Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:34 AM
WAHM Regular

Default If you haven't heard back from me...

We are still looking for a few people.

If you haven't heard back from me, it's for one of two reasons:

(1) Your e-mail or message to me had grammar and/or spelling mistakes.

I used to respond and tell people this is why I'm not testing them. I figured it was the best way to let people know why I'm not interested, rather than wasting both of our time by giving a test. I also think it's nice for them to know, just in case they want to e-mail someone else. That way, if they're e-mailing for another job, they'll know to either proofread or brush up on their grammar and spelling beforehand.

However, if I nicely told people why I'm not giving them a test, a lot of people would actually send me a nasty response. So, I have just stopped responding period, rather than lie and say I'm not taking anyone else.

(2) You're asking way too much for payment.

If I can't get close to what you're asking, chances are, you're not going to last long or you won't be happy. Please check the pricing page on my website. I cannot pay you what I'm getting paid.

When I explain to some people why I can't start them at what they want and ask if they checked the rates on my page, a lot of people will respond with, "I did check the rates, but I was asking this rate because I figured I could work on the faster turnaround things that you charge higher for."

Just a note: those typically go to people who have been with me longer and I'm 100% certain of their skills. Yes, people do get paid higher for them, but starting out, you wouldn't be working on those files.

Most of my clients select one-month or two-week turnaround time, so most of the work will pay based off that. I also give my clients a free hour of transcription when they refer someone, which of course I pay you for but I don't get paid. There are are also retainer packages that I put on sale once a year. So it's not always the cut-and-dry rates that I post on my website.

While, yes, sometimes I do pay $1/minute for the things I'm getting paid more on, I actually charge $1/minute for a lot of the work that comes in to my clients. I obviously cannot pay you what I'm getting paid. I need room in there for a transcriber, editor, credit card processing fees, advertising and other general costs of doing business. You wouldn't make $1/minute on everything you do, and most of the time, those higher-paying files go to the best people who have been working with me the longest.

Anyway, I just thought I'd put this out there, so people know why they're not hearing back.

Thank you!

Last edited by Lainie23; 09-24-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2014, 01:22 PM
WAHM Regular

What kind of transcription software is required to work for you? Thanks...
Old 09-24-2014, 01:40 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcray30 View Post
What kind of transcription software is required to work for you? Thanks...
I'm sorry, but I don't understand this question fully. As long as you can transcribe an audio and send it back in Word, nothing else is "required" to work for me. I have software that I recommend, but everybody has their own programs that they feel comfortable with using.

Experience isn't required to work with me, but you should at least know the basics and have some sort of transcription playback software such as Express Scribe. I also recommend a typing expander. I use Shorthand For Windows. However, none of that is technically required; I just think it makes things go a heck of a lot faster.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:01 PM
WAHM Regular

Thanks for letting us know Lainie.

I applied and was wondering whether I'll get the chance to take the test or not. I guess not. At least you let us know. Call it closure haha

Good luck on finding people.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Registered WAHM

Have you filled all of your available positions? If not, I would love to apply. If only for you to have my information on hand in case you need someone in the future. I am new to General Transcribing but I am catching on fairly quickly and would love the opportunity to learn from someone like yourself to farther enhance my skills.

E.T.A. - Ignore this post, I found the company website and will apply through those means. Sorry!

Last edited by jefferzzzz; 10-12-2014 at 07:06 AM.