Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:37 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlandry View Post
Many or most here will tell you to steer clear of blogger and quote horror stories but I've been on Blogger since 2005 and have had no problems.
Absolutely. But there is a REASON for this that you don't address. If you use Blogger (blogspot) or Wordpress.COM, you don't own your blog.

I would never build a business on a platform that someone else owns. The horror stories you refer to are real, and they very often entail someone spending months and even years building a solid business, only to have it shut down.

Not my idea of fun,
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Super WAHM

I had blogs shutdown with weebly and blogger. I am now using blinkweb. Eventually, I would like to move to wordpress.org. If you are doing affiliate marketing I wouldn't recommend using weebly. With blogger and weebly I found it hard to do internet marketing. I didn't like the fact that weebly and blogger just shut you down they didn't give you a chance to make adjustments. I would of been willing to take some of the ads off of my blog. I was thinking about doing it anyway. I was very upset about that. Weebly did give me some of my pages back but not my blog post. However, I was able to get some of my blog post back and I will be writing about that in an upcoming blog post. I've moved on and I have learned my lesson.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:43 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonMSmith View Post
Absolutely. But there is a REASON for this that you don't address. If you use Blogger (blogspot) or Wordpress.COM, you don't own your blog.

I would never build a business on a platform that someone else owns. The horror stories you refer to are real, and they very often entail someone spending months and even years building a solid business, only to have it shut down.

Not my idea of fun,
I agree that a business should be self hosted and not on a free hosting site. One reason I'm so pro Blogger is that everybody is badmouthing it and not listening to what the original poster is saying or asking. Some are asking questions and not asking for a dissertation on the many faults of blogger. One person stating why Wordpress is best is fine but that's not how it is. Without even reading, everybody piles on the post bashing blogger and pushes their own host without knowing the financial situation of the OP or their intent with their blog.

So many are saying how cheap it is to get hosting yet when someone is out of work and wanting to get started that $7 a month might be the difference between a needed medication, 1 meal or having enough to pay an electric bill. Blogger is a great place to START if finances are tight but I will always encourage someone to get their own domain and then if/when they have the finances to start paying their own hosting without breaking the household budget it's easier to move and they're not starting over again.

I never once complained about a hosting site but I've read horror stories of Hostgater shutting down blogs due to too many visitors, an ad that's not functioning right or the wrong plug-in or combination of plug-in's. I know people that can't get customer support of many hosting sites (that many here push) to help them get their blogs back up and having to pay someone to try to figure out the problem. Many are leaving Hostgater for that very reason, lack of customer support and their blogs being shut down for days and that in turn costs them money. But I won't tell everyone who recommends Hostgater that they're full of it and berate them for their choice yet with Blogger that happens all the time.

Alison, I'm not aiming this at you as you are one of the sweetest, most helpful members here. It's just the way things are on WAHM and every once in a while it really irritates me. I often tell myself I'm going to stay off of WAHM because of this but eventually find myself coming back and after a few weeks of seeing the same thing I get upset and leave again. I never understand why people can't accept another blogger's choice without the constant criticism of that choice.