Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:01 AM
Registered WAHM

I tend to buy in off-season to save money. Using coupons is also a tried and test method which is very useful.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2014, 05:18 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Groupon

The Groupon app is great for saving $$ !
Old 01-08-2014, 09:33 AM
WAHM Regular

I love the ideas on this thread

Some that came to mind for me:

Drive slower and don't accelerate and brake quickly, this will increase your gas mileage. I live in a rural state and have to drive almost everywhere. We also traded in a gas guzzling van for an economical Camry. We do have a van now but it's not the main car we drive.

Turn the thermostat down, wear my clothes inside to keep warm.

Cook more vegetarian meals, one or two nights a week go meatless.

My husband and I were spending a lot at Starbucks, etc. So we bought our own bottle of Hazlenut syrup and a french press, make the coffee really strong and make our lattes. We also found a cheap espress maker at a thrift shop for $5 that steams the milk. We still go to coffee shops, just not as much
Old 01-14-2014, 03:56 PM
WAHM Regular

Smile

Plan meals out based on sales and combine coupons as much as you can with sale items to really save $$
Old 01-17-2014, 02:06 PM
Registered WAHM

Pay cash for everything (You tend to spend less when you pay cash, because it hurts more to part with cash than swiping a card)

Don't finance anything (Except for your house if you must). Why pay someone money for the privilege of borrowing? Just don't buy something until you have the cash to pay for it
Re-do your W-2 forms so that you won't get such a large return at the end of the year. Yes, you heard me right. Why let the government borrow your money all year interest free? Less of a refund of the end of the year will give you more money on each payday, which in turn, you can put in a bank account that will EARN you interest.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:03 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Saving

Compare prices. Do you really need that name brand can of pasta sauce? Or will a cheaper store brand work instead? I save a lot of money by just comparing prices of different brands before making any purchases.

Grow your own garden! Why pay $1 for a single ear of corn when you can pay $.50 for a packet of seeds?

Conserve your electricity and water. If you use a dishwasher, make sure it's full before starting it up; same with your clothes washer. If you have the option and the weather is nice, hang clothes out on a line to dry instead of using the dryer. Doing this with that big comforter that takes up all the dryer space on its own is a great energy saver.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:09 PM
Registered WAHM

The money saving tips offered in the responses to this post are amazing! Thank you for sharing everyone! =)
Old 01-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Awesome WAHM

Did you know that you can use coupons at The Dollar Tree? I have gotten my daughters Progresso Minestrone soup for $.75 a can that way. Do check out their site for a full disclosure of their coupon policy.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:07 AM
WAHM Regular

Default My Four Best

1) Make all of your own cleaning supplies: you'll be richer and healthier! There are so many recipes for DIY homemade laundry soap, cleaning spray, window cleaner, etc. on the internet and IMHO they do a better job than the commercial, chemical filled ones. Nice thing is, you only need 2-3 ingredients per cleaner.
2) Cut down (way down) on your meat consumption. Meat is the single most expensive grocery item we consume, and our bodies do not need meat every night of the week. Find high protein substitutes on the 'net, they are everywhere.
3) Make your own gifts. I have found loved ones and friends really appreciate a handmade gift from you rather than an expensive, store bought gift. Nothing says "from the heart" more than a gift YOU took the time and love-filled energy to make for them. Trust me, they will appreciate it! And, you will save tons of money.
4) Always shop the "after holiday sales". Goods are typically 75% - 90% off AFTER the holidays. Great time to stock up on lights, decorations, gift wrap, candles, etc.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Registered WAHM

I use coupons, I borrow books from local library, I follow some money saving and freebies blog.

Closed Thread

Tags
budget, cheap, zazzle