Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:01 PM
WAHM Regular

Exclamation Beginner considering doing General Transcription.

I'm looking to find something that I can do from home and I've been considering medical transcribing. I know a course would be necessary to begin that, but I've been looking around here on the forums and I've realized there seems to be general transcribing that wouldn't require a course, but rather just learning how individual companies want their transcriptions done.

Thanks to the recommendation on another post, I visited the Tigerfish website and downloaded their style guide. I'm a fast typer (between 80 - 90 wpm with 0 mistakes) and I have good grammar. I actually worked as a relay for the deaf or hard-of-hearing, so I have experience in typing conversations verbatim.

I'm wondering what it would take me for to get started. Do I need to buy a pedal? I saw some on Amazon, but would love to try this out before I buy a $60 pedal. Also, I downloaded Express Scribe but is that just something I would use for audio playback? I know Tigerfish will hire beginners, but they like their transcribing to be done in Microsoft Word, so is the Express Scribe only for audio in that case, or do I even need to use it at all if I can play the audio in another way?

I would appreciate any tips or advice on how to get started in general transcriptioning. I have a job offer at another relay place in town but would really prefer to be at home. Is this something I could start making money at immediately?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 04:27 PM
WAHM Regular

Obviously someone else may be able to give you better advice than myself, but I'm also trying to get into general transcription with no experience and it's been a few weeks for me without landing a single job. I've purchased a pedal [second hand], a great set of headphones, downloaded Express Scribe [which is just for audio. It works along with the pedal so you can pause, rewind etc.] and have been applying at many, many places. I have even been applying via oDesk and Guru and haven't gotten a single bite. I am a relatively fast typist, have good to excellent spelling and grammar skills. I think sometimes it's more a matter of keeping at it until you find someone to give you a chance.

That's my two cents
Old 09-29-2012, 07:00 AM
WAHM Regular

Thank you for the response. I've transcribed the tests on tigerfish.com and hope to hear back from them. Maybe I'll try a few other places while I wait, as well. Best of luck getting a bite!

Tags
beginner, general transcribing