Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Awesome WAHM

Default .com, .info, .net, .org and domain name - help

As a reader, which would you prefer seeing in the domain?

The site address that I want to use (.com) is higher than the other three (.info, .net, and .org). I want my site to be user friendly and easily found.

My other question ...

My Blogger domain is "abcreadwithme", but the actual blog title is "ABC, Will You Read with Me" -- thus, missing two words.

So, should I use "abcreadwithme" or "abcwillyoureadwithme" in the domain?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Writely Applied

It seems .com is the most used. You want one easy to remember or key in. Most smart devices have a .com button to add those four digits after typing the URL.

I'd go with abcreadwithme.com because the other one is too long.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:20 PM
WAHM Regular

Or you also have the option of going with ABCReadWith.Me (.me is your extension instead of .com, etc.)
Old 01-03-2013, 06:57 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I usually say with the .com if you can. It is more recognizable and if you want people to type in the url into the browser you will want something that they can remember.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Awesome WAHM

Whenever I buy domains, I always check .com first. It's the most popular.

If I couldn't get a .com, my second choice would probably be .net.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:59 AM
Registered WAHM

Hi,

I'll go with BloggingToolsforMe's suggestion i.e. ABCReadWith.Me

It's more brand-able domain name as opposed to .com. However, remember that .me is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Montenegro.

Cheers,
Mama R.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:41 AM
WAHM Regular

A .com extension is usually your best choice (if it's available), but part of your decision can be based upon where your target audience is located. This article gives a bit more information on some of the options open to you. A growing number of businesses are opting for branding opportunities like making an .ly extension part of their domain/company branding (bit.ly, ow.ly, lover.ly, page.ly, etc). There are plenty of options available to you. Consider how your visitors find you, what they might type into their address bar and whether one extension is more trustworthy than another. There are potential pitfalls when choosing an alternate extension though, as the US government found out.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 AM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloggingToolsforMe View Post
A .com extension is usually your best choice (if it's available), but part of your decision can be based upon where your target audience is located. This article gives a bit more information on some of the options open to you. A growing number of businesses are opting for branding opportunities like making an .ly extension part of their domain/company branding (bit.ly, ow.ly, lover.ly, page.ly, etc). There are plenty of options available to you. Consider how your visitors find you, what they might type into their address bar and whether one extension is more trustworthy than another. There are potential pitfalls when choosing an alternate extension though, as the US government found out.
Hi BloggingToolsforMe,

Thanks for the links. The second one was an interesting read. Never imagined the repercussions of some of the extensions out there.

Cheers,

Mama R.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 AM
Miss

Your top priority should ALWAYS be .com because that is what most people look at in a site. It has more effect or authority since most sites are in .com format. Then consider .net, .org, or whatever domain extensions are available.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 PM
WAHM Fanatic

.com is perceived to be the most desirable. This means if you sell it, you will likely get a higher price than if you use a different extension.

Also it is the extension people think of most often..so this makes it very good for branding.

Last edited by LilBlackDress; 01-08-2013 at 02:21 PM.