Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Awesome WAHM

In my experience, both Norton AND MacAfee are not the best to have. They have been known tocause many problems with other software. This is just my opion, and I also would never recommend them.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Awesome WAHM

TIP I FORGOT:

Many people know this, but for those of you who don't, when your computer is lagging, most of the time, it's because you have programs "running in the background." To prevent this, please do the following:

Go to Start, Run, then type "msconfig" without the quotation marks. A box will come up. Make certain that youchoose "Selective Startup."

Go to the "Startup" tab at the top, and uncheck EVERYTHING! You don't want anything starting up automatically. When these startup items are checked and you boot your computer, it has to read ALL of those programs before it gives you your main screen. After you've done this, you will be prompted to restart your computer. Do so. When your main screen comes back up, you'll notice a box that comes up. That just means you altered something. Just click out of it.

You'll notice a HUGEdifference.

I'll be back with more tips as I remember them.[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Super WAHM

Great tip Grandma!! I went through and selectively removed things from the list rather than taking them all out (if i took them all out my wireless network wasn't automatically connecting, etc) I am amazed at the difference it has made! Thanks a bunch.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Awesome WAHM

You are very welcome. It does make a huge difference, doesn't it? Glad to help! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2006, 05:48 PM
WAHM Regular

sorry, this tip didn't work for my compter, it messed it up! [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Awesome WAHM

angelcasas, this should have TRULY improved the performance of your computer, and I don't know why it could have messed it up. It has NEVER messed up anyone's computer. There must be something else wrong there. Do you use Windows XP? And no, Norton Security is not really a good one, in my opinion. There have been many well known problems with Norton. Maybe that's your problem. Let me know.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Super WAHM

Angelcasas you may be having the same problem that i had originally. i had to go through and select some programs that i needed to have run. you can check only the boxes that you want to start every time. If you are unsure with program the file belongs to just type the file name into google and it should give you an explanation. HTH
Old 07-22-2006, 08:31 PM
WAHM Regular

Like angelcasas, this didn't work for me either. It actually messed up my computer and I had to go back and change it back. I'm wondering if my Norton is the cause of the problem. I've been having non-stop problems since I upgraded to Norton Internet Security 2006. Thanks anyhow Grandma. I really do appreciate the tips you put up here on this board.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Awesome WAHM

You're welcome. I'm sorry you two had the same problem and you both have Norton. As I mentioned earlier, Norton and McAfee have been know to cause huge problems with software programs and also the performance of your computer. I only go with what I trust and what I have no problems with, and I've never had problems with AVG by Grisoft for an anti-virus program, but I DID have problems with Norton before I started with AVG about five or six years ago. Sorry! [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Awesome WAHM

Some systems and programs should not be unchecked for the system configuration startup. This is especially true for anyone using wireless internet or laptops.

Also, your anti-virus software (whatever you choose to use) should always load automatically with windows start up if your computer automatically makes an internet connection when it reboots (DSL, Cable modem, etc.). That one second of downtime is all a hacker kid down your street (especially if you're on cable modem or wireless network, which are both less secure) needs to get into your system.

Which brings me to another piece of advise, if you have a wireless network - password protect it and make the password HARD!! I thought I had a hard password for mine, but we had a friend of ourswho knows all this security garbletry to break in on purpose to our wireless network to see how vulnerable we were. His software guessed my password in just over 20 minutes.

Your wireless network password should have no rhyme or reason to it whatsoever, and it shouldinclude numbers! Make it as long as you can, also. The more digits it has, the harder it will be to crack.

He was able to hack into my phpbb board (with our permission, of course), but that's another story...*sigh*

Also note that if you have tons of fonts installed (I have well over 5000 fonts on this particularcomputer), your computer will be slow to reboot as well. Nothing you can really do to fix that other than not have so dang many fonts. LOL My boyfriend harps on me to remove all mine, but this is my desktop publishing/graphics computer. So I like and need all my fonts on it!

Anyway, Grandma is right for the mainpoint of her suggestionthough. If you deactivate a lot of that stuff inyour startup that isnot involved with your anti-virus and system functionality, your reboot speed is going to VERY much improve. It also lets you know if something is running in the background that shouldn't be by looking through there. A lot of times that's a good place to start looking if you think you're infected with a trojan.