Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Awesome WAHM

Default .info, .net, .org, or .com?

.info, .net, .org, .com -- which do you prefer?

The domain I want (.com) is priced more than I originally thought. If I select .info, .net, and .org, those are cheaper.

Any recommendations on where to purchase a domain or site hosting?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Awesome WAHM

Do you use the free version of WP?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Awesome WAHM

If you want to monetize your blog on WP, you have to use the paid version, or WP.org. You can't monetize WP.com blogs.

I suggest going with a .com name if you can, even though it may be pricier. Most people are more familiar and comfortable with .com. Second to that, I'd go with .net.

I've bought domain names from GoDaddy for years but there are plenty of places to purchase them. I've also bought hosting through Blue Host, which has good customer service. Those are the two I'm most familiar with. You can usually do a search for coupons/discount codes for a lot of hosting sites, too, to save some money.

Now, back to Blogger. They have a limit on how many pages you can create so if you do create pages for each age group, just watch how many you create. If that Blogger template is one of the Blogger ones, then yes, you'll lose it if you move to WP. You can buy your domain name at any time, apply it to Blogger and then move everything over to WP. It would just be a matter of transferring. It's really not difficult.

I've heard of some bloggers creating a "fan page" for their blogs on FB so yes, that can be done, too.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 AM
Awesome WAHM

Where is the pricing list on WP.org? I need to monetize, so the free WP blog will not work for me.

Will BlueHost work for those that use Blogger?

There is so much I intend on doing with my blog in the future. I truly like the idea of categorizing book reviews based on ages.

I want to go in conservatively; however, I need somewhere that will allow me to grow. I would hate to stay on Blogger to then have to transfer everything over later, although if the process is easy, it will not be that big of a deal. I am encountering the page tab issue right now though. I need more room.

If I know I can make a go of this and earn a decent income, I do not mind going with WP.

I was pleasantly surprised to see $1 in my Amazon account the other day! Someone purchased a book through my link! And I have a few dollars in my AdSense account as well.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Awesome WAHM

There's no pricing list for WP; what you pay is determined by the host site you choose. Usually, if you purchase a one-year deal, your monthly payments could be around $5 or less; if you choose to go month-to-month, it'll be slightly higher. It's almost always worth the investment, and depending on where you live, you can write off a lot of the fees connected to your website/blog (domain name, hosting, etc.) for tax purposes.

If you're serious, I suggest just starting with WP now instead of later. That way, readers can subscribe to your feed and you're building up a subscriber base -- if you move later, especially once you have a decent readership, your RSS feeds change and some readers won't take the trouble to update to your new address. So it'll be almost like starting over.

Blogger is its own host site so you wouldn't need to purchase separate hosting. The drawback is that they can also shut your site down at any time since you don't really "own" it. If you have your own hosted site at WP, you control and own all of it.

It's definitely possible to make a decent income with your blog but it may be a while before you see a return on your investment. So you need to ask yourself if you're willing to shell out the approx. $10-15 per month or so, and invest the time until you really see an increase in your earnings. This can take several months or more, but if it's something you're passionate about, I feel it's worth pursuing.

Last edited by Del S; 01-03-2013 at 10:15 AM. Reason: clarification