Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Registered WAHM

Has anyone heard about MT Advantage as a Medical Transcription school? I've looked at Career Step and other schools on the AHDI web site. I called the AHDI and spoke to a secretary there. She said MT advantage is not a member but she said a lot of MT schools have not joined with them simply because they haven't paid the fees involved with membership.

Now my question is, what do you know of MT Advantage and how does it stack up with other schools? Does it have a good reputation?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2008, 02:18 PM
WAHM Addict

Being listed as an AHDI-approved school is not the same as being an AHDI member. Any person and any school can become an AHDI member simply by paying dues. It's being "approved" by AHDI that is the important distinction when it comes to schools.

This is fromthe AHDI website, partially explaining the school approval process: "The following medical transcription programs have been approved by the Approval Committee for Certificate Programs (ACCP), a joint committee established by AHDI and AHIMA for certifying and approving medical transcription education programs." You can find more information about this process on the AHDI website as well.

I recommend to stick with AHDI-approved schools, especially the well-known ones,because MT employers recognize them and know what kind of training their students get. Other schools are hit and miss with employers.

There are other reasons to stick with AHDI-approved schools that I won't go into here.

Edited by: MTHome
Old 06-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Awesome WAHM

I agree with MTHome. I would narrow my choice to Career Step, Andrews, or M-Tec as those are popularly known as the "top 3".

Good luck!!!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:20 AM
WAHM Regular

MTHome and MT in Texas are right. You really need to stick with one of the AHDI approved schools. The top 3are the best if you are wanting to work from home.
Good luck !!
Old 06-07-2008, 01:57 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Where on the AHDI site can you see how their approved schools are ranked?
Old 06-07-2008, 02:59 PM
WAHM Regular

http://www.ahdionline.org/scriptcontent/mtapproved.cfm

Here is the link.

EnergyEyes

Old 06-07-2008, 03:10 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I have seen that list, it is in alphabetical order. I see so many arguments about the "Top 3" and " My school is better than your school."I was under the impression that AHDI musthave an area that listed those schools in order of "preference".
Old 06-07-2008, 03:16 PM
WAHM Fanatic

You could always call several MT companies and ask if they hire students from the schools that you are considering. The 'top 3' are often talked about because they are the schools that people consistently get employment after completing.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:24 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I was just curious. I already have a job that I will be starting after I complete my program. I just didn't understand what all the fuss was about. If all of the programs listed allow you to sit for the RMT exam and you pass it, I don't see what difference it makes where you went to school if you acquire that credential.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:31 PM
WAHM Addict

I was under the impression that AHDI musthave an area that listed those schools in order of "preference".

AHDI lists the schools in alphabetical order to avoid giving preference to any schools.

If all of the programs listed allow you to sit for the RMT exam and you pass it, I don't see what difference it makes where you went to school if you acquire that credential.

Of the roughly 98,000 MTs in the US, only 308 of them are RMTs at this time. Employers don't necessarily look for that qualification. They tend to hire graduates of the programs they're familiar with so they know what they're getting.