Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:22 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Isn't Goodwill for Poor people?

I went out to dinner with some girlfriends. I happened to be wearing a pair of pants with a cute print that I had gotten at Goodwill for just a few dollars. When I said where I bought them, one of my more wealthy friends said, "Goodwill is for poor people."

Well, I wouldn't call myself "poor". I'm not as well off as she is. I have no problem wearing second-hand clothes. I enjoy going to yard sales, consignment sales, etc.

I do think that some people dump their junk at Goodwill, but you can actually find some really nice items there. Don't you think?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2009, 08:47 PM
WAHM Addict

i love thrift stores.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:33 PM
WAHM Regular

I've never personally shopped there, but I have friends that do. Your "rich" friend would have some shock from The Millionaire Next Door.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Registered WAHM

I love Goodwill, the DAV & thrift stores also. Especially with 4 kids. You can find some really good stuff sometimes.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Awesome WAHM

I've been a fan of goodwill, thrift stores, 2nd hand stores, and garage sales all my life. I've had "rich" times and not so rich times. But the truth is, anyone shopping at goodwill actually is good for good will as they employ people who might not otherwise have jobs.

I think what your friend said was rude.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Super WAHM

That was a rude comment. I shopped Goodwill when I wasn't poor, and I appreciate it even more now that I am! lol.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:08 PM
WAHM Regular

I love love love shopping at thrift stores! There's a lot of junk, but if you sift through it you can find unique or vintage pieces. I think a lot of people are just turned off by the stereotype that everything you find there is dirty, unwanted trash.

If it bothers you that she has these opinions, simply don't tell your friends where you get your clothes. They'll never know! You could also try talking to her about how judgmental she is being and explain that Good Will is actually a very clean, well maintained business (at least - the one near me is). You could even try taking her with you the next time she goes. Maybe once she sees that it's not a junkyard she'll change her mind.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:56 AM
WAHM Addict

I have a girlfriend that feels this way too, and if she wants to spend 30 bucks on a shirt, and 50 bucks on a pair of pants, that is her choice.

I have much better luck shopping at the Goodwill then I do at a regular store. Everything is sorted by size, and then colour. And you can't beat the prices!

If Goodwill was just for "poor" people, you would have to show your tax slips or something to get in. i'm of the opinion that all cash is good, no matter who is behind it.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Registered WAHM

I don't consider myself poor and I shop at Goodwill weekly. Sometimes I don't find anything but junk, but most of the time I luck up and find some great things. Most of my clothing comes from Goodwill. I don't feel like spending $30 on a pair of jeans, when I can go to Goodwill and buy them for $4. All of the clothes I have bought from Goodwill are brand names, like Abercrombie, American Eagle, Polo, Liz Claiborne etc. And I have even found a couple of Louis Vuitton pocketbooks there too! I just bought a brand new pair of Timberland boots there for $3 ! I love shopping at the Goodwill, b/c you never know what you are going to find. My friends compliment my clothes all the time and I say "got my whole outfit for $10 at the Goodwill. They just look at me like HUH?? Goodwill is definately not for poor people. With the economy the way it is, Goodwill is for SMART people.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:38 AM
WAHM Regular

You are right, mrenee. Goodwill IS for smart people! Being frugal is becoming more and more popular these days. Maybe the friend who made the comment about Goodwill being for poor people should think before she speaks. Such haughtiness is not an attractive trait!