Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:07 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Writing from home

As a single parent raising a child with learning disabilities; writing article from home would allow me time to tend to my son and put food on the table. Any recommendations as to what subject matter pays the most?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Grand WAHM

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but the writing area that pays the most is probably Technical Writing. I have read that Technical Writing is a growing work at home field.

Article writing is tougher than it used to be. The Google updates (Panda and Penguin) hit the article sites and content mills pretty hard. Unfortunately, that made it tougher for a lot of article writers to make money when these sites dropped in the rankings.

There is a good writing section on this forum:

Writing: Freelancing - WAHM Forums - WAHM.com

and you can check out other freelancing sites like Upwork.

https://www.upwork.com/cat/writing/
Old 06-24-2015, 12:24 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danasurvey View Post
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but the writing area that pays the most is probably Technical Writing. I have read that Technical Writing is a growing work at home field.

Article writing is tougher than it used to be. The Google updates (Panda and Penguin) hit the article sites and content mills pretty hard. Unfortunately, that made it tougher for a lot of article writers to make money when these sites dropped in the rankings.

There is a good writing section on this forum:

Writing: Freelancing - WAHM Forums - WAHM.com

and you can check out other freelancing sites like Upwork.

https://www.upwork.com/cat/writing/
Thank you so much for those!
Old 07-11-2015, 10:15 AM
Awesome WAHM

I was just looking for a post like this!! I, too, am a stay at home mom and I have two kiddos - one of which has many medical issues/developmental delays that requires a lot of attention and many medical and therapy appointments. I've been trying to find something else I can do from home online like writing to be able to bring in some more money to help out with bills and extra costs. Thanks for posting!
Old 07-20-2015, 12:43 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Writing from home

Transcription writing, copywriting and product description are some of the positions that are highly required too.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:18 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsathome View Post
As a single parent raising a child with learning disabilities; writing article from home would allow me time to tend to my son and put food on the table. Any recommendations as to what subject matter pays the most?
I have a SN child as well. I also write from home FT. I can't say there's any one area for me that pays more than another. I started off at $10 an article or so (500 - 700 words), but now mostly work hourly for my clients and end up making more money.

If you're not opposed to writing term papers, etc...then look into academic writing. I've made as much as $150 for less than two paragraphs. It's not for the faint of heart. It's a lot of last minute stuff (hence why my fee is often so high) and you do get a lot of people who will criticize you for it. But, those people don't pay your bills...so....

I would advise you to check out Upwork for writing work. That's where I get most of mine.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:20 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Bull View Post
If you're not opposed to writing term papers, etc...then look into academic writing. I've made as much as $150 for less than two paragraphs. It's not for the faint of heart. It's a lot of last minute stuff (hence why my fee is often so high) and you do get a lot of people who will criticize you for it. But, those people don't pay your bills...so....
Not too sure this is a great recommendation. While yes, there's a market for this type of work, it's frowned upon and will get the student kicked out of school if they get caught.

I realize that me saying that plays into your "get a lot of people who will criticize you for it" comment, but it's not really a point up for debate. If the student gets caught, they get expelled. You're not legally responsible for that (yet) but you're still contributing to someone cheating and otherwise diluting the educational experience for themselves and everyone around them.

Academic editing, on the other hand, can be somewhat lucrative if you can get the right connections. Plus, it's not frowned upon (either morally or from the perspective of an educational establishment)!
Old 08-07-2015, 09:28 AM
Super WAHM

for me i think that would be copywriting.