Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:39 PM
WAHM Regular

Angry Deceptive promises to get work done?

Okay, so here goes. I won't mention names at this time since I'm not sure what the future will bring. If anyone wants to PM me and I think we're talking about the same company then I'll respond with more details. Here's what happened:

Several years ago I worked for a California transcription company doing legal and business transcriptions. At the time our state government was fighting over the budget and since the company did a majority of its work for government agencies none of us were getting paid. Even after the budget was settled though I still didn't get checks from them for months at a time. Now mind you I did always get paid, just not for three, four, five or even six months. I would get constant assurances that this client or that paid on time, that things were getting sorted and so on. At one point I was told their philosophy was the transcriber gets paid when the client pays. I decided not to make a fuss about it since I had several other part-time jobs and honestly kind of liked getting a big check in the mail at unexpected times.

A year or so ago I got another job offer that paid more and quicker, so ceased working for them. I did enjoy the work though and told the woman who managed the jobs that I would work for them again if they ever got their pay situation sorted out. By that time my life situation had changed and I could no longer afford to wait months to get paid. I was also suspicious at this point since stories about payment delays were constantly changing.

A year later I was looking to supplement my income since work in another area had slowed down considerably. I remembered that I had liked working for these people but not the delays in payment and emailed the same manager asking if their payment situation had been resolved, if so were they hiring. I got back an email singing my praises and her stating they now paid twice a month. I was so happy and relieved to hear this that I said I'd work for them again. I did do a search online to see if the company had any complaints against them and found nothing, so based on that and her reassurances I started working for them again. I took one large job that had me literally working night and day around the clock for several weeks, because again the manager stated I'd get paid two weeks after job completion.

After that job was completed I started to get more and more work piled on top of me until I was working for them nearly exclusively. Then when the two weeks deadline for payment was approaching I get an email saying they are changing their payment methods and will now be going to the payment after 30 days work. I was very upset and it wasn't lost on me that the change in payment happened to coincide with my two weeks of working for them. By that time I'd done approximately $1,500 worth of work and had been counting on that money to pay a large medical bill for a family member that I've been helping out who is very ill.

I emailed the manager back and forth trying to get why the sudden change in payment methods and the story kept changing. Now she also changed her story claiming that some of the jobs I'd done wouldn't be paid for 30 to 45 days after the work was completed. When I asked about the big job that she'd promised would be paid two weeks later I was told they'd just turned the job into the client, meaning apparently that it sat in their offices for nearly two weeks although I was pushed to have the job done nearly two weeks before that. I was told I should see a pay check soon. It's now approaching three weeks since I completed that job and no check. Needless to say I feel used and betrayed and that I was told a lie simply, because she needed someone to get the work done and was desperate. In one email she slipped and mentioned some jobs still outstanding with other transcribers since last summer, but that it didn't apply to me. That really alarmed me.

In the end, because the story kept changing I said I'd work for them again once they got their pay situation sorted out AND once I'd been paid for the work done. When I looked at the contract I signed with them and read it closely it says they pay every 30 days. I know, I should have queried her about that right then and there, but barely looked at it since I'd worked for them before and really wasn't suspecting anything at the time. Right now I'm worried about seeing any payment since it's just weird to me that I was told one thing, the contract says something else, and the manager's constant changing stories about when I'll get paid.

My questions to the forum members here is:

a) has anyone experienced something like before and
b) for those of you doing legal transcription work what is the general payment policy of the company you work for? I'm not interested in payment amounts but rather times you get paid and the company's general payment philosophy. I don't even need names.
c) for those of you where payment was delayed or not done at all (I've seen that on this forum for some other companies and thank you so much to those of you did report that)
were you able to do something that successfully got them to pay you?

At this point I feel used and betrayed.I feel like going to the owner of the parent company and asking if they know their transcription manager is making promises that appear to be deceptive just to get the work done,but am not sure if I should do that first or wait the 30 days my contract states.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2012, 01:14 PM
WAHM Regular

Hi,

I sent you a PM.

Thank You
Old 04-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Banned

This sounds like these people.

Ripoff Report | ANP Transcriptions | Complaint Review: 812314

If it's not them, sorry for the error. Every once in a while people need to be reminded what a scam that company is.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:44 AM
WAHM Regular

Default RE: ANP Transcriptions

No, it's not ANP Transcriptions or any of its people. I applied with them once and then did a search and luckily found them coming up over and over as not paying their transcribers. Needless to say I didn't even start with them.

It's really infuriating when a company thinks they can jerk around the people that do the work that they get paid for on the assumption that as freelancers and independent contractors we're easy marks. The company I'm dealing with now is going to have a very public black eye if I have to persist in getting payment since I am done putting up with such tactics.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul3tt View Post
When I looked at the contract I signed with them and read it closely it says they pay every 30 days. I know, I should have queried her about that right then and there, but barely looked at it since I'd worked for them before and really wasn't suspecting anything at the time. Right now I'm worried about seeing any payment since it's just weird to me that I was told one thing, the contract says something else, and the manager's constant changing stories about when I'll get paid.

-----------------

At this point I feel used and betrayed.I feel like going to the owner of the parent company and asking if they know their transcription manager is making promises that appear to be deceptive just to get the work done,but am not sure if I should do that first or wait the 30 days my contract states.
Paul,

You do have a written contract which it will be presumed you have accepted. If the contract states 30 days, that's the time you should wait.

Equally, after that time, if there is something the transcription community should know about, then you should say so.

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:50 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Alba

Yesterday I consulted with an attorney and he said the same thing, wait the 30 days stated in the contract before taking further steps of a more serious nature. However, since I have two separate emails from the company stating they were paying me every two weeks he also stated that in the meantime I should continue to write them very nice emails asking them to please honor their original agreement, which is the two weeks that they also put in writing and I have documented. (I have saved every email, thankfully) So I'm doing that for now and keeping track of all correspondences and invoices in the meantime.

If it gets to a week past the 30 days, which the attorney and I agreed gives them time to cut checks and allows for mail delivery, then further actions will be taken and the transcription community will be given the name.

In all honesty, had the manager told me that payment was every 30 days after each job was completed and turned in from the very beginning I would not have had a problem with them. But I also would not have taken as much work as I did from them either. It is the changing stories that have me concerned that I was hired with them knowing one thing, but leading me to believe something else to get the work done quickly since they possibly have lost other transcribers through similar behavior.

Regardless we'll see what happens and I'll continue to consult the attorney on an as-needed basis.

Last edited by Paul3tt; 04-08-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Tags
deception, legal transcription, lie