Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:44 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Blog?

sorry, im new to the wah thing. i have been reading about blogging. so how does it work exactly? say i want mine to be about dealing with multiple sclerosis? how do people find my blog? how dose it work? and if you get traffic is that when you get advertisers? many questions...sorry. don
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2012, 10:52 PM
Super WAHM

Default We all started too. :)

Blogging definitely has a little learning curve, but it's pretty easy to get the hang of quickly. This is going to be a little long, but don't get overwhelmed. It's easy and just take it one step at a time.

Step 1: Get a domain name

If you want a blog about dealing with MS, then you first need to get a domain name. I suggest you head over to bustaname.com to play with available domain name options. You can add words that you want inside the domain, it's easy and you'll find ideas too.

To help your website rank it's best to have keywords inside the domain name itself. Ideally you would want ms.com or multiplesclerosis.com, but those are probably taken. You can do some keyword research with the Google Keyword Tool (If the link doesn't work, just Google it and it should be the first link.)

To help you come up with ideas for your domain and keywords you can use Google Suggest. This is when you start typing in the Google search box and it starts suggesting things for you. For example, when I type in multiple sclerosis it shows me multiple sclerosis symptoms and multiple sclerosis treatments. This can help you discover new ideas for your domain name as well.

Step 2: Get hosting

I recommend HostGator. Please avoid DreamHost (they are one of the worse and many people have problems). If you want to use BlueHost, they are another, but best for only single domain websites. They shut me down without warning because I had two large sites on one account. (My company is currently helping people set up a full WordPress setup on a new hosting account for FREE with a Premium theme, so if you want to know more please PM me.)

Step 3: Setup your website

I recommend using WordPress. They are easy to use and there is a TON of tutorials out there on the Web to help you with anything you could possible want to know. Drupal is amazing, but complex (so I don't recommend that for you).

If you chose HostGator, they have a 1 click WordPress install. You can have support walk you through the process or Google it. It's easy to do.

Step 4: Start blogging and get traffic

Write original content consistently and regularly. If you choose to write only once a week, stick with it. Same if you choose to write 3x/week or everyday. You will train the search engines to when you post new content and they will come back more often. Just keep it regular for the best results.

You asked how people find your blog. This is basically it. You need to have good content that is relevant to what they are searching for in the search engines. If you write an article about "Home Birth" and they search "home birth" you are relevant.

The other thing that helps build up your site in the search engines is back links. This is usually why you see people guest posting on other sites. The more people linking to you tells the search engines that you have good content and you should be shown more often. I hope this makes sense.

I want to tell you some ideas for optimizing, but I think it will be too overwhelming right now. Let me know if you want some more info about this and I'll be happy to help (best if in the post so others can benefit as well).

*Tip: Right now Pinterest is the hottest marketing tool for getting traffic to your blog. You just pin your own pictures from your website. Just don't spam it, it's best to follow this idea: pin your own image, repin 1 image and add 2 new pins. Then repeat (it's just the percentage idea).

Step 5: Monetize

If you choose to get paid advertisers, there are many ways. Yes, you will most likely not be able to sell ads without having visitors. I recommend you install the plugin CrankyAds.com - Ad Management. Made Easy.CrankyAds. It's a free plugin for WordPress that will help you set up your system to sell ads. It even creates an Advertise Here page for you with your options available (listing your page views for potential advertisers). They have tutorials when you get to this step.

I like Cranky Ads because it's free, it shows your analytics (page views for each ad location) to buyers, and they have a marketplace. If someone is shopping for a site about MS to post an ad on and you are found in the marketplace (it's free and automatic I believe when you use the free version) then Cranky Ads will take a small percent.

-----

I hope this wasn't too overwhelming. Remember to take it one step at a time. If you want me to set up the blog for you, with theme, I can (just PM me). There would be no charge.

Good luck. It's fun and addicting to blog.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:42 AM
WAHM Regular

wow, this all sounds pretty cool. do you know anything about blogger?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:56 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentvalve View Post
wow, this all sounds pretty cool. do you know anything about blogger?
Many or most here will tell you to steer clear of blogger and quote horror stories but I've been on Blogger since 2005 and have had no problems. At one time I had around 8-10 blogs but have since combined a few and only have 1 that I update regularly. I do have my own domain which helps a lot with doing product reviews, sponsored posts and advertisers.

I'd say look at all the options such as blogger, Wordpress.com, Wordpress.org and Weebly to name a few. Decide what you want and which will help you better.

Blogger - you host for free. you can have your own domain that you pay around $11-$12 a year or a free domain from them but it will have the .blogspot.com at the end of it. you can customize your layout and have ads though if you have a lot of PPC or spammy ads Blogger will shut you down. Read their terms cafefully.

Wordpress.com - a free version of Wordpress not to be confused with Wordpress.org. You can't customize your layout too much and you're limited to the layouts they offer. You can use your own domain and pay per year or get a free domain which will end with .wordpress.com. You CANNOT have any advertising or monetize in any way.

Wordpress.org - The self hosted version of Wordpress. With this you need to find hosting and pay monthly or annually. You also need your own domain You have full control and can customize your layout any way you want. It's more customizable than Blogger. You can do ads any way you want with no one telling you that you can't.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:06 PM
WAHM Regular

wow, i did not know there were that many options. i have started with blogger and i already have adsense. speaking of i thought you had to have a blog for several months before they approved it? i had three posts and was approved. its called living with ms. its kinda my story from beginning and will cover different aspects after i tell the beginning of the story of how i was diagnosed. i have never done it, but always wanted to. not the best writer but, anyone who reads it will know that. they will get my crazy quirky things..hopefully.. anyway adsense has already got adds about ms stuff which i thought was cool. don
Old 04-03-2012, 12:40 PM
WAHM Fanatic

If you don't have your own domain I highly recommend that. In the future you may decide to switch to Wordpress.org and having your own domain will be a plus since you can't host a .blogspot.com domain anyplace but blogger. If you have good traffic, are attracting advertisers and Google PR and you change the domain then you're pretty much starting over even though you can transfer your posts over. The subscribers and everything you've attained doesn't follow where if you have your own domain then everything will come along to the new host.

Google owns both Blogger and Adsense so they make it easy to get adsense on the blogs on blogger. If your blog was hosted elsewhere you'd most likely have to wait a bit. Just be careful not to click on your own ads, encourage or ask people to click on them or have them in too many places on one page of your blog or they may disable your adsense account.

If you have any questions about how to do anything on blogger PM me and I'll try to help.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Registered WAHM

Yeah I'm new here too, I want to have a blog on landscaping projects I have in mind that would be indeed a very enjoyable hobby of mine.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:40 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroolic View Post
Yeah I'm new here too, I want to have a blog on landscaping projects I have in mind that would be indeed a very enjoyable hobby of mine.

that sounds like a interesting blog!! im trying to get mine off of the ground. its kinda confusing at this time.lol
i have it started but, the design is not what i like or would think of when i see other people's blog's.lol

thanks for all of the other suggestions! don
Old 04-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig22 View Post
I would definitely go with wordpress.org and pay for hosting and a domain. The small price is worth the better results you'll get. Wordpress.org allows you to easily install plugins to do pretty much anyhting you can think, and will also help with seo efforts.
Very true. It's also a plus for the OCD of us wanting to control our site.

Domains are typically around $10 per year and hosting around $7-10 per month. These are just industry averages, you can find some more and some less. A few of the hosting companies make it really easy to install WordPress in one click and you can learn how by watching the many videos online. And the plugins make it so customizable.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Registered WAHM

It is getting more and more affordable this days to get your own domain and blog hosted.

@ ecoconsiousmom
may i publish your 5 steps guide above to our blog?