Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewtx View Post
I have done it. And had to do it in a 2:1 turnaround. By the time I was done, my neck and shoulders hurt.
Ouch. I don't think I'd even come close to 200 minutes of audio in a day.

I only do a small percentage of transcriptions when my regular clients need them (and sometimes for myself), and I find long projects really painful physically, especially rush projects. Yes, my neck and shoulders hurt, as well as my lower back, my b..., my legs, my wrists, my fingers...

I guess I don't have much stamina. For the most part, I try to outsource my transcriptions if at all possible and just do the final round with checking and proofing myself.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 06:14 PM
WAHM Master

If I took that many minutes of audio a day, I would have carpal tunnel. No thanks.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:00 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I do legal transcription and I have transcribed that much in a day before and still do when the work is there. I work for Sten-Tel and it is possible to do that much. The quality of the audio is great. If you grab six 35-minute files with that kind of audio, it can be done. I couldn't do it doing general transcription, I've tried.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Super WAHM

If you're doing dictation and your dictators are good at what they do, it's pretty feasible -- but in general transcription, two or more speakers...? I could probably do it if I absolutely had to, but not on a daily basis by any stretch of the imagination!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:19 PM
WAHM Fanatic

JoetteB, I agree with you. General transcription is probably a no! But legal has been quite easy for me to do that many minutes.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:54 PM
WAHM Regular

I used to do that on a regular basis - I took 3.5 hours of audio daily. But I didn't have to proofread the work unless specified to do so - which cut down drastically on my TAT. But that's back in the day when that was my only job - transcription. Now I have a home daycare that I operate from 7AM to 6PM M-F, so I curently only take 1.5 - 2 hours of audio daily.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Registered WAHM

Two hours is about my limit. I've done 200 minutes before, and by the time I was finished it felt like my shoulders and neck were on fire. I'm the most comfortable with about 1.5 hours a day. Of course, 200 minutes of crystal clear audio, with no one interrupting, etc. would be a cakewalk!
Old 11-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Banned

In busy season I do this much at least two days a week, if not more. My average speed is 4:1, so it's not as much as it sounds. I'm lucky that most of the work I do is clean audio with one speaker at a time -- none of the dreaded focus groups or the horrid audio that are the bane of a T's existence. Unfortunately I suffer from "can't say no" disease, which means whatever the client asks I'll say yes to -- even after almost ten years as an independent, subconsciously I'm always convinced the last job I turned in will be the last one I'll ever do.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 PM
WAHM Master

I don't need carpal tunnel. So no thanks!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Registered WAHM

Unhappy How to get started ?

I have worked in the medical field for years as a surgical tech and would rather be working from home. I can type roughly 55 wpm.....how does one get started working as a medical transcriptionist from home?

Tags
transcription, words per minute