Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:43 PM
Registered WAHM

Default MT or Medical coding or something else?

Hey guys. I am new to the work from home job market. I have read some places that MT is a dying thing. I have looked at doing online classes but donít want to pay for something that wonít be a logical option. I am up for any advice, whether you think legal transcription or whatever is the best choice for a newbie. My main concern is helping to bring in income since I canít work away from home with my fibromyalgia. Thanks in advance for any advice !
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2018, 03:28 PM
WAHM Regular

While the medical transcription field has evolved greatly with the advent of new technology, that doesn't mean it is no longer a valid career choice. In some places the emphasis is on editing, which is why Career Step has evolved with the field to include Medical Transcription Editing as part of its certification.
I will say that Medical Transcription is a job that pays on production, so it is a field best suited to
1. those who are fast workers, i.e., if i you read faster than most and always found yourself impatiently working ahead in school; and
2. those who already have a good grasp on grammar in general.

Properly trained medical transcriptionists are in demand. MModal, one of the largest Medical Transcription employers in the nation just increased their pay for medical transcription editors over 50% and 30% for standard transcription.

Employers value the AHDI (Association for Healthcare Document Integrity) certification and they offer a list of approved online programs. Career Step is an approved program that gets you prepared for the AHDI's certification exam. The Career Step program offers over 600 hours of curriculum including over 40 hours of real dictation practice. They provide a transcription pedal, graduate job placement and resume assistance and a voucher to take the certification exam. 90% of their students report finding employment after graduation.

If you are interested in pursuing a certification in Medical Transcription, now is a good time. Career Step often offers tuition discounts to students who pay up front, but this month they are even offering some discounts when you sign up for their 3 or 12 month payment plans. Career Step has been education medical office professionals for over 25 years and is a name recognized by employers. Here is a link to those discounts:

Career Step | Medical Transcription | Medical Coding | Pharmacist Assistant
Old 02-03-2018, 03:41 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Medical coding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquinby View Post
Hey guys. I am new to the work from home job market. I have read some places that MT is a dying thing. I have looked at doing online classes but donít want to pay for something that wonít be a logical option. I am up for any advice, whether you think legal transcription or whatever is the best choice for a newbie. My main concern is helping to bring in income since I canít work away from home with my fibromyalgia. Thanks in advance for any advice !
Hi I forgot to add in my previous post. Medical coding is a really great career option as well, but to be honest, the majority of remote coding positions go to experienced coders, but there are some companies out there who hire and train newer graduates for remote positions.
Medical coding does pay better than medical transcription and you can definitely complete the medical coding training from home. Career Step's online program is one of the few online programs to be approved by AHIMA (one of the places where you can get your certification).
Career Step | Medical Transcription | Medical Coding | Pharmacist Assistant
Old 02-25-2018, 11:15 PM
Registered WAHM

This site has a lot of good info on getting started in either Medical Coding and Medical Transcription:
Medical Office Careers
Old 03-09-2018, 01:57 PM
WAHM Regular

I am currently taking the medical transcription editing program through Everett community college. Itís really going very well, but it is more in depth than I ever imagined.

I am really hoping that this is going to be something that I can complete and work from home with. Everett goes through career step and the only reason that Iíve gone through the college so I can apply for financial aid to help offset the cost.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:58 PM
Registered WAHM

I will be starting Everett Community College, April 2. For Medical Transcription and Editing. Glad to hear that is is going very well.

I was able to get FAFSA to help with tuition. Otherwise couldn't not have been going. I am looking very much forward to it. And preparing best I can.

Good luck to you!
Old 03-26-2018, 08:33 PM
Registered WAHM

Hi guys I am in the transcription program through Penn Foster and am almost done. Does anyone know any work at home companies that hire new MT's without experience? Most of the ones I have seen require experience. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:08 PM
Registered WAHM

Everett goes through career step and the only reason that I’ve gone through the college so I can apply for financial aid to help offset the cost.
Redtube Beeg Spankbang

Last edited by salminho; 04-15-2019 at 01:46 PM.