Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:14 AM
WAHM Addict

Default Why Do Companies Place Fake Ads

I saw this on Craigslist and it is in the form of a Google Doc and has a grammar error, they are only asking for name and telephone number. I could see them Phishing for information if they ask for more information.

I just do not get it, it cost to place these ads on Craigslist, what is the purpose. If it is scam or fraud, what is the benefit to them, maybe my head has been in a hole for too long and I am not wise to the world.

Example
Account Executive - Work from Home - $100+/week
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2015, 01:03 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrandmom View Post
I saw this on Craigslist and it is in the form of a Google Doc and has a grammar error, they are only asking for name and telephone number. I could see them Phishing for information if they ask for more information.

I just do not get it, it cost to place these ads on Craigslist, what is the purpose. If it is scam or fraud, what is the benefit to them, maybe my head has been in a hole for too long and I am not wise to the world.

Example
Account Executive - Work from Home - $100+/week
Actually you can place ads on Craigslist for free. A lot of times scammers post fake ads to try and steal information from people. If they asked for your name & # then that is the info they are trying to get. I never send anyone that info on Craigslist, unless I contact them first and they can provide me with a legitimate company name, their position, address of company & a company telephone #. Be careful on Craigslist.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:57 PM
Registered WAHM

I recently applied for several positions on Craigslist and found that about 75% were fake or scams. At first they wanted just the normal type of information you would give for a job application but then, they started asking for things like bank acct. numbers so that they could pay me directly each week. They even sent me a code via text and made me send that to them as to make sure "I" wasn't scamming them...lol.

Another thing I found was they are claiming to be a well-known company and even give that company's site and list their name as for example "Human Resource Executive", so when I looked at site, and saw that name on email matched someone at that big company..I thought it was real. The scams on Craigslist are abundant for sure.

I read an article (have to find it) that says not to answer these ads if they have you reply to an alternate email address (meaning, skipping the use of the CL email). So that is one thing I look for now.

I think they know that people are desperate for work and will jump through hoops in hopes to pay their bills..it's so sad.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:24 PM
WAHM Regular

Default data mining

They might be data mining. They don't always want to steal your identity. Sometimes they just want enough information to sell it to companies who want to advertise to you. Which is still a manner of scamming imho, since they are gathering that information under false pretenses; just not as bad as phishing.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:04 AM
WAHM Fanatic

If they ask for a phone number somebody will be calling you to sell you something or to extract more information whether ad placer calls or sells your name

Old 06-11-2015, 11:18 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Fake Ads

What's even worse, they're getting more and more experienced at scamming people like that. Some of them are so skilled it's nearly impossible to notice if they're fake or not until you get scammed.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:14 PM
Registered WAHM

I was supposedly hired from a Craigslist ad for executive assistant. It sounded great! Until they said they couldn't meet with me for about four weeks as they were in Mexico raising funds for needy children and needed my banking information to deposit some funds so I could buy some toys and ship them for the kids....Yikes! Lol...
Old 06-11-2015, 07:07 PM
WAHM Addict

Default Found

I found the one gig I have on Craigslist, but like everyone is saying, the good jobs on there are few and far between. I have never had any problems getting paid or getting the help I need, wish I could find another job this nice.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:31 PM
WAHM Regular

Yeah thats pretty much it!!