Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:56 PM
WAHM Regular

Kevin, I totally get where you're coming from. I took the test a second time and failed part 2 again. And this is after I got some actual transcription experience and felt very confident about my performance. And since they don't tell you what it is you did wrong specifically in that part, it's much harder to work on it. I studied and referred to the rules and sincerely have no idea where I went wrong either. If you can't pass it, I wouldn't dwell on it - move on. Yeah, it sucks that you don't get a "correct answer" sheet so you know what you need to work on. There's plenty of other companies, and they all have different rules.So just because you aren't a good for for TM doesn't mean you wouldn't be a great fit somewhere else.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2018, 07:13 AM
Registered WAHM

Default You can do it! + common beginner transcription mistakes! Tips to succeed inTranscript

Hello,

I understand. You are probably making a lot of tiny but costly grammatical mistakes and actually hearing what we might or we think we might from an audio.

For example, it'll -> it'd, it's vs its

you see very tiny but they do add up!

Listen to the audio a couple of times on a fresh start. For example take breaks yes even if we don't want to just a 10 to 20 minute snack or coffee break. And hear it again you will probably start realizing what they are actually saying and you go OH! those moments are priceless I tell you! + plus practice makes perfect!

Also try to get to the topic of the audio for example if it's about business or such the person is probably saying "accounting" not counting ... etc

Sometimes a person has a slight accent so you might hear we've and sometimes its right and sometimes it's not it's actually "we"

The thing is to try to tackle big errors and reduce the tiny ones by going over grammar rules and such and even if you have tiny mistakes like mistaking we've for we and such you'll be all right!

Aim to get comfortable with the audio you are working on at first this may require a lot of patience and breaks and studying but it can definitely be a lot of fun don't let anyone tell you it's not

By comfortable I mean:

Identifying the speaker's accent and making some research watching some youtube videos to a better hold of the accent and what is sounds like to other accents

Try to get a gist of what they are talking about like the topic. And research the topic and its main or common terms or just its terms in general.

So you see transcription is a bit of everything. Research, passion even but definitely patience and endurance. And you can definitely do it.

I am so happy to have learn all this to be able to pass on to someone just starting out. Because I do understand all the frustration and all the hard work that one puts in.

For beginner transcriptionists you can even try volunteering to transcribe TED videos for practice!

For over 2 years I've been trying to break into transcription. But I kept failing and failing and failing tests never knowing what I was doing wrong. So I thought maybe I am not a good "fit" but that's not true. Everything and anything can be achieved through perseverance and determination. Shut out the naysayers . Listen on the yes people. And keep going.

How I found out what I was doing wrong was by taking a small transcription practice test with GoTranscript.

And you also try Scribie another company that gives you about 10 tries to get in and they actually detail what you did "wrong" on the test.

I wish you the best of luck. &
A beautiful, happy life. Never give up! You'll be so glad you didn't.

Not to prove to all these naysayers but to prove to yourself

And I am truly sorry people here reacted this way to you. Instead of helping out a new beginner. Sometimes that's often the case. But there's a lot of good too! Don't discourage to anyone out there.

You can do it!
Old 02-15-2018, 07:16 AM
Registered WAHM

Here are the links:

GoTranscript Practice Test: https://gotranscript.com/practice-transcribing

Scribie: https://scribie.com/jobs

Practice transcribing TED videos: https://www.ted.com/participate/translate/transcribe
Old 06-14-2018, 12:02 AM
Registered WAHM
Array

Thank You for motivating me. I tried 6 audios from transcribeme exam and I am only able to get between 70 to 72%. Then I searched for how to clear the exam, i got this thread and read those harsh words used against the person who started the thread.

The problem is while learning it is very important to get the correct guide. I don't want to cheat but how will I know where I am making mistakes. I had gone through my audios again and again and I found only a few mistakes (as per me) and still 72%. I got hopeless. I need to get through this exam as I am Indian and I am preparing for IELTS. The accent is very tough for me to understand. Also, I am jobless right now and need some income. And I really needed words of motivation. Now, I will try again and again. I will try the other websites as well.

Thanks again. My warm wishes to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriii View Post
Hello,

I understand. You are probably making a lot of tiny but costly grammatical mistakes and actually hearing what we might or we think we might from an audio.

For example, it'll -> it'd, it's vs its

you see very tiny but they do add up!

Listen to the audio a couple of times on a fresh start. For example take breaks yes even if we don't want to just a 10 to 20 minute snack or coffee break. And hear it again you will probably start realizing what they are actually saying and you go OH! those moments are priceless I tell you! + plus practice makes perfect!

Also try to get to the topic of the audio for example if it's about business or such the person is probably saying "accounting" not counting ... etc

Sometimes a person has a slight accent so you might hear we've and sometimes its right and sometimes it's not it's actually "we"

The thing is to try to tackle big errors and reduce the tiny ones by going over grammar rules and such and even if you have tiny mistakes like mistaking we've for we and such you'll be all right!

Aim to get comfortable with the audio you are working on at first this may require a lot of patience and breaks and studying but it can definitely be a lot of fun don't let anyone tell you it's not

By comfortable I mean:

Identifying the speaker's accent and making some research watching some youtube videos to a better hold of the accent and what is sounds like to other accents

Try to get a gist of what they are talking about like the topic. And research the topic and its main or common terms or just its terms in general.

So you see transcription is a bit of everything. Research, passion even but definitely patience and endurance. And you can definitely do it.

I am so happy to have learn all this to be able to pass on to someone just starting out. Because I do understand all the frustration and all the hard work that one puts in.

For beginner transcriptionists you can even try volunteering to transcribe TED videos for practice!

For over 2 years I've been trying to break into transcription. But I kept failing and failing and failing tests never knowing what I was doing wrong. So I thought maybe I am not a good "fit" but that's not true. Everything and anything can be achieved through perseverance and determination. Shut out the naysayers . Listen on the yes people. And keep going.

How I found out what I was doing wrong was by taking a small transcription practice test with GoTranscript.

And you also try Scribie another company that gives you about 10 tries to get in and they actually detail what you did "wrong" on the test.

I wish you the best of luck. &
A beautiful, happy life. Never give up! You'll be so glad you didn't.

Not to prove to all these naysayers but to prove to yourself

And I am truly sorry people here reacted this way to you. Instead of helping out a new beginner. Sometimes that's often the case. But there's a lot of good too! Don't discourage to anyone out there.

You can do it!