Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:30 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartezJ View Post
Wow, if that's true why am I seeing so many people on forums saying it's hard for them to find a job?

I will definatley look into working as a speech recognition editor as well in combination with traditional transcription. Thanks a lot!
People have trouble finding a job for many reasons.

Perhaps the hours they want to work do not match the hours companies need them to work. I've heard that many MT companies require new hires to work 2nd or 3rd shift, and require at least one weekend day. I've also heard that part-time work by new hires is discouraged.

There are lots of MT programs out there. They are not all good programs and do not all adequately prepare their students to join the workforce.

Some students are not cut out for this type of work. It is not easy work, and it's not something that everyone can do.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2012, 04:21 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
People have trouble finding a job for many reasons.

Perhaps the hours they want to work do not match the hours companies need them to work. I've heard that many MT companies require new hires to work 2nd or 3rd shift, and require at least one weekend day. I've also heard that part-time work by new hires is discouraged.

There are lots of MT programs out there. They are not all good programs and do not all adequately prepare their students to join the workforce.

Some students are not cut out for this type of work. It is not easy work, and it's not something that everyone can do.
Yea, I was thinking the safe way to go is to get an associate's degree in medical transcription. However, I need to know if medical transcription will even be a career option in 2014. I honestly am not sure. I will really have to think about...thank you anyway!!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:44 PM
WAHM Addict

MartezJ, you can read about the future of MT here in this Bureau of Labor Statistics link. They have updated their assessment of MT recently with speech recognition editing and offshoring in mind (adding: I'd recommend working in acute care rather than clinic).
Medical Transcriptionists : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

You wouldn't need an associates degree to work in MT; the good online schools are fine.

If you aren't particularly interested in medicine, general/legal transcription is a good choice. If you absolutely love medicine and your heart leads you there, MT might be the choice for you. MT is a big undertaking and requires quite a commitment, and I wouldn't go there unless it's a big interest for you. General/legal is a fine option.

Editing: By commitment, I mean paying for the schooling, likely working shifts and weekends, agreeing to produce a certain number of lines per shift, learning certain platforms, etc.

Last edited by MTHome; 08-12-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:33 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHome View Post
MartezJ, you can read about the future of MT here in this Bureau of Labor Statistics link. They have updated their assessment of MT in the last few years with speech recognition editing and offshoring in mind.
Medical Transcriptionists : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

You wouldn't need an associates degree to work in MT; the good online schools are fine.

If you aren't particularly interested in medicine, general/legal transcription is a good choice. If you absolutely love medicine and your heart leads you there, MT might be the choice for you. MT is a big undertaking and requires quite a commitment, and I wouldn't go there unless it's a big interest for you. General/legal is a fine option.

I am fairly interested in medicine, I am majoring in science in school and will be transferring to a 4 year uni for neuroscience. So the medical transcription online schooling could actually be useful and tie into my major. You say the good online schools are fine but for an employer considering hiring for a work from home position wouldn't they only offer that position to someone they could trust to do the job properly without worries?

EDIT: By the way, you girls are really helping me a lot! I really appreciate it!
Old 08-12-2012, 05:43 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
You say the good online schools are fine but for an employer considering hiring for a work from home position wouldn't they only offer that position to someone they could trust to do the job properly without worries?
Most MTs work at home and are trusted to do that without worries...as long as they had good training. MT companies know what schools they trust to produce graduates that can hit the ground running, and they will test those graduates and hire them out of school (certain companies and certain schools...they work hand in hand).

If you're looking for transferable credits, maybe a community college MT course would be better than an online course.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:34 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Most MTs work at home and are trusted to do that without worries...as long as they had good training. MT companies know what schools they trust to produce graduates that can hit the ground running, and they will test those graduates and hire them out of school (certain companies and certain schools...they work hand in hand).

If you're looking for transferable credits, maybe a community college MT course would be better than an online course.
Is this list accurate for finding an accredited online medical transcription school? What would be the next step after receiving certification?
Old 08-12-2012, 07:01 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Is this list accurate for finding an accredited online medical transcription school? What would be the next step after receiving certification?
Yes, that's the AHDI-approved list. Traditionally, Andrews and M-Tec have been the top 2 schools.

If you look through the MT job ads Jobs and resume posting for Medical Transcription, you can see the companies that are hiring and what they're looking for in an MT and, if you click around in their websites, you may find the schools they prefer. For instance, the first job ad right now is from a company called Nuance and if you look at the bottom of their Career Development page, you'll see a link to the school they recommend, which is M-Tec.

Also, if you click on Nuance's Search Jobs link, you'll see an entry-level MT position open, stating "Recent Graduate from an approved partner program. These currently include MTEC, Inc., Career Step (Honors/High Honors graduates only) and Everett College."

Last edited by MTHome; 08-12-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:51 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Yes, that's the AHDI-approved list. Traditionally, Andrews and M-Tec have been the top 2 schools.

If you look through the MT job ads Jobs and resume posting for Medical Transcription, you can see the companies that are hiring and what they're looking for in an MT and, if you click around in their websites, you may find the schools they prefer. For instance, the first job ad right now is from a company called Nuance and if you look at the bottom of their Career Development page, you'll see a link to the school they recommend, which is M-Tec.

Also, if you click on Nuance's Search Jobs link, you'll see an entry-level MT position open, stating "Recent Graduate from an approved partner program. These currently include MTEC, Inc., Career Step (Honors/High Honors graduates only) and Everett College."

I keep seeing topics like this topic here suggesting that medical transcriptionist are being replaced by EMR's, this is why I am hesitant to pursue a medical transcription career.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:09 AM
WAHM Regular

I think if you are good, there will be work. I work for a pretty progressive company, and we are still a long way from having the MTs go the way of the dinosaur.

We do speech rec and editing, yes, but there are always doctors that this just does not work for.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:12 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
I keep seeing topics like this topic here suggesting that medical transcriptionist are being replaced by EMR's, this is why I am hesitant to pursue a medical transcription career.

Most MTs transcribe and/or edit within an EMR system; I did for years. Electronic medical records (EMR systems) are like a filing cabinet, and patient records get into that filing cabinet in various ways:

~Traditional transcription with doctors dictating and MTs transcribing.

~Speech recognition which MTs edit before it's put into the medical record.

~The doctors in some cases can use a point & click method where they enter the information themselves. This works very well for clinic visits and entering vital signs, weight, height, etc. You'll see your doctor doing this while you're in the clinic exam room. (This is why I always recommend that MTs go into acute care rather than clinic; acute care consists of operative notes, consultations and discharge summaries which include narrative that the doctors can't just "point & click" to get it all into the record.)

The hospital EMR systems I worked in as an MT used a combination of these methods to get their patient records into the database (EMR); radiologists did it one way, surgeons did it another way, and the clinic doctors did it another way.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics report (in the link posted above) took these things into consideration when they revised the MT occupational outlook.

Hope that helps. If you still doubt the future of MT, don't go into it....when in doubt, don't.

Last edited by MTHome; 08-13-2012 at 10:36 AM.