Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-11-2022, 01:02 PM
WAHM Regular

Question Independent contractor article

Hello everyone, I just came across this article today on the internet regarding independent contractors in the gig economy. Is this going to affect our job in any way? I hope this data entry company "KeyForCash" will continue to stay in business because of these proposed changes to the independent contractor/gig economy law. I love typing from home for this company so much. What are your thoughts on this article? Thanks to all that reply.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...es-contractors

Last edited by Diamond500; 10-12-2022 at 02:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2022, 02:42 PM
Super WAHM

My thoughts would be and not sure I totally understand the article but I feel as long as you are working full time (30-40hrs) for at least minimum wage, then you are entitled to benefits, But as an independent contractor those are benefits you would have to provide yourself since you are the boss/owner. . However, like us keyers, we knew when we signed on we would NOT make minimum wage nor receive any kind of benefits. So I feel they should leave independent contractors like us, alone. I guess I don't understand just what the issue is.
Old 10-11-2022, 03:32 PM
WAHM Regular

Smile Independent contractor article

I don't completely understand the article either. I find the article confusing as well. It sounds like they want all independent contractors to become employees and receive benefits, especially for companies like Uber and Lyft. However, we are already classified as "independent contractors" who will not receive any benefits, and we all knew this when we signed up for "KeyForCash." I don't know for sure if this new proposed law would even apply to us or not. if it would, it could put many small companies out of business. The government should just let companies decide for themselves if they want to hire independent contractors or employees, and some businesses have both. I just hope "KeyForCash" continues to thrive and stay in business for us data entry keyers, as I have benefited from the money I have made here through the years as a "side income" for myself. It's definitely one of the last true data entry companies left in the United States. I have a tax preparer do my taxes every year to help avoid any mistakes or confusion for tax return preparation each year. The tax laws change every year and are confusing and time consuming to do your taxes by yourself, so I just have a tax professional take care of it every year. I just thought I would post the article on here to inform everyone of proposed changes to the "independent contractor" law which could go into effect next year. I hope everyone has a great evening!

Last edited by Diamond500; 10-12-2022 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:14 AM
Super WAHM

Sounds more like there will be a crack down on those classifying their personnel as contractors when they're employees to get around the labor laws for paying things like overtime & not offering benefits like health insurance.

I would suggest that the govt also spend time on looking into those who are classified as salaried employees who get abused working overtime & not being paid that overtime b/c the employee agreed to be salaried.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:57 AM
Registered WAHM

I really hope this won't affect us here at KFC. When we signed on it was made clear that this is part time gig and we shouldn't expect anything more than that. I for one am totally happy with things the way they are. Ronald Reagan once said, "The scariest words you will ever hear are 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'".

Two good things about this article are 1) that it says the changes are proposed and 2) could take several months to be implemented. I usually try to leave politics out of the forums, but I have to say this. If you don't want more policies like this enacted vote Republican next month. We need to get the Democrats out before they do any more damage.
Old 10-13-2022, 04:45 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by teybear View Post
I really hope this won't affect us here at KFC. When we signed on it was made clear that this is part time gig and we shouldn't expect anything more than that. I for one am totally happy with things the way they are. Ronald Reagan once said, "The scariest words you will ever hear are 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'".

Two good things about this article are 1) that it says the changes are proposed and 2) could take several months to be implemented. I usually try to leave politics out of the forums, but I have to say this. If you don't want more policies like this enacted vote Republican next month. We need to get the Democrats out before they do any more damage.
I agree with you.