Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:41 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Is Transcribeme legit? Has anyone tried it?

Hello,
I am looking for a legit work from home gig. I tried apply for Rev but even though I write on a Masters degree level I got rejected. So I am thinking about trying Transcribeme. Has anyone tried it? Is it legit? Is the pay decent?
Thanks,
Andrea
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2016, 01:08 PM
WAHM Regular

Yes, they are legit. I've worked for them for about a year. I enjoyed it in the beginning because I was on a special team and made a higher rate than the general pool. Then they got rid of this team and demoted everyone back into the general pool where the rate is 33 cents a minute. You are only transcribing tiny portions of a larger file, anywhere from 10 seconds to 1 minute. The audio is mostly bad. If QA heavily edits it, the system will automatically reject your file. Then you have to contest it, just to get back your 7 cents or whatever. QA people are mostly new and inconsistent with the rules. Everyone is confused and frustrated lately. The leaders used to listen to feedback and were actively engaged in the forum. Not so anymore. I don't know what's happening there, but it isn't good. I'd keep looking if I were you.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:41 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaRelli View Post
Hello,
I am looking for a legit work from home gig. I tried apply for Rev but even though I write on a Masters degree level I got rejected. So I am thinking about trying Transcribeme. Has anyone tried it? Is it legit? Is the pay decent?
Thanks,
Andrea
Yes, they are legit and you wouldn't have to worry about payments. The pay, as Andrea stated, is 33 cents a minute. The audio quality varies between very good to very bad, but you do have the option to cancel out of a bad job. Usually, you can then move on to a better quality file, but you can have a bad day and keep getting mostly bad jobs.

It's a good gig for those looking to make some bucks on the side. If you're looking at it on a long-term basis and want to make decent money, then you've got to hang in there and qualify for QA and Reviewer status and get invited (based on your work) to special teams that they have on there where you can work on what they call Single-Step Sessions, which is basically jobs that you type and edit yourself - the rates on these usually are double the usual rate.

As Andrea mentioned, the automatic rejection system does make new transcribers frustrated, especially if they haven't gone through the style guide thoroughly. You can contest rejections and get them reversed. I would advise new transcribers from working on short duration files and instead work on the 1 minute files when available to build up a history of about 50 jobs. Your quality percentages are likely to be much, much better working on the 1 minute jobs than the 12-20 second jobs.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:37 PM
WAHM Regular

Default No longer taking applications.

I looked at Transcribeme a couple of days ago.
They are no longer taking applications.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:31 AM
WAHM Regular

There are companies out there that do pay more. I have not transcribed anything for less than 0.50
Old 05-09-2016, 06:46 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easywork7 View Post
There are companies out there that do pay more. I have not transcribed anything for less than 0.50
Perhaps you can list some of those. The OP would be thankful for that I'm sure.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori786 View Post
Perhaps you can list some of those. The OP would be thankful for that I'm sure.
The best way to determine pay is to either make an estimate based on what a particular company is charging their clients or to apply. Most companies do not take kindly to their contractors posting their pay on public forums. I, too, do work for many companies that pay much more than 50 cents an audio hour and, no, I won't be listing who they are and what they pay as I would like to keep those contracts. It's really not that hard to find out. When I started in transcription I knew nothing - zip, zilch, nada, and I managed to find a plethora of companies on my own (simple Google search) and ascertain their pay through one or both of the methods I mentioned above.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:42 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisakd View Post
The best way to determine pay is to either make an estimate based on what a particular company is charging their clients or to apply. Most companies do not take kindly to their contractors posting their pay on public forums. I, too, do work for many companies that pay much more than 50 cents an audio hour and, no, I won't be listing who they are and what they pay as I would like to keep those contracts. It's really not that hard to find out. When I started in transcription I knew nothing - zip, zilch, nada, and I managed to find a plethora of companies on my own (simple Google search) and ascertain their pay through one or both of the methods I mentioned above.
Okay. The OP can take note of your message and do the needful in search of those companies.

Tags
rev, transciptionist, transcribeme, transcription, writing