Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:12 PM
WAHM Regular

Talking Jobs for the Disabled On SSDI or SSI Benefits (Free Federal Program)

Hello all,

I hope this finds you all doing well and staying safe during these challenging times!

I have posted here many times in the past. One of my first posts was back in 2011 (time flies!) and it is now a sticky note in the Telecommuting section called "Jobs for People With Disabilities."

Thank you admins for keeping the story up for so many years! Thank you to the many on here who read that post (77K since 2011.) I logged in today and I am truly humbled and hope between 2011 and now that my story and any information I shared has helped others gain knowledge about employment help for people with disabilities.

My Story: I am just an average girl from the Midwest! I still have the same 'invisible' disability that I have had since I was a child. I suffer from Generalized Anxiety, Depression, OCD and Panic. It has affected my life in many ways and made things much harder and more challenging over the years. I hope in some way by sharing my story or pieces of it, it can help someone out there who may feel lost or hopeless. I know the pandemic can make many of our struggles harder.

Since my 2011 post, I have used the free Ticket to Work Program and its services and incentives across several years to become self sufficient and find a career. I was on SSDI starting back in 2005 and went on disability at the age of 27. It was so hard and not something I could have ever planned for. However, through this journey, I was led to information from a friend on a forum (just like this one) that told me about Work at Home jobs for those on SSDI or SSI. That one post changed my life!​​​​​​​

Most likely you (or someone you know) knows someone that receives SSDI or SSI disability. This information may help them!

TIP: Many citizens do not realize there is a FREE Federal Work Program sponsored by Social Security to help those on SSDI or SSI (ages 18-64) return to the workforce and receive free employment services from professional authorized agencies. It is called Ticket to Work and was Congress passed it in the early 2000's.

These agencies can provide a variety of free services including but not limited to -- resume assistance, help with gaps in employment, interview practice, finding suitable job leads, benefits guidance and tracking, careeradvancement, accommodation assistance and more!

I used this free program myself and it has been life changing. No matter what a person's story is or how their journey in the program ends up, the program allows someone on SSDI or SSI the chance to 'try' to return to work again gradually 'if' they want to and test the waters and see how it goes. I can honestly say I would not be where I am today without the free program's help, work incentives, and safety nets and working with an employment network. All the myths I heard or was told I learned were not true.

As my previous posts noted, the Ticket to Work Program truly changed my life and my family's life!I had given up hope honestly - but felt in my heart that even though I had some gaps in employment and had been sick and struggle- that I did have skills that surely some company could utilize once I started feeling stronger. Remember, Never give up!

================================================== =========================
If you receive SSDI or SSI and are looking for Work At Home,visitthe link below to learn about all of the free services that the employment network I work for offers in the Ticket to Work program. I was a client for years and now I work to help educate and get the word out to others who receive SSDI or SSI. You do not have to go about returning to work alone!

​​​​​​​=========================================== ================================

Going back to work again after being on disability benefits can be scary to say the least.I was terrified! But the program guided me step by step and let me try. It is completely voluntary so you choose if or when you want to try it -but you do not have to. As not everyone is able to work.

The key is finding the agency in the program that is best for you. The company I advocate for and that helped me might be able to help you too, or you may be better served by another agency in Ticket to Work. There are hundreds nationwide who offer different free services. Some are 'in person' offices and many like our company are virtual and require no face to face meetings which is perfect during COVID.

There are many myths online that are inaccurate about the free program and about working while on benefits. Example: "You will lose your Medicare/Medicaid and disability benefits if you start working :-- false! You will lose your health insurance - false! I have been off SSDI benefits for about 4 years and because of the program I was able to keep Medicare for over 7+ years because of it being a safety net and my employer didn't offer insurance. It is best to get your facts from an authorized agency or the program itself and not just family or friends. I would be happy to answer questions or refer you to the right place or provide other resources by email. I feel we all have to stick together and help each other!!!

WORK AT HOME: Many of the Work At Home positions we place clients have mainly been Customer service or Tech support based with opportunities to specialize in: Billing & Coding; Information Technology; Nursing; Case Management; Concierges; Sales; Reservations; Travel, some Clerical & more.

The Work At Home industry however is changing every month especially since the pandemic. We continue to see more and more specialties and new job opportunities in new areas and levels. We partner with W2 leaders in the Work at Home industry and have long standing relationships because they love to hire our loyal and diverse clients!

**HOW TO LEARN MORE/APPLY FOR FREE SERVICES:***
If you are on SSDI/SSI (ages 18-64) and would like to see if we can help you with Work at Home, follow this link: https://www.myemploymentoptions.com/apply-now/.

Shieka Jones will call you about your application within 2 business days to review it with you. There are hundreds of other agencies in this great program besides ours, so if our staff determines we might not be the best fit for your goals, we will offer you other resources! Being with the right agency is key even if it is not ours.

You can check out my SSA story to validate that I am 'real' and the program is real!'
https://choosework.ssa.gov/library/lori-success-story

Thanks for reading! I am an open book so if you have any questions, feel free to email me to chat privately at [email protected], post here/private message.You can mention my name and that you saw my story on WAHM.com.

I know this year is a challenging time for many including myself. The Ticket to Work Program has been going strong all year and continues to helps thousands of people in every state every year return to work and be successful. The goal is not to find someone just any job, it is to help them find a career or at least give them the chance to try working even if they can't keep working. The program gives you the chance to try!

For those of you who read this far, THANK YOU! If you are 'Not' on SSDI or SSI benefits, you wouldn't qualify for our jobs because of program rules. However, we love to help so you can email us at @ [email protected] for a full list of other job resources.

I would also be happy to email a list of Work at Home resources we put together. We also host free (open to the public) Online Job fairs and Webinars throughout each year that anyone can attend! Our next webinar is Thurs. Nov. 19th.

I wish you all the very best! Please stay safe, be kind, and thank you so much for taking the time to read my post!

Sincerely,

Lori Adler
Ticket to Work Program Participant/Success Story
MyEmploymentOptions

#bekind #helpeachother #knowledgeispower
Sponsored Links

Tags
disability, disabled, ssdi, ssi, telecommute