Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:24 AM
Grand WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome.pet.blogger View Post
I use Blogger and I really don't know where this misconception is coming from.
It's not a misconception. Blogger has deleted a massive amount of make money type blogs except for those that have just AdSense on them. Please make sure to back up the html for your blog.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2014, 01:09 PM
Super WAHM

You can use a website builder. I use Ucoz. I really like it. You can have a website or a blog or you can just have the blog. It is free but you can upgrade. That's what I like about it you can start free and upgrade later. The upgrade gives you more features to use. Also, it gives you so much freedom. It's for people who are not html savvy and for people who are. You get the best of both worlds. Plus, if you need any kind of assistance they help you in a timely fashion. You can post in there forum and someone always gets back with you.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athomewithjen View Post
I also vote to use a self-hosted Wordpress site. Wordpress is a great platform and there are many options to customize it for you. It's also better for SEO. You can install Wordpress via a GoDaddy hosting account. Just contact me if you get lost, I'm a web designer
I agree with you, Jen. I LOVE Wordpress!
Old 08-10-2014, 08:27 PM
WAHM Regular

I have no idea how to do wordpress!
Old 08-18-2014, 03:28 AM
WAHM Regular

I also recommend owning your own blog and not having a free one.

Mine has the domain registered with 123reg (its a local domain provider as I have a co.uk) and knownhost for my VPS hosting because my site is now too big and has decent traffic so shared hosting is no longer an option.

When I am recommending start ups for my coaching clients I would recommend buying a domain from namecheap and getting hosting from bluehost. Godaddy is a nightmare to learn in comparison (if you are new) and hostgator was bought out and the servers are constantly crashing and nothing looks worse than your site constantly going down!

Hope it goes well for you and best of luck.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:12 PM
Awesome WAHM

I am not sure Blogger removes non-Adsense affiliate ads and deletes such blogs. I've had a blog since 2007 on Blogger and I've used Amazon ads on there along with Adsense without problems. I guess those blogs deleted may have had copyright issues and may have had DMCA filed against it - that's the only reason I can fathom for them being deleted.

Going self-hosted with wordpress is the best option if you want peace of mind and not have to transfer your existing blog at a later date. Blogs hosted on Blogger can, in the future, not be supported by Google and may need to be transferred elsewhere. That would cost you in terms of SEO, so going the self-hosted way on Wordpress is best.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:36 AM
Banned

I have 97 blogs. They represent 5 years of hard work and investment. I would never dream of setting up a blog on a platform I did not own. Nowadays hosting and domains are ridiculously cheap. You can purchase a domain for a few bucks a year, hosting for a few bucks a month, and no one can take your hard work and investment away from you. And don't for a second think it can't happen. Free platforms - whether it's Wordpress, Blogger, Hubpages, Squidoo, Tumblr, or any of the others - either do not like monetization or frown on certain niches or subject-matters. At the click of a delete button, the blog you've been writing for 10 years can go POOF.

My suggestion? Buy a domain. Buy virtual hosting. And blog away.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:41 PM
WAHM Regular

Both Wordpress and Blogger are great. They are also recommended for anyone who is just starting out on web design. I've been using them and I'm always satisfied with the results.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:43 AM
WAHM Regular

All of them. Free as well as on your hosted site. You don't want people to confuse your branded name with other people. You want to be able to "own" your name on every email and blog and everywhere you can think of online. If I have gloryquilts,com and am GloryQuilts on blogger, I don't want someone else being GloryQuilts on wordpress or having the [email protected],com address. I have never used my"blog" on weebly or tumblr and I am hopeless at twitter, but I own them and no one else can take my identity. I might use them someday, but for now I'm just protecting my name.

You will need to make sure you have an original name. When I picked a name to use for writing, I searched until I found a combination of my own name and my mother's maiden name that was not being used elsewhere. I especially looked at Amazon, because I don't want to be confused with other writers. I bought the domain name catheswanson.com, got it hosted with my regular server and then used the email [email protected],com to register it with all the blogs and email options etc.

Last edited by GloryQuilts; 08-31-2014 at 09:44 AM.