Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:48 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Stock photos

Where do you go for stock photos? Do they all cost something? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2013, 08:00 PM
WAHM Regular

I've used stock.xchng - the leading free stock photography site for years -- each photo has its use requirements (if any) clearly set out.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:36 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepho View Post
I've used stock.xchng - the leading free stock photography site for years -- each photo has its use requirements (if any) clearly set out.
I use this place too and there are plenty of other similar sites. I suppose it depends on your niche as to where you would go for your images.

Sometimes when I need a really good one I will pay for one on istockphotos.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Registered WAHM

I too have been using stock.xchng for my website. It is a great site but does not always have the kind of pictures I need for my posts. I have found it challenging to find good clip art to use on my site because I do worry about copyright laws. My solution to this is to work with a local freelance photographer. It is a great way to get original pictures taken just for your blog or website and many photographers are happy to do this for no charge as long as you give them credit for their work!
-An Ideal Mom
Old 08-08-2013, 07:19 AM
Super WAHM

I like to take my own photos for my blog posts. I generally post about lifestyle topics, so using my own pics for product reviews, etc. is easier for me.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:39 AM
WAHM Regular

Free Photos - Free Images - Free Stock Photos - FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Excellent site, huge selection!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:51 PM
WAHM Regular

I second Freedigitalphotos.net. Another great source is Flickr. Users will often have a Creative Commons license which allows you to use their image, as long as a credit is given.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Awesome WAHM

Great info - we've used istockphotos and fotolia before. Have to look at these others..
Old 08-10-2013, 04:50 AM
Super WAHM

MorgueFile.com is another great one. So is Pixabay.com.

As a photographer I please ask to use caution when using a lot of these sites. A lot of them are feeder sites to actual paid sites and you might think you are using a creative common item that requires no attribution or only requires you mention their name with use when actually you are also required to pay for use. I have seen quite a few blog owners writing about being sued for this problem. So, I would plug the photo into Google Image search or Tiny Eye (tinyeye.com) to make sure the photo is indeed fair use and free.

Sometimes it's just best to pay the nominal credit fee to use the photo you really want. Not only do you get a beautiful photo, you are helping out a fellow artist.

Last edited by IrishChik; 08-10-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 PM
WAHM Regular

IrishChik and others, what do you think about sites like weheartit.com and here's another one I just found: lovethispic.com
They have amazing images, but I'm afraid to use them because it's not where the image originated. Here's what lovethispic posts on its site (is it too good to be true?)
Bubbles Pictures, Photos, and Images for Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, and Twitter

"LoveThisPic is a place for people to come and share inspiring pictures, quotes, DIYs, and many other types of photos. The user 'Dreamer' has submitted the Bubbles picture/image you're currently viewing. You're free to reshare the Bubbles photo on any of your favorite social networking sites, such as Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr, Twitter, or even your personal website or blog. If you like the picture of Bubbles, and other photos & images on this website, please create an account and 'love' it. This will save the Bubbles to your account for easy access to it in the future. We hope you enjoy this Bubbles Pinterest/Facebook/Tumblr image and we hope you share it with your friends.
Incoming search terms: Pictures of Bubbles, Bubbles Pinterest Pictures, Bubbles Facebook Images, Bubbles Photos for Tumblr."

I certainly always give a credit link back, but linking back to these sites in not the same as linking back to the photographer. Anyone have experience with these type of sites?