Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:26 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Switching from free Wordpress blog

I have a blog that's about a year old. I wanted to start placing ads but I can't as it's a free Wordpress blog.

I own the domain name already. I want to keep the name and I guess reuse the blogposts I have already posted. Is that what people do in my position? And is my only option to transfer it to a Wordpress.org blog?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2013, 07:09 AM
WAHM Regular

Hey there! You have it pretty much right, the only way to get paid ads on your blog is to transfer it to a self hosted wordpress.org site. If you want help, just pm me and I can walk you through the process, it can be a little daunting if you haven't done it before.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:14 AM
WAHM Regular

Let me correct myself, transferring to wordpress.org is not your ONLY option, but going to a self hosted platform is. Either way, you will have to host your own site to post paid ads, but you can do that without using wordpress as the way you build your site.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:34 AM
WAHM Regular

I saw something when I was looking into this about Wordpress doing it for me, just switching my whole blog over for like $160.... Does that sound about right? Or Too much, uneccesarry? Thanks!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:06 AM
WAHM Regular

Whoa way too much! I saw your post about the cost of blogging and I was going to respond to it there, but I'll do it here instead. The overhead cost of running a blog or business from home is super low. You'll pay to host your site, and then probably pay for an email marketing service.

The email marketing service is something like aweber or constant contact, they don't do the marketing, it's just a service that lets you send out emails to your list of followers. There's a good thread about it in the business section of the forums.

Hosting your site is pretty up in the air, I paid for a year of fatcow and it was like $30 bucks. Others you have to pay by month... it just depends, shop around a little. But a good hosting provider should have a one click wordpress install for your site.

You can get more technical and really go into messing with the code of the website once you've hosted it, but you can also just keep doing what you're doing and use the theme's settings to control how it looks. And it should be easy to transfer your site from wordpress.com to a self hosted site.

Since you own your domain name, when you go to host your site, you'll use that domain when you register.

Last edited by starbirdy66; 03-03-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Removed advertising
Old 03-03-2013, 09:11 AM
WAHM Regular

Moving a Blog — Support — WordPress.com

This is a tutorial on how to do it, you download a program that saves your blog information and then upload it to the new wordpress site. It works when going from wordpress.com to wordpress.org, or the other way around!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:17 AM
WAHM Regular

Ok, thanks a TON!!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:24 AM
WAHM Regular

Oops, $130, not $160. This where I saw that, just remembered it wrong Guided Transfer — Support — WordPress.com
Old 03-03-2013, 09:36 AM
WAHM Regular

Not a problem! I love tech stuff!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:30 AM
WAHM Regular

$130 JUST to transfer it? That doesn't include any hosting or anything. That's a ripoff. Many hosts will typically transfer it for you. You could also just do it yourself if you think you can handle it. We wrote up a blog post showing how you can transfer it, its not too hard of a process: https://www.reliabox.com/blog/shared...press-org.html

If you need any help I can certainly assist.

Tags
wordpress