Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:10 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Got Rid of Cable/Satellite

I read a Yahoo article about getting rid of your cable bill so I finally took the leap a few months ago and cancelled Directv. That saved me over $100/month. My kids (and I have 5 kids - ages 11, 9, 7, 5, 2) had a panic but they're ok!

I watch TV on hulu.com and other network websites. Most networks post their shows next day. One of my favorite shows House is on Fox and they post 8 days after the air date (and of course, local channels are free anyway - you just may need to buy a digital converter). Other than that, I am able to watch my cable TV shows the day after they air.

I subscribed to Netflix for the movies -- it's only $8+ per month. We enjoy watching the instant movies on our computer. We have a Wii that you can apparently use to hook up your PC/netbook to your TV but I haven't tried that out yet.

We have a desktop and a couple netbooks and 1 laptop so it works for us. Best of all, my kids are reading more and have more imaginative play. It was all around a good decision for us.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Super WAHM

Direct Tv is costly for sure.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen View Post
I read a Yahoo article about getting rid of your cable bill so I finally took the leap a few months ago and cancelled Directv. That saved me over $100/month. My kids (and I have 5 kids - ages 11, 9, 7, 5, 2) had a panic but they're ok!

I watch TV on hulu.com and other network websites. Most networks post their shows next day. One of my favorite shows House is on Fox and they post 8 days after the air date (and of course, local channels are free anyway - you just may need to buy a digital converter). Other than that, I am able to watch my cable TV shows the day after they air.

I subscribed to Netflix for the movies -- it's only $8+ per month. We enjoy watching the instant movies on our computer. We have a Wii that you can apparently use to hook up your PC/netbook to your TV but I haven't tried that out yet.

We have a desktop and a couple netbooks and 1 laptop so it works for us. Best of all, my kids are reading more and have more imaginative play. It was all around a good decision for us.
My husband and I did the same thing. We watch network TV, Hulu, and Netflix. We have not missed it at all. If you have a Wii, Xbox 360 or PS3, I would recommend checking out PlayOn. It allows you to stream Hulu and other websites' video content to your TV. This is what we use and it's really nice because we can watch Hulu on our big TV instead of huddling up together in front of the laptop, lol.

PS: I am NOT affiliate with PlayOn in any way, I just enjoy the product and wanted to pass along some information about it.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Awesome WAHM

Default I'd like to get rid of that bill, but...

I don't get any regular tv signals where I live, not one. So it makes it hard. I guess I don'
t know enough about all those other places online that you can watch shows.
Renee
Old 11-02-2010, 01:38 PM
WAHM Regular

We haven't missed it one day. Even when my husband goes over to my mother-in-laws, he finds himself watching TV on the internet instead of her TV.

I will surely have to try hooking my netbook up to the TV through our Wii. I know it can be done but haven't tackled it just yet.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:35 AM
WAHM Regular

We had Comcast running us $180 per month for there triple package and there internet sucked. So we switched to Direct TV which is cheaper because we have it bundled with our cell phones and the internet is way better in our area.

I wouldn't mind dropping Direct TV and going with internet TV sometime though I need to try it out first.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:16 PM
WAHM Regular

We still have cable since my husband and I love watching Law & Order CI and the original. I've have basic phone service through them too. The second line is good since I use the other line for work.

For my job I was required to carry my employer's phone and Internet. I was finally able to lower my bill and still meet my requirements.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:56 PM
WAHM Regular

I cut my tv off months ago and put up a regular antenna. If you go to antennaweb.org it tells you what you can get by your GPS location. All my local channels (CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, ABC, CW) all came with the antenna. I netflix and use project free tv online.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:03 PM
WAHM Regular

We got rid of cable when we switched to DSL internet in January of this year and subscribed to Netflix in its place. We have a ps3 and do the instant stream to that and my laptop, and get the discs for those shows that are DVD only. I soooo love Netflix. I'm considering getting a digital converter because I miss the local news but I'm not even sure on that right now.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:31 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by callahancn View Post
We got rid of cable when we switched to DSL internet in January of this year and subscribed to Netflix in its place. We have a ps3 and do the instant stream to that and my laptop, and get the discs for those shows that are DVD only. I soooo love Netflix. I'm considering getting a digital converter because I miss the local news but I'm not even sure on that right now.
How old is your TV? Ours has the converter built in to it. We also have the box but it was just an extra cord..we found out that we didn't even need it...