Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-04-2005, 08:12 AM
WAHM Regular

Are you using a foot pedal? Were they mumblers?

There's quite a few shortcut programs out there, and Word's autocorrect
feature and save you quite a bit of time. Once you know the number of
speakers you can quickly set up a template that makes it a lot easier.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2005, 08:34 AM
WAHM Regular

Hey, just received my two test files and can u belive it I'm having problems already. THey sent them in MP3 format and for some reason when I try to load into Express Scribe they never show up in the file I have them saved under. Do I need to change them to WAV files or somthing? HELP ME!!
Old 08-04-2005, 08:54 AM
WAHM Regular

Make a new folder and save the test files in there. Then you
should be able to open up Express Scribe, go to load--browse
folders--and it should show up and able to start via your foot pedal.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Lou

HELP!I'm in desperate need of some advice from those of you who have been with Escriptionist.com for a little while already (at least anyone who's transcribed more than one audio file for them) ... HOLY COW, I feel completely inadequate! I just finished my first job for them, and it was a 75-minute audio file. It was only two speakers, and it took me forever to get through that monster! Is 75 minutes about average for the files they send, or are they usually less? Never thought in a million years that it would take me almost the entire three days to finish it! [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Any comments would be MOST appreciated. Thanks in advance [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Their audio quality varies widely. If you get something that's truly horrific, you can request a pay increase. Also, you can specify the number of audio minutes you wish to receive. I've gotten files as short as a single minute. They can usually come pretty close to whatever you request.

I'd say 75 minutes of audio would take me anywhere from 5 to 7 hours depending on the quality of the audio and my ability to focus at that present moment. My kids interrupt me a lot, so it's hard to figure exactly how long any given file takes me. But that's what I like about transcription. It's flexible enough that I can go take care of their needs and then get back to work without it being too much of a hassle.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:03 AM
WAHM Regular

Hi MQ42,

I don't really know much about this stuff but when I downloaded some church sermons to practice on Express Scribe they wouldn't download. I can't remember exactly where but I'm one who fiddles around and I went into one place on Express Scribe and I clicked on MP3, then the sermons which were in MP3 were fine. If I can remember where I'll post again but have a look around Express Scribe.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:46 AM
WAHM Regular

Thanks johmac1 and Montyna, did a bit of fiddling around and got the files loaded!!
Old 08-04-2005, 11:59 AM
WAHM Regular

Another question.. the following is taken from the transcript format document sent to me by ecriptionist.com. Iassume this doesn't apply for the test files but can anyone tell mewhat exactly they're asking for here??
When you get the file, listen to the audio and email us the time of the file before you start working on it. This is to ensure that we have the same length on each end. If we find out the length after you've transcribed it and it's different, then we have a mess on our hands.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:07 PM
WAHM Regular

I think that involves the acutal work files, not the test documents.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:53 PM
WAHM Regular

3under3 and Montyna ....

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Wow, you sure made me feel better. That's just what I needed to hear to get my confidence back in line! Feeling like I'm more on track now [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] Still waiting for my foot pedal to be delivered, so having that will help a lot.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:19 PM
WAHM Regular

I was readin what the company is about through the post that are here on the message boards but could someone jsut break it down to me please and tell me what the company is and what you have to do and also is there any start up fees? Thank you[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]