Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2012, 04:11 PM
MartezJ's Avatar
WAHM Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 65
Default Is medical transcription the only work at home career?

I have debated and debated. I am so lost, I guess the only choice is to just try this career out. Is medical transcription the only work at home career? I see other "jobs" but no careers that allow you to actually earn substantial amounts of money other than medical transcription and online teaching. Is there anything else out there?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Barbara Graham's Avatar
WAHM Regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 120
Default

You could consider general transcription, which does require excellent skills at grammar, research, and several other things but does not require a course or certification. Just a few examples of material transcribed in general transcription are interviews, focus groups, lectures, webcasts and recorded insurance interviews, but there is much more.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2012, 09:17 AM
MartezJ's Avatar
WAHM Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Graham View Post
You could consider general transcription, which does require excellent skills at grammar, research, and several other things but does not require a course or certification. Just a few examples of material transcribed in general transcription are interviews, focus groups, lectures, webcasts and recorded insurance interviews, but there is much more.
Yes but general transcription isn't a lucrative career, in fact it's not really a career at all. I am talking about known careers, established more legitimate ones so to speak.

Medical transcription is a known at home career while general transcription is more of a freelance, independent contractor type of thing. With general transcription there is no schooling because it's not really a career unless you try to make it into one. Do you get what I'm trying to say? I am looking for legitimate, careers not money making opportunities.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Barbara Graham's Avatar
WAHM Regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 120
Default

I'm not sure why you would make that distinction. It may not be a well-known career, but if a career is what you want a career it definitely can be. You don't need to be an employee to have a career.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2012, 12:01 PM
MartezJ's Avatar
WAHM Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Graham View Post
I'm not sure why you would make that distinction. It may not be a well-known career, but if a career is what you want a career it definitely can be. You don't need to be an employee to have a career.
Sorry if I'm coming off like general transcription isn't a career because for some people it can be. General transcription just seems more freelance. I do general transcription for speechink from time to time so I understand where you are coming from.

I'm just trying to figure out other work at home career paths other than transcription work. Being a VA seems like it is not an easy field to get into because the jobs are scarce, just as with medical transcription. Does anyone else agree?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2012, 07:44 PM
NeedWork's Avatar
WAHM Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location:
Posts: 152
Default

Sorry, but I also think general transcription is a career. There are so many individuals who have been doing transcription work for over 20yrs! I'd count that as a career, not sure exactly what the distinction is between MT and GT, that make one a "career" and not the other? I do general transcription, the captions for movies and TV shows and find it to be a very good career.

But as far as other careers from home there are CPA's, teachers (as you mentioned), travel agents, customer service agents, financial advisors, etc,etc the list goes on and on... But not sure if any of these are up to your "career" standards.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2012, 08:07 PM
MartezJ's Avatar
WAHM Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedWork View Post
Sorry, but I also think general transcription is a career. There are so many individuals who have been doing transcription work for over 20yrs! I'd count that as a career, not sure exactly what the distinction is between MT and GT, that make one a "career" and not the other? I do general transcription, the captions for movies and TV shows and find it to be a very good career.

But as far as other careers from home there are CPA's, teachers (as you mentioned), travel agents, customer service agents, financial advisors, etc,etc the list goes on and on... But not sure if any of these are up to your "career" standards.
Yeah, I suppose you can call it a career. You say the list goes on do you care to expand the list? How are customer service agents considered a career? There usually isn't room for upward movement in customer service agent jobs am I correct?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2012, 04:09 AM
SoccerMomx2's Avatar
WAHM Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 1,144
Default

I've done general transcription from home. Did not like it. It wasn't for me. That's not to say it's not for someone else. Yes, you can make a career of something other than medical. General to me can be a career. I transcribe only legal work. This has been my work-at-home career going on five years. I've been in the legal field since 1994. I chose to do something I feel comfortable in and love to do. General just wasn't for me.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2012, 04:59 AM
pawp11's Avatar
WAHM Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 196
Default

Maybe if you defined career, we could offer more appropriate input? I am not sure we are seeing your distinction. I know I am not. What makes one a career and one not? (That sounds almost confrontational, but it isn't meant to be. I really want to understand the question to offer my opinion and thoughts.)

My thoughts are you are thinking more MTurk and that sort of thing, perhaps? I personally am a subcontractor who works for two major companies. I work 40 hours a week on average, pay my taxes, and am the main wage earner for my family. Every new contract I get is an advancement in pay. I plan to do this for as long as those things are true. If any one of them changes, I may have to reevaluate.

When you say career, are you really meaning employee with benefits? Is that the distinction? Is it the education aspect? I continue my education every day. I am enrolled in multiple courses at the local college that help me with my chosen profession. I just am not sure what qualifies as career.

I know people who work from home doing a variety of things like CPAs, picture framers, hair dressers, customer service agents, data entry specialists, writers, daycare providers, and more. I know a lady who runs a Ghost Walk and a History Tour from her home in a funky little town. I used to know people who worked from home as home inspectors, mortgage underwriters, etc. Again, whether any of those meet your career criteria, I just don't know.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2012, 05:54 AM
NeedWork's Avatar
WAHM Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location:
Posts: 152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartezJ View Post
Yeah, I suppose you can call it a career. You say the list goes on do you care to expand the list? How are customer service agents considered a career? There usually isn't room for upward movement in customer service agent jobs am I correct?
Why wouldn't customer service agents be a career,vsome people retire from that out side of the home?? And yes you ca move up to management, even in the at home field.

Sure I can expand graphic designers, wed designers, software developers, magazine editors, RN's, pharmacists, insurance claims adjusters (medical and non)... If its a "job" or "career" outside of the home, then there is a good chance you can do it in the home or some variation of it.

Like another pp said, not sure what your looking for, but here are some ideas, it not everything you can do at home, but it give you an idea that the possibilities are endless.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off