide feedback on the your writing.

Good luck,

-Leo.