Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Resume for beginner transcriptionist with no experience

Hello all. I am new to general transcription and in the process of applying for work. My question is, what do I put on my resume if I have no experience? Several companies are asking for resumes even if they are a 'we hire beginners' type company. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 06:12 AM
WAHM Regular

Do you have any computer experience? Word? How fast can you type? Are you a good listener? How are your grammar skills? Do you love research and Google?

Do a search for a skill-based resume. Highlight anything that will work well for this industry!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Registered WAHM

Thanks pawp11. All of my computer experience is pretty much self taught. Typing speed is 55+ wpm. I have been in direct sales for a few years and have also owned my own (small) online business on Etsy. So I do know my way around a computer and online. Also, I love Googling things just out of curiosity lol. I will look up some sample resumes online
Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Super WAHM

Default Typing Resume

Include anything typing related you may have done in your previous work - did you type quotes, type letters or emails, or reports? Include anything relevant to transcription that your previous work may have included. Typing courses you may have done should be included. Any business management tips you may have picked up. I worked for 5 years in a recruitment company and offer resume writing as one of my services, if you need any further help.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:02 PM
WAHM Regular

Start at a place that doesn't require a resume. There are many out there. You can find a list in another thread. Then you'll actually have some transcription experience to put on there.

Although, honestly, I don't know why transcription companies require a resume. It honestly doesn't say anything about your skill. My company does a paid test. I give the candidate a 5-10 minute piece of audio and pay a small fee for them to transcribe it. Usually, this is something that's already done and to the client. When they send it back, I make my decision on whether or not to take them on. I've had tons of people send over fantastic resumes, but then when they do the sample, it's horrible. I also have people on my team with absolutely no experience in transcription or anything even related and they are excellent.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:38 AM
WAHM Regular

You can put anything that relates. You can put your typing speed. But if you're looking for something that requires a resume they're going to want to see you did similar work. If you're hell bent on getting the job you can pick up some quick freelance work so you can put that down on your resume.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Registered WAHM

I just joined Focus Forward just by taking their online test and passing it...no resume required. I haven't started actually working for them yet, but I'm all set up to do so and will start as soon as I transition from my temp job which ends early next week.

But on your resume definitely put your typing speed, any computer programs you are familiar with, and any office experience you have, or any grammar/spelling experience you have as well.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplus View Post
Hello all. I am new to general transcription and in the process of applying for work. My question is, what do I put on my resume if I have no experience? Several companies are asking for resumes even if they are a 'we hire beginners' type company. Any suggestions?
Tigerfish is said to hire newbies. Give them a try.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootMT View Post
Tigerfish is said to hire newbies. Give them a try.
Shoot, I hit reply to soon...I was going to add that in the case of a resume showing no experience for what you are applying for, a GREAT cover letter is what you need. That will actually tell the company what it is you are looking for, why you would be great for the job, etc. I know that Word has a ton of templates for this, or you could Google "free cover letters"

Tags
beginner, how to, newbie, resume, transcription