Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Registered WAHM

Hi, I'm new here. Is everyone on here a medical transcriptionist? I'm looking for work that I can do from the house but being an MT is more like being and MD with a Masters in punctuation! Can anyone help? I've been a freelance writer for more than 20 years and I can type. Thanks. Phoenix Rising
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2007, 07:50 AM
Registered WAHM

I'm looking for the BEST transcription software out there for transcribing audio formats (like mp3, etc).

Any suggestions?

Old 08-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Registered WAHM

Medical transcription is an 18 month course! They say you can get through it at 20 hours a week. Let me tell you....I was doing it at 30-40 hours a week and barely keeping up with the time line to graduate. I decided not to do it because basically, I did not have a freaking Masters Degree in grammar and punctuation! The rules change constantly about usage, and I could go on...it wasn't for me. I too needed to do something fast and trust me, this isn't it!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:58 AM
WAHM Regular

Thanks for all of the great tips everyone! It is so helpful.

Kaylee
www.letsgetoutofdebt.blogspot.com
Old 05-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Awesome WAHM

Thanks. Very helpful indeed.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:05 PM
WAHM Regular

I just got on at SpeakWrite back in June. I love it. My largest paycheck was $765 for two weeks. I am averaging up to $12 an hour. The staff there is so nice and the application process is fairly easy if you have any secretarial background at all. Unfortunately I don't think they are hiring right now but that could change any day. It is definitely worth checking out from time to time. I wish you luck in your search for at home work. If you haven't already, check out the SpeakWrite forum and look at all the "excited" folks there who work for SW. It's awesome.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Super WAHM

I haven't been in the Transcription folder in some time, so I just noticed this thread. I wanted to add to the first post about keyboard shortcuts and using them in Word. There are lots of keyboard shortcuts you can use in Word that are really helpful when transcribing. If you notice a typo only a word or two back (or while you're typing it), you can just push the arrow key back to the end of it, then hold down Shift+arrow to highlight the letters or words you want to change, copy, or cut.
Copy = ctrl+c
Paste= ctrl+v
Cut = ctrl+x
Underline = ctrl+u

I wrote an article with some helpful shortcuts and some links over at Bright Hub. Here's the link: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/h...les/10157.aspx

Old 11-04-2008, 02:37 AM
Super WAHM

The free software, ExpressScribe is a godsend to those of us newbies who don't have footpedals yet!
Old 11-30-2008, 12:10 PM
WAHM Regular

uhhhh...who says you have to have a masters degree in grammar and punctuation to do MT? i have a diploma in MT, did very well on the course but the school i went to is not accredited, therefore i wasnt able to find a job, but u dont need a masters degree of any sorts, just the drive and determination to learn and study and do your best to graduate...HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Rising
Medical transcription is an 18 month course! They say you can get through it at 20 hours a week. Let me tell you....I was doing it at 30-40 hours a week and barely keeping up with the time line to graduate. I decided not to do it because basically, I did not have a freaking Masters Degree in grammar and punctuation! The rules change constantly about usage, and I could go on...it wasn't for me. I too needed to do something fast and trust me, this isn't it!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Registered WAHM

Transcription Software tools:
<ul>[*]FREE Express Scribe Audio Playback Software[*]Fast Fox Typing Expander[*]TexTally Word Counter[/list]And of course it is always useful to use Foot Pedals to help you control the audio and still keep your hands free for typing.