Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Closed Forums > West

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Super WAHM

If you are new to West, or interested in working for West, please start here by reading this post. If what is written here does not answer your basic questions, please feel free to post a topic and the wonderful group of ladies and gentlemen here would be very willing to help you! Please do not respond to this post with new member questions please post a new topic.

What is West? Will I be an employee or an independent contractor?

West, or Work At Home Agent (WAHA), is an inbound, call-taking, work at home opportunity. When working for West you are an independent contractor, meaning no income taxes or SS are taken out of your check and it is your responsibility to file your taxes accordingly. West does not offer benefits, disability, or insurance. PLEASE NOTE: West does NOT do employee verification for loans, mortgages, apartment complexes, check cashing, payday advance, etc., as you are not an "employee".

Is this telemarketing? Do I have to make long distance calls?

No, West is 100% inbound call taking. Meaning, all calls come to your home phone and you process the calls in real time on your computer.

How do I apply? Can I have dial up? Does it cost anything?

Please visit www.workathomeagent.com to apply to work for West. At this time they do not allow dial-up connections because of the speed and unreliable nature of dial-up. You are required to have high speed access, i.e. Cable Modem, DSL, or T1. In addition, there are hardware requirements for your computer. You can find this info in more detail at their website. It does not cost anything to apply for West. If your phone or computer system does not comply with West regulations, it is completely up to you if you want to pay to upgrade your system in order to work for West. Also, some people choose to purchase a headset to make call taking easier. A headset is not a requirement and many people work easily without them.

Can I use my cell phone, cordless phone, or VoIP system? Can I have caller ID?

West now allows use of VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) systems for call taking (i.e. Vonage, Skype, etc). You cannot use your cell phone to process calls for West. You cannot use your cordless phone to process calls for West. In addition, West requires that all accessories be disabled: caller ID, call waiting, call forwarding, voice mail, etc.

What companies will I take calls for? Why do you all abbreviate and use * marks instead of writing out company names?

There are various companies or "lines" running for West during a given year. It is a breech of contract to state the names of the companies that West is working with. Please read the permanent post that lists the abbreviations used. If you want more specific info, you can private message (pm) a member of the forum and they will usually be happy to help you.

Is the training paid? How long does it take?

West does not offer paid training. You must complete the training within a given time frame, there is no compensation for your training. Training length is 2-10 days for most people, depending on the pace you work.

How many hours can I work? How do I get hours?

Most lines have a minimum number of hours you must work each month in order to stay certified. Some people work as few as 1 hour a week, others have been known to work over 100. How many hours you work is dependent on the number available and your ability to pick them up off the schedule. Hours are posted at random by West. It is up to the contractor to monitor the schedule and pick up hours they want to work. PLEASE NOTE: Hours can be very hard to come by, and it is strongly advised you do NOT count on West as the sole income to support your family until you have worked for several months and tracked your income progress.

How much MONEY will I make?

Pay rate is usually in "talk time", which means by the minute. The per minute rate can range from .17c to .30c. Currently, two lines do offer a guaranteed hourly rate. Your earning potential is going to vary with the number of hours you work and the amount of call volume you have during your shift. A Full Time (30-40hr) contractor could expect to make $200-500 a week depending on call volume.

How am I paid?

West pays every two weeks. There are several options for pay: check, direct deposit, or paycard. PLEASE NOTE: It is strongly recommended that you save ALL pay stubs from West in order to provide income verification for loans, etc., and for filing your taxes correctly each year.

Can I get time off? What if I miss a shift?

You must adhere to your schedule with an 80% attendance rate. Meaning, you must work 80% of your scheduled shifts. There are NO "excused absences" for any reason. You do not need to call in sick. West does not offer sick time or vacation time. You would just not pick up hours for the time you want to be off work.

Thank you for reading, and best of luck with your West journey!

Shanna [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Edited by: shannala
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Awesome WAHM

Send a message via MSN to tamagin Send a message via Yahoo to tamagin

Defiantly needs to be sticky

Great idea [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2006, 09:38 AM
WAHM Regular

where is the permanent post for the names of companies D is contracted with???
Old 03-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Super WAHM

Its called Attention all WAHA Agents, or something very similar.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:13 AM
Super WAHM

Send a message via Yahoo to JamesnBama

If I recall the last conference call we had they did say we could use cordless phones. FYI

James
Old 03-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Awesome WAHM

Yes you can definately use cordless phones and itis okon all lines.Using a cordless phone is notexactly a good idea in the case of power outageyou would be abruptly hanging up on the customer, with acorded telephone you would be able to tell the customer what is going on. But they did say that it is ok.

Also I use Vonage and do not see the problem with it. Ihaveheard that you're not really supposed to have it but then I also know of otherpeople that use it. And I am not getting rid of Vonage, itis a lot cheaper then the darn phone company in my town.

Also on your time off part, excused time is offered on linessometimes when there is low cv. When et is offeredagents are able take their shift off instead of working it and not have their performance messed up.

Just FYI

Edited to say that I just did a little bit of research on the VOIP thing and I found out that an agent can use services such as Vonage. They just discourage it.Edited by: raynasmom
Old 03-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Registered WAHM

Send a message via Yahoo to montanagalri

What 2 companies guarantee hourly wages? Also, what is the pay rate per minute with c*r*k*t? Thanks. Edited by: montanagalri
Old 03-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Super WAHM

C*C and Pac!f!care have GR. Don't know the answer about cr!cket.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Super WAHM

(I can't edit the post or it will lose its sticky, but I did say something incorrect in the original post.)

West DOES offer verification for cashing your paycheck. There is a toll-free number on your paycheck that a bank or other institution can call in order to verify your check is valid. West does NOT offer any other form of employee or income verification.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:24 PM
Registered WAHM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fairymoon

Hi I applies to this company and did the survey test,,, But I still haven't heard from them.. How long does it usually take