Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:34 PM
Registered WAHM

Smile How to get started as a newbie?

Hi everyone, I'm a complete newbie here. Can you give me some tips on how I can get started on transcribing?

I'm aiming to do general transcribing work. Is any training necessary?

I know that you would have to pass tests to work for some of the online transcribing companies, I have no idea what those test are like. Has any of you taken those tests and give me an idea what those are like and how to prepare for them?

Some people started from doing transcribing work from Fivver or oDesk, I'm not sure how to start on those when you are completely new and don't have any ratings?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2017, 05:10 AM
Registered WAHM

I am not currently doing any home transcribing, but again looking to get into it in order to have a more flexible schedule. I currently work at a law office transcribing for most of the day. Prior to this, however, I worked at a bank and wanted to get back into transcribing ... I previously worked at a different local law office ... which is how I originally found this forum. I read in a forum (I don't know that it's this one or another one ... this was a couple years ago) to do practice files.

Search for "transcription practice files" and you should be able to come up with something. I see that Pioneer has some practice files, NCH has a few practice files on its site, and while searching, I found that a member of this forum had posted some sites on transcription practice, one being Stenospeed.

At work, I use DigiScribe. I don't know that most people doing home transcription use that. You can download a free trial of NCH's transcription program from their site. I found my home foot pedal on ebay, which is the same one I use at work. Just be sure that your foot pedal is compatible with whatever transcription program you're using.

Again, I'm not currently doing home transcription but I'm looking into it. As far as inserting times and such, I don't know how to do that as of yet. Also, some companies are verbatim and some aren't. After doing transcription at a law office, I'm not sure that I can do verbatim transcription.

Tags
newbies, transcribe