Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Registered WAHM

Thumbs up Rev

Does anybody work for Rev transcription and be willing to share their experiences (good or bad)? I've done a little transcription in the past but still a newbie....The testing kind of scares me so any tips would be welcomed.

Finding a job once again due to outsourcing is a PITA.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2017, 03:46 PM
Registered WAHM

Default I do!

I've been working for Rev for a few months now and its pretty cool. The testing for the transcription side is really easy, so dont worry. Once your in, your a Rookie for a few short jobs. If you get good scores on those then you go to the Revver level. You pick which jobs you want and youre told the length, total pay, pay per audio minute, and when its due. You get paid every Monday via PayPal like clockwork. Pay per audio minute ranges from .45 to .90 cents. Try it out and see what you think!
Old 12-31-2017, 05:23 AM
WAHM Regular

Do they require you to type a certain amount of words per minute? Is the test hard?
Old 01-06-2018, 04:52 AM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acquistapace21 View Post
I've been working for Rev for a few months now and its pretty cool. The testing for the transcription side is really easy, so dont worry. Once your in, your a Rookie for a few short jobs. If you get good scores on those then you go to the Revver level. You pick which jobs you want and youre told the length, total pay, pay per audio minute, and when its due. You get paid every Monday via PayPal like clockwork. Pay per audio minute ranges from .45 to .90 cents. Try it out and see what you think!
I'm sorry but the pay range you gave is very misleading. There are very few IF ANY jobs at 90 cents per audio minute. Most of the jobs are in the 45-50 cent range. Less than a fifth will even make it to 65 cents and that is only if the audio is so horrible it's not getting completed and has multiple unclaims.

Rev USED TO BE a decent place to work. They changed their policies and pay so now the pay is less than minimum wage, subpar to say the least and simply not worth the time, effort and stress involved in earning the crumbs they expect you to accept.

The grading is done by other transcriptionists, some of whom who have only been doing transcription a few weeks or months. The grading is inconsistent at best due to the lack of experience and standards for who is a grader. Yet your metrics and hence your pay and even account there is dependent on these so-called 'graders.' There are many, many reports on Glassdoor and elsewhere where Revvers accounts have been closed without warning. This is at least in part due to the grading system I just described where your metrics are negatively impacted by graders who do not always know what they're doing.

If your account gets closed the decision is final whether or not the closure was warranted. Thus, there is a lack of due process there.

The other huge drawback is if you are as much as an hour past your deadline, the job is forcibly taken from you no matter how close you are to finishing. This is a new policy that was put into effect only within the past couple of years. It used to be Support would contact you to see when you could finish the job and extend your deadline depending on whether you can finish in a reasonable amount of time. Now, you are locked out of the project. Any work you've done in the Editor is taken and given to someone else to complete and you are paid NOTHING. That's right. If you had only 1 minute left to transcribe in a 2-hour long audio, but were an hour past the deadline, you get nothing for whatever you've done.

Another way to lose your pay is if you failed to transcribe some irrelevant conversation such as at the end of an audio when everyone is leaving the room or some nonsense in the hallway or off-mike that is barely audible. Most companies would consider this extraneous and expect you to ignore it or only briefly note it as to not break up the flow of the transcript. Not Rev. If you don't transcribe something barely audible and completely irrelevant you get 1/1s for grades and your pay is taken away for the entire job.

The Style Guide is constantly changing so something correct one week will be completely wrong the next.

About the only positive I can say about them is the little they pay they pay it on time. (Every Monday via PayPal). Although I have yet to be stiffed by any company, so that's not saying a lot. It's pretty basic and to be expected that you actually get paid.

Bottom-line: Avoid Rev. The pay and policies just aren't worth it. If you have experience, you have better options and don't have to settle for Rev. Look on Indeed. They have posting for both experienced and inexperienced transcriptionists on a regular basis. Rev isn't the only game in town.

Last edited by AtHomeScribe; 01-06-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:47 AM
WAHM Regular

I put my app in for Rev back on the 8th of January. They said I'd hear back one way or another within a week, but I still haven't heard anything at all from them. Are they behind on processing apps?
Old 02-14-2018, 06:43 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtHomeScribe View Post

Bottom-line: Avoid Rev. The pay and policies just aren't worth it. If you have experience, you have better options and don't have to settle for Rev. Look on Indeed. They have posting for both experienced and inexperienced transcriptionists on a regular basis. Rev isn't the only game in town.
Hi, I've been working at Rev for the last 2 months with Q.A of 4.8. I'm now at Revver +. Please link me to at least one of these better options.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:54 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Rev

Wow, I worked for Rev a few years ago, and it was a pretty decent company to work for. Sad to see things have changed so much. Guess I will bypass Rev this time around.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:27 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by denka View Post
Wow, I worked for Rev a few years ago, and it was a pretty decent company to work for. Sad to see things have changed so much. Guess I will bypass Rev this time around.
Hi Denka, I'm on Rev at the moment. Any leads on better transcription platforms?
Old 04-06-2018, 09:36 AM
Super WAHM

How fast does your internet connection have to be for rev? My connection is not extremely fast, but it's not extremely slow either. Internet connection falls somewhere inbetween. Most information loads without interuption on my laptop 99% of the time, but it does stop ocassionally. All repies appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by diamond100; 04-06-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:11 PM
Registered WAHM

this thread should be good

Closed Thread