Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:49 PM
WAHM Fanatic

You totally missed the whole point of what I was trying to get at.

It's not a matter of being thick-skinned or thin-skinned. It's a matter of helping, period!

All I was trying to say is, if we can't help people out and help them succeed without making them feel bad about asking for help, then that doesn't say very much about you, me or anyone else on this forum. I agree there is research to be done, but I also agree, this forum is help and not make people feel bad for asking for help.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Banned

I didn't miss your point. I think pointing out the importance of research is helping. If someone asks questions that can be easily answered with a little research, I don't think it's helpful to answer the questions and then say, "By the way, it's important to do research." Why do research if you don't have to, if someone is willing to answer all of your questions so as to appear helpful?

I'm all for helping people to get started in this profession, but I think it's important that they know what's involved before they begin, and knowing how to do research is a very important part of a successful transcription career.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Awesome WAHM

Again, I agree with SoccerMomx2. Susan you sound so hard core and in your face and not very warm and welcoming. That is just my perception and opinion. I try to help everyone I can just because that's the type of person I am and I also believe in paying it forward, so to speak. People here have been nice enough to help me when I've asked and I try to pass it on to the next person whenever I can.

I think this forum is an awesome place to come and lurk and read posts and do research. I don't think anyone doing work at home transcribing type work needs to be thick-skinned. If we were talking about cold calling sales then, yeah, you would need to be thick-skinned, but not for transcribing.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:34 AM
WAHM Regular

I have been transcribing for over a year with one company and almost 6 months with another and have thought about advertising myself through Craigslist or some similar forum. I am wondering if someone can help to advise me what would be the right way to showcase myself as a general transcriptionist. This would be my first time setting a rate and not just settling for whatever they'll pay. I am making fractions of a penny and feel like I have the know how and the ability to make more but am just wanting to be realistic. Thanks for any and all advice.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2abear View Post
I have been transcribing for over a year with one company and almost 6 months with another and have thought about advertising myself through Craigslist or some similar forum. I am wondering if someone can help to advise me what would be the right way to showcase myself as a general transcriptionist. This would be my first time setting a rate and not just settling for whatever they'll pay. I am making fractions of a penny and feel like I have the know how and the ability to make more but am just wanting to be realistic. Thanks for any and all advice.
I wouldn't post rates. I would advertise the types of transcription you have experience doing -- interviews, focus groups, teleconferences, verbatim, edited for clarity, whatever -- and then adjust your pricing for whatever responses you get. For example, graduate students are not going to be able to pay as much as a for-profit company, so you can penetrate both markets by not posting rates.

I would also have a pricing structure ready to go and pull out of it whatever the prospective client is looking for, rather than sending a list that they're going to have to study to figure out how much what they want is going to cost them. Is it single speaker? That will cost X. Is it a verbatim focus group? That will cost XX. They generally don't need (or want) to know what you charge for services they don't want.

When you're setting your rates, keep in mind what larger companies charge their clients. You are a one-person company and as long as you can deliver a quality product you don't have to charge significantly less than what larger companies charge.

Good luck.

Tags
advise, audio hour, earnings, software, transcribe