WAHM Forums - WAHM.com

WAHM Forums - WAHM.com (https://www.wahm.com/forum/)
-   Tips for Saving Money (https://www.wahm.com/forum/tips-saving-money-47/)
-   -   Your Best Money Saving Tips (https://www.wahm.com/forum/tips-saving-money-47/718115-your-best-money-saving-tips.html)

cwvps 10-05-2015 01:30 AM

As a mom with two kids, I can say that you can really save some money if you borrow kids clothes from your friends with older kids and then you continue the chain by giving these clothes to some other parents when your kids grow out of these clothes.
We used to buy organic foods, now we try to buy only seasonal fruits and vegetables and we buy them from the local sources. Since we work from home, my husband and I don't spend a lot of money on our clothes. We also try to make some toys for our kids, we don't like to buy them.

Amyusb 10-07-2015 03:43 AM

These are great tips! Thanks for posting them.
One of the things I do and not sure if it's been mentioned is that I save all envelopes from mail I receive and sometime the marketing letters and the backs as note paper. I leave notes for my husband and also to write reminders to myself. I shred anything with our personal information on it though. It's amazing how much paper you can collect! I sometimes cut them to a square note. Sometimes I just tear them in half!:)

cwvps 10-19-2015 04:17 AM

Since we, as a family, spend the most of our money on groceries and on food, I suggest buying fruits and vegetables in season and from local sources. Also, we take baby and children clothes from our friends' children and then we pass these clothes further. This is something where we also save a lot of money.

carolchan 10-22-2015 07:33 PM

Has anyone herd of these books?

Rat Race Millionaire by Michael Hung

The Rat Race Millionaire-Pocket Handbook by Michael Hung

These books are available on Kindle from Amazon.com. What do y'all think?
Is it really possible to become a millionaire while in the "rat race"?

sallymandr 10-29-2015 06:59 PM

I certainly don't think that everyone who sets out to be a millionaire while working 9 - 5 will become one, but I don't think it is impossible.

It comes down to what you are willing to live without in order to save the maximum amount of money while you are working your booty off.

I haven't read that particular book but do know that if you budget right, invest, (compound interest), you will get there a lot sooner.

The thing with compound interest is if you work really hard to get the interest at a level you can live off of, everything you earn from your job from that point on will be 100% savings.

This is the key to building your wealth.

Now, someone may just be rather lucky in who they know and work their way up the proverbial ladder quicker - thus reaching a top position that actually pays that well.

Theshandalee 10-30-2015 05:19 PM

Saving money

The easiest way for me to save money as a work at home mom has been to keep my cash in the bank. Literally, anytime I break a bill or get change I drop it off at TD bank or Chase. It has helped me a lot!

ccorrente 10-31-2015 06:11 PM

I have found that I just don't need nearly as much stuff as I used to think I had to have. I am living simply and I just don't buy anything unless I absolutely need it or love it!!!

Sbojorquez1 11-10-2015 05:05 PM

Automate!

My best money saving to is to automate as much as possible! I automatically save money out of my pay check and pay my bills automatically so I don't miss a sure date and get a late fee! I also set automatic checkup appointments with the doctor and dentist every 6 months for checkups and cleanings (an ounce of prevention and all that!)

Sfs78 11-29-2015 04:58 PM

That's why I love Bank of America's Keep the change. They automatically place the cents rounding up to the next dollar in my savings account! It does add up!

Angel777 01-07-2016 12:59 PM

Cash Back Sites

I save by ordering my household supplies (even Pet food) Online. I do this threw a couple of different cash back sites depending who's giving the most back. I was able to do all my Christmas shopping the past year with money that I had saved through the year. Plus, I did not use gas money so I saved more ways then one...LOL

AllieRambles 03-27-2016 04:11 PM

Plan ahead and don't buy what you....

I am pretty frugal. And with my recent drop in hours at work, i really need to cut back.

1. I try to plan ahead. I plan grocery shopping with a list and stick to it. Plan vacations with most meals "eat in" like sandwiches and cereal we make. Plan any shopping trips with lists and don't divert.

2. I really do try to buy only what I need to survive. Ok, I know this is impossible. So splurge but buy good quality and buy something you know you will continue to enjoy for a while, not something that will not be of interest tomorrow.

Cheers!
~Allison

regina42 03-31-2016 02:37 PM

I love Dollar Tree!
I buy most of my hair products and lotions there.

clg671 04-04-2016 02:51 AM

Get organized to save money

1. Automate your savings
2. Use price-comparison apps
3. Slice and dice your bills
4. Keep goals front and center
5. Use browser extensions to save money
6. Set reminders to check your budget
7. Streamline electronically to save money
8. Bookmarks sites to save money on cooking
9. Take advantage of bill averaging
10. Avoid temptations
11. Set an amount for a 'cash cushion'

Lori786 04-05-2016 09:40 PM

Nice tips, everyone :) Every tip helps. It's surprising how much you can actually save if you really put your mind to it and work to a plan. I would encourage everyone to do that, instead of just going with the heart.

jay42 04-12-2016 04:43 PM

Well shop online as much as you can. I have found that I save around 20% when I do. I find deals and I deal with the waiting. It is easy and cheaper and most places offer free shipping when you spend so much so it makes it even more worth it.

IPW 04-18-2016 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariaThompson (Post 3172314)
I love Dollar Tree!

My Top 10 Tips for Saving Money:

1. Turn off TV & lights when not needed;
2. Only heat the rooms you use;
3. Find offers, coupons, discounts for almost everything I purchase;
4. If I'm considering a big purchase, I wait 2 weeks to decide if I want it.
5. Write lists before going shopping;
6. Repair stuff instead of buying new;
7. Ask for reduced rates from credit card company;
8. Eat less snack foods;
9. Don't drink or smoke;
10. Swap books and music with my friends.

:)

Would consider using some of those tips.

Laurie S 04-26-2016 06:09 AM

Pay yourself first

Too many people forget to save money. They spend what they earn, living paycheck to paycheck.

Try automatically transferring money into some sort of savings. e.g. $50 a month, $100 a month, or whatever you can afford. That money will be out of sight and out of mind. Then be frugal and live on the rest.

The Wealthy Barber book talks about a barber who didn't earn a lot who made it a point of always saving 10% of his earnings. It took time, but he eventually became a millionaire.

Being wealthy isn't the same as being rich. Being wealthy means asking yourself how long you could survive if you lost your job etc. So it means keeping expenses down and having assets/savings.

Some people earn a lot more than others, but then they buy a big house which means that they have a big mortgage and big taxes and big utility bills and they need to furnish that big house, etc etc. And then they struggle to buy anything else, even including groceries. So they are technically "rich' but not as wealthy as someone who earn less, but is frugal and pays themself first by saving money.

premieritzone 05-02-2016 11:01 PM

i use saving account to save money, also i pay bill with coupons,

bchandler29 05-04-2016 08:32 PM

I've heard really good things from friends who use YNAB - You Need a Budget app.
I also recommend reading the 4 Laws of Financial Prosperity and also the book 4 Spiritual Laws of Prosperity. Happy Budgeting!!

Suzanne-SB 05-05-2016 08:59 AM

Good tips, I like your list :)

Suzanne-SB 05-05-2016 09:00 AM

Thanks for the recommendations I will check out those books you mentioned.

FrugalDad03 05-22-2016 12:03 PM

Tip From Frugal Dad

My tip is to shop smart. Know exactly what you need. Check for best prices but always try to get free shipping.

Keys:
Coupon Codes- Use retailmenot.com Just a fantastic site.
In conjunction with coupon codes.. also go to Gift Card Granny.

Gift Card granny you can get discounted gift cards.

In the past i have saved 45% and gotten free shipping.

25% savings with coupon codes.
20% savings with discounted gift card.

In addition, I was able to put on interest free credit card that I immediately paid down.

Fantastic idea and I do this occasionally.

Greys0n 05-27-2016 02:43 AM

set budget, take home food to office, visit less bars, use discounts

regina42 05-27-2016 06:43 AM

I love Dollar Tree too. Coupons and finding things on sale to save.

leapsponge 06-14-2016 05:25 PM

I always check out for discounts and coupons especially in groceries.

bumphead 06-16-2016 09:37 AM

Well, I am gonna agree with discounts and coupons. It helps a lot.

MothersWhoLaunch 06-23-2016 12:49 PM

We spend a lot on travel - but not much else. We work remotely so are taking the kiddos to Mexico for a month. We picked a place that's in its off-season with cheap rentals, saved airline miles and stuck to a budget

I create additional income when we're splurging. Luckily I love what I do as a freelance writer and social media consultant. :-)

Mastermind10 06-30-2016 10:27 AM

Cheap Bank

Immediately keep your money in the bank account when you get it. Before someone rob you.

Lilyb 07-05-2016 07:58 AM

Scrap the gym membership, exercise in the park or follow YouTube classes. Get a free or cheap haircut by going to an academy or college instead of a fancy salon. ;)

MellyT 08-03-2016 07:23 AM

I use an app on my phone that allows me to make budgets and set reminders etc. It is really useful and has helped me to save quite a lot. There are loads out there.

It also tracks your savings and I think that is a big part of why it helped me. Its really encouraging to see that graph go up.

I was always totally useless at saving before this and, sadly, unlike the OP I do have a taste for expensive handbags....

nt3zone 08-05-2016 09:41 PM

shop around and look for the best deal then find coupons to save even more.

Lori786 08-09-2016 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellyT (Post 3279801)
I use an app on my phone that allows me to make budgets and set reminders etc. It is really useful and has helped me to save quite a lot. There are loads out there.

It also tracks your savings and I think that is a big part of why it helped me. Its really encouraging to see that graph go up.

I was always totally useless at saving before this and, sadly, unlike the OP I do have a taste for expensive handbags....

I have something similar too and it does help quite a lot. Also, always checking for discount coupons is a must to maximize your savings potential. And oh, I share your taste in expensive handbags though I should really cut down on my taste for them :)

trisha57 09-14-2016 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valcreates (Post 3170506)
I don't consider myself super frugal
My husband and I saved early on. I am not into pricey purses or expensive shoes.
I like books, tech stuff, art, doing nice things from my family.

Get rid of basic cable and cable TV
Netflix, DVDS, are all cheaper.

Dollar tree
Great place for perfume, cheap make up, and household goods. I only go to dollar tree every few months because I can over do it. I don't

Budget movie theaters. If you don't mind seeing it later these can be fun and cheap.

Make friends with your library

Great tips! ! We cancelled cable and use the roku bar and Netflix. Don't even miss cable!!

MrsMav2011 09-20-2016 06:37 PM

We do our best to save money without jeopardizing our health. We've started doing most of our grocery shopping at Aldi, and that alone cut our grocery bill in half! For more specialty items like protein powder and green cleaners we buy from an online wellness company.

enriquegill012 09-22-2016 12:36 AM

It's pretty hard to save money to be honest but I try really hard to do that so every pay day I usually keep 20% of my money in the bank.

ILoveHealthyHair 10-04-2016 01:20 PM

If you have a Kindle, Amazon has TONS of free books you can download.

sneff3 10-21-2016 08:14 PM

Any couponers? I would love to learn how to coupon like some of these ladies do!

Fossy 10-25-2016 06:29 AM

The only way I can successfully save money is by transferring some into a separate account that is not easily accessible...

SamanthaClarck 11-22-2016 04:09 AM

a lot of shopping is a bad idea

joshk 11-22-2016 01:50 PM

For those that like to eat at restaurants, I recommend downloading an app called Servy. It allows diners to leave private feedback to restaurants, and get a partial reimbursement in exchange. The app only works in NYC, DC, Philly, Chicago and Boston.