Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Saving Money > Tips for Saving Money

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Registered WAHM

Default sure

I am also fan of basic phones. Less functions - they last longer,well that was always the rule in my case at least.
And you are free to give it to your baby to play with (then it wont last that long )
Old 04-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaMagma View Post
I am also fan of basic phones. Less functions - they last longer,well that was always the rule in my case at least.
And you are free to give it to your baby to play with (then it wont last that long )
Lol. My last two went to my toddler and my husband's Droid when he upgraded. She actually broke his new phone, but the others are still going strong... holding up to a toddler and all.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:29 AM
WAHM Regular

I have an LG Esteem with Metro PCS.. and although it's the best phone they have and I only pay $55 mth for unlimited everything + insurance + 2gb of 4G which I rarely use, it still doesn't change the fact that they have crappy service overall... I worked at Metro PCS and still think they're mediocre. I love my esteem, besides the occasional lag which is normal with smartphones.... It's a pretty nice phone. But my problem is how horrible their reception is. At home, being in a 4G zone, I constantly get complaints that they can barely hear me or I'm cutting off..Constantly have texts arrive late, or never... Very annoying when your cell phone is your only source of communication.

Then trying to register for Craigslist I find out that they blacklist Metro PCS #'s, and by the way we all have Metro at home, my mom got in on their 4/$100 deal.. so guess what no Home phone 'cause everyone's covered with a celly.. just my luck right?

The last straw was finding out that Metro PCS has blocked certain #'s from being dialed, so when I tried calling in on a Conference call for Xpress I get a message telling me I need a calling card to reach that #.. how ridiculous.

So long rant and all, really considering switching... but only 2 phones I'm interested in are either the IPhone 4s or the Samsung Galaxy Note. Such a huge diff though going from $55 a month to whatever those 2 would cost.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flourish View Post
To me it really depends on what the phone is used for. If you're a person that only uses the phone for conversations and text messages why not just use a cheap and basic flip phone?

However there are some of us that really need smart phones. Some of us may just be addicted to the games However I need my smart phone for my job. It can be a life saver at times.
I would be one of those that just need a basic phone. Acutually, being mainly retired; I only use it for emergencies. My tracfone was just updated to a camera phone, though I don't use that or texting much. I thought I might needed it for mystery shopping assignments. My yearly cost is about $100; and I have accumulated 1200 minutes.I only buy the prepaid cards for the yearly contract and minutes are doubled, if I need to purchase anymore. Being on a fixed income; I can't make myself pay a monthly fee
Old 05-12-2012, 05:45 AM
WAHM Regular

Until my son started driving last year I had basic phone with our local carrier and paid way too much. We don't have too many options where I live and found that I needed to text him often to keep track of where he was. After researching quite a bit I switched to Net 10 for $25/month with 750 minutes that included talk, text, web. When I recently started my business I did switch to $50 unlimited plan. So far I am happy with phone service with Net 10. When my son goes to college my husband has declared finally that he will need one. I plan on buying him a Net 10 phone/plan with even a cheaper option.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:20 PM
WAHM Regular

Curious if anyone uses Straight Talk - do you like it...is the savings really worth it - haven't really talked to anyone about it to see if we want to switch to it or not.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:09 AM
Registered WAHM

I heard some information about it.Thanks for the advices!Cheers!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:49 PM
WAHM Regular

Default I enjoy my Android

And it's no contract through Straight Talk. I found it through Consumer Reports.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:42 PM
Registered WAHM

I have not bought a phone for a long time. My friend gave me his old phone samsung. The phone was in good condition, but the speaker did not work there. I found an inexpensive center for repairing mobile phones https://misterfix.us/. For 2 years now I have been using this phone. I've seen many suggestions from people who give their gadgets for free with minor breakages. This is a good way to save money.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:13 PM
WAHM Regular

My dad uses Straight Talk and he likes it since he doesn't have a contract, and he says he gets service as good as he did with his Verizon in his area.