Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:17 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Does anyone see medical transcription becoming extinct in a few years? Who's still. .

Does anyone see at home Medical Transcription becoming an extinct field in a few years? Who is still working as an at home medical transcriptionist and are you making the same amount of money as you used to make?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Registered WAHM

I can't imagine it going completely away any time soon since, if anything, documentation is getting more and more important.

Automated voice recognition is likely never to be able to understand the nuance that a human ear can.

There will however continue to be downward pressure on rates with international competition and semi-automated EMR systems that will allow Dr. to enter more of their own information.

Ironically, it occurs to me that less specialized and less lucrative transcription might eventually be more steady as it is more difficult to automate and more difficult to target.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Super WAHM

Default will it be worth it?

My question is will it still be worth it at this point to invest in Medical Transcription training?
Old 09-27-2012, 04:31 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by candysue View Post
My question is will it still be worth it at this point to invest in Medical Transcription training?
Read this, maybe it will help answer your question: Medical Transcriptionists : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Old 09-28-2012, 01:57 PM
WAHM Regular

I just don't know anymore. I used to say it will be around for years. That it's not going anywhere. Till I was let go from my job last year because the hospital went to EMR I am with another company now and I love it, but they are gradually trying to change with the world of transcription to keep up, meaning new technology, voice recognition, etc. I don't think it will go completely away, but I think it will be limited, especially for full transcription.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:28 PM
WAHM Addict

Tracy, were you doing clinic transcription or acute care transcription in your job last year?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:50 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyB023 View Post
I just don't know anymore. I used to say it will be around for years. That it's not going anywhere. Till I was let go from my job last year because the hospital went to EMR I am with another company now and I love it, but they are gradually trying to change with the world of transcription to keep up, meaning new technology, voice recognition, etc. I don't think it will go completely away, but I think it will be limited, especially for full transcription.
I do agree. I think saying that it will go "extinct" isn't realistic. However transcription is sort of a dying career in some aspects and is bound to become a career with simply not enough jobs available. EMR's make errors however, there as everyone else on the forums are mentioning, being new more advanced technology invented every single day. Nothing to do but strap up your boots and adjust.

Tags
medical terminology, transcription, typing, wpm