Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Awesome WAHM

If you're serious about blogging, especially for income, it's important to use a self-hosted system such as wordpress. Don't worry it's not hard at all, in fact many hosting companies will even load Wordpress for you on your domain so that you can be up and running fast.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2013, 03:29 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSAldridge View Post
Blogger itself offers no additional paid add-ons. If I'm wrong, please tell me what they are
They offer a (very expensive!) domain-name registration service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSAldridge View Post
What I was talking about was not hosting, it was using your domain name. You can use your own personal domain name on Blogger for free, but Wordpress charges you to use a personal domain name. For example, if I had dsaldridge.com, I could use that on Blogger for free, but Wordpress.com would charge me to use anything other than dsaldridge.wordpress.com.
I know. I agree with all of this, of course, but it doesn't actually detract in any way from the validity and relevance of my comments above. I was simply correcting a large amount of mistaken information in Rikki's post above mine.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Online Success Coach

I personally prefer Blogger if you are creating a blog that you don't want to put money into initially. Wordpress charges you for a lot of extra things.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Registered WAHM

Default I love wordpress

I use wordpress for my blog and it is better than blogger in my opinion. I have used blogger in the past but I think wordpress is slightly more professional looking and you don't have to spend money if you don't want to for a good theme.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by araveaux View Post
I use wordpress for my blog and it is better than blogger in my opinion. I have used blogger in the past but I think wordpress is slightly more professional looking and you don't have to spend money if you don't want to for a good theme.
There are thousands of free Blogger themes out there, some modeled after Wordpress themes. Just check out btemplates.com and click on Adapted From Wordpress on the sidebar. Check out this post if you want to see some really professionally laid out Blogger sites.

Blogger Buster: The Blogspot 100 - Top Blogger Sites of 2012
Old 10-14-2013, 01:54 PM
WAHM Regular

Smile Always a huge fan of self-hosted WP blogs

I can't see any downside to hosting your own on your own domain name.

There sure are a lot of benefits:
  • Complete control of the site
  • Easier to monetize with affiliate products
  • More credible if you're writing an educational blog
  • You own the Monopoly space - haha - (I get to be the shoe!)
  • If you ever hope to sell the site, that's a possibility
  • You gain valuable experience learning to work with WordPress (many clients will pay you to build simple sites and fill them with great content)

But I can't really think of any benefits to going with free WP or blogspot - except not having to buy your domain or a hosting plan.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Banned

Wordpress all the way. I have used both, and while Blogger is good when you're brand new to blogging, it is very limited. I use self-hosted and free versions of Wordpress (I have 5 blogs right now) and love it. While it does have a learning curve, once you get a hang of it, it is just so much better.

Of the dozens of blogs I have had over the years, Blogger is the only host that actually deleted something they thought was spammy. With no warning. And I put A LOT of work into it.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:41 AM
WAHM Regular

You can do both I do polyvore and it allows me to post to blogger, and tumblr at the same time.
I am going to add a word press blog to it to. You can also repost to pinterest.
Polvore is like pinterest but for products.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:20 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valcreates View Post
You can do both I do polyvore and it allows me to post to blogger, and tumblr at the same time.
I am going to add a word press blog to it to. You can also repost to pinterest.
Polvore is like pinterest but for products.
Be careful about posting too much duplicate content. Google has been known to sandbox people for that.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Super WAHM

I guess my problem is that people are implying that you aren't a serious blogger if you don't use Wordpress and have your own domain and hosting. Maybe you're just a serious blogger who is broke, or trying something out for a year to see if it works before you commit. It makes me angry to see fellow bloggers calling those who don't do it their way "unprofessional" and accusing them of not being serious. It's not professional to do that either! I have tried to live by the rule that I give people the best information I can without being judgmental and let them make their own choices. For us to be putting each other down isn't constructive, and it makes me wonder what kind of business some of these people who put others down actually run. Sort of a "my way or the highway," business plan, I would think from what I read. Black and white -- "I'm right, you're wrong, and that makes you stupid." I certainly wouldn't want to work for someone like that, would you?

Tags
blogger, blogspot, wordpress