Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:11 AM
Registered WAHM

Smile Questions from a wanna be writer

Hello,
I've been working from home for quite awhile now and I'm looking for a new egg to add to my basket. I've been thinking about getting into writing but I have no experience other than writing in school, I was wondering if any of you fantastic wahm's have any advice about a good site to start with? I thought someone had posted that here in the past but I'm not finding any threads. I greatly appreciate your suggestions and best of luck to everyone on their job hunt!
~Lindsey
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2017, 07:43 AM
Awesome WAHM

I think that depends a lot on what you want to write about.

Jim Rohn said something like: if you want to learn how to write - read. At least I think it was Jim.

You need to figure out what subjects you want to write about and study the greats in those subjects. What I mean is if you want to write novels read the classics. If you want to write in a field like copywriting study the winning controls that great copywriters wrote along with their books.

Last edited by JoeSpirit; 04-05-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:08 AM
Registered WAHM

Thanks for your response Joe Spirit. I guess I should have been a little more specific. I'm wanting to start possibly a blog or write articles os something of that sort. What I'm really looking for is if anyone has some good recommendations for a content mill or something similar to start on so I can gain some experience. I do love to read, but not really interested in writing a novel or anything as I think coming up with all the little details would be tedious. Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Awesome WAHM

Ah. In that case I would suggest doing a search for article directories and niche related blogs.

For the article directories, once you get to them, search for niche related article titles. Ezine Articles is probably the most known.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:29 AM
WAHM Regular

Textbroker is good to start out with. I applied to some other places but it seems they want professional level writing.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:33 AM
WAHM Regular

You can always use Upwork, Guru, or other similar freelancing marketplaces to search the jobs and find things that will work with your skills. I found that, as long as you're careful not to enter into scammy work agreements outside the marketplaces, you can usually find decent jobs that fit your skills while gaining some work to add to your portfolio.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Writer

Default Amazon Kindle Self-Publish

After years of thinking about it, I finally self-published my first book of poetry translations at Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing.. You can google it to find a ton of info on what it is and how it works. Was actually easier than I thought, but of course remains to be seen how it works with readership, etc. Makes me happy, nevertheless, just knowing I have a book to my name now.. (link in my signature if you want to check it out - no need to have a Kindle or anything, can just click and read the first 7 pages right on Amazon.)

Last edited by Arelf27; 04-08-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:44 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Writing follow your heart

Writing is one of those things I have in my basket too. And one day...

I agree with Joe you need to know what subject to tackle. It should be something near and dear to your heart, even if it is your own personal story turned into a fictional.

I have years worths of writings in various notebooks that one day will make a great novel or something.

If you love what you write it will happen.

There are a lot of book writing companies these days if you Google it. I know my son-in-law went on Amazon and did a publication as you can sell right on there as a download.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:24 AM
Awesome WAHM

I have a number of books on Amazon Kindle that I've written. They vary in subject matter and are the result of my experiences in life.

They don't sell in abundance but over the past few years that they've been available on Amazon the sales have trickled among them enough that together they don't do so bad.

I think the important thing is to just start writing/creating and get the information out there. You'll never know how people will receive you if you don't give them an opportunity to receive you.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:00 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Freelance Writing

it is hard to narrow down to just one subject, but if you write about what you love and love to learn about you should be successful.

A great place to start I would agree is textbroker or upworks. If anything it will give you some practice to see what you are talented in writing in order to pursue your blog ideas.