Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Transcription Services & Scopists

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:04 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Do apartment neighbors get annoyed by your transcribing?

I've never had an issue until recently. I've been here over a year. I tried putting a towel under my foot pedal and even my keyboard, but it seems every time I start they start making noise. I can't not work. And if I move to the other room my other neighbors will get annoyed and it's louder over there.

I tried putting another towel, but it hurt my foot. I don't know if it's my pedal squeaking... any suggestions for a quiet foot pedal?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2016, 04:13 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody1111111 View Post
I've never had an issue until recently. I've been here over a year. I tried putting a towel under my foot pedal and even my keyboard, but it seems every time I start they start making noise. I can't not work. And if I move to the other room my other neighbors will get annoyed and it's louder over there.

I tried putting another towel, but it hurt my foot. I don't know if it's my pedal squeaking... any suggestions for a quiet foot pedal?

Wow sorry to hear that. Those walls must be paper thin. I can't believe someone can hear a squeaky pedal like that. Is it really loud to you? I'm not really sure what to suggest. I have a stop/start foot pedal that I've had for many years & it doesn't squeak. Have you put a rug underneath it, maybe a thick one. Maybe that would help? I don't know what else to suggest.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:27 PM
WAHM Fanatic

When I did live in an apt complex, I never had any complaints doing transcription. However I believe there were firewalls in between one of the apt complexes, so I rarely heard noise coming from my neighbors. So I'm sure they didn't hear any noise that may have been coming from my apt. I never got any complaints anyway.

Maybe you can move to a wall that connects with a room in your apt & not be close to any walls that you share with neighbors. Or move to the middle of the room.

That's what I hated about apt living is dealing with noisy neighbors. In another apt complex I lived in there would be people outside my window keeping loud noises after hours & that annoyed me to no end. Though I have to say I didn't hear much noise from apt to apt.

Hope you can find a solution, as you stated you have to work.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:01 AM
WAHM Regular

That is truly unusual, my foot pedal doesn't make a sound unless I step on it too hard. I think the suggestion of putting a rug underneath is good. Maybe your neighbors aren't such nice neighbors. I just can't imagine a foot pedal making that much noise - just a thought.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:39 PM
Super WAHM

This is bizarre. I work in my living room and my kids do their homework, read, watch TV, and play without being bothered by any of it - the clacking of the keys or the occasional pedal squeak. Your neighbors sound like they have issues other than your work.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:02 AM
WAHM Regular

I got my pedal on Amazon. It doesn't squeak or make much noise at all... I'm assuming that maybe you're upstairs and they're hearing a squeak in the floor when you press down? In that case, I'd ignore them. Get some noise isolating headphones and continue to work.

The next time you see them, mention something about the trials and tribulations of working at home. If your pedal is squeaky, make a joke about it or something. Smile, wish them a nice day, and keep going.

That way, you've covered the issue of hearing their noise (w/your noise isolating headphones) and have addressed the issue of your noise. Once they realize you're working and it's not the squeak of like, your hamster wheel or something, they'll likely be nicer about it.